Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Top Dog

haven't done earthwork. above ground a grey is a rather timid animal like most wild animals but is so inferior to the red as a fighter that i can't imagine a working bred terrier not taking them down in a hole. this is especially true when you consider most pat/fells & no small number of JRTs are taking & killing coons, which way outclass a grey as a fighter.
my lurcher takes them w/o getting a scratch. coons & feral cats OTH put up a heck of a fight. by extrapolation only, i can't see a 12-15# dog that is killing 10-20# coons not walking over a 8-10# grey.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:45 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
the best coyote deterrent is the coyote version of the original scarecrow, a dead coyote hanging in a prominant spot on the property.
I had to reply to this.

2 years ago, my dad shot one one our farm. He pulled it into the yard were it lay for 2 days (winter time). Then he stood it up in our yard. It stood there all winter. Kept cyotes and neighbour's dogs out of our yard.

So gross. My dad isnt a redneck at all.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 01-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
haven't done earthwork. above ground a grey is a rather timid animal like most wild animals but is so inferior to the red as a fighter that i can't imagine a working bred terrier not taking them down in a hole. this is especially true when you consider most pat/fells & no small number of JRTs are taking & killing coons, which way outclass a grey as a fighter.
my lurcher takes them w/o getting a scratch. coons & feral cats OTH put up a heck of a fight. by extrapolation only, i can't see a 12-15# dog that is killing 10-20# coons not walking over a 8-10# grey.
You must have missed the part in the chart at the top about the size of the terriers, so I have copied and pasted for you.

GREY FOX: 11 dogs have worked grey fox. Average size of dogs that have worked grey fox when height of dog is known: 11 inches.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

it doesn't give weight.
so, i went off an average weight range given to me on a brit terrier board & what i remember from terrier central, where i am learning about earthwork. i don't forsee myself engaging in it on a big scale for sport, but might utilize it for ADC work.
the scale is made up primarily of JRTs & a limited number of dogs, weight for the same height will vary between breeds. i am sure if the numbers were ongoing as the sport becomes more widespread you'd see more variation.
perhaps i should have said a 10-15# dog?
Old 01-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
it doesn't give weight.
so, i went off an average weight range given to me on a brit terrier board & what i remember from terrier central, where i am learning about earthwork. i don't forsee myself engaging in it on a big scale for sport, but might utilize it for ADC work.
the scale is made up primarily of JRTs & a limited number of dogs, weight for the same height will vary between breeds. i am sure if the numbers were ongoing as the sport becomes more widespread you'd see more variation.
perhaps i should have said a 10-15# dog?
Weight can be considered, absolutely. On an average, most Jrts are going to to about 1 -1 1/2 lbs per one inch of height. That being said, I also don't think they are actively hunted like other quarry. Meaning, once out on the hunt the dogs can get into several different quarry with Greys being one of them in the right territory.
Agreed, that chart is limited and was a small study but I also don't think he (Burns) collected the info for very long. In my case, my dog worked his coon in the first part of January, when we went out in June for Groundhog and he was successful, the Chart was closed by then and I don't remember (or even if I knew) when he started it, lol that was a long time ago.

I'll be talking to my friends that are working Terriermen and I'll pick their brains on the subject and get back to you
Old 01-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

if i get into doing earthwork intensively it'll probably be denning coyotes for ADC. in that case i'll use apbt or staffy bullX to get dogs the size needed for coyote.

OTH when i was a kid a neighbor had a JRTXdeer beagle that was a beast. we ran him w/ my dobes on deer & everything else that walked & he was nice hard dog of about 35#.