Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Salty Sea Dog

red fox are also generally smaller than the grey
we get waves, when theres not too many coyotes i see lots of fox, (they seem to like to find me)
but as soon as the coyotes come in the fox dissapear...then a few months later the coys go and the fox come back

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 12-31-2009, 12:54 AM
Top Dog

wow, thats crazy...never knew that about coyotes!! There was just one shot & killed in my home town (suburb of detroit!)...it killed someone's cocker spaniel

Thanks Jessie!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

Foxy
if the reds you're seeing are smaller than the greys it's likely do to a skewed population dynamic. most likely young reds recolonizing after the coyotes have dispersed & older greys that survived the coyotes by treeing.

adult greys are normally 8-10# w/ a max of about 12.
adult reds are nromally 8-12# w/ a max of about 16.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Salty Sea Dog

we actually dont have any wild grey around here, least none ive seen or been called on, and our state dept says theres no known grey population in our county...

but the greys in the zoo ive worked in have always been TALLER than the reds...
so i should have been more "correct" and not said "larger" or "bigger" but instead taller...
all the greys ive ever seen are leggy, while the many reds ive met have all been stockier but less on the height...

ive never worked directly with greys, i love reds though...if only they didnt stink!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 12-31-2009, 11:23 AM
<--------Orson

When we lived in AZ, out in the boonies (desert) They were everywhere, smart, and dangerous. My mother NEVER let us leave without our dogs. We always had 2-3 good sized dogs, our dogs would actually take down coyotes that came to close to the property........and they would EAT THEM I don't know if it was sent out as a warning to the rest or not, but EEEEEEEWWWWWW! It was gross! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
the best coyote deterrent is the coyote version of the original scarecrow, a dead coyote hanging in a prominant spot on the property.
I absolutely believe this......but I don't know many who would want THAT decoration displayed! ahhahahaha Neighbors would be calling them VooDoo doctors and such
Old 12-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I absolutely believe this......but I don't know many who would want THAT decoration displayed! ahhahahaha Neighbors would be calling them VooDoo doctors and such
We do that. Well we dont leave it hanging around, but in the middle of our feild. And it works wonders. Not many people are too keen on the idea though and think its cruel. But I wuld rather have a dead coyote than a dead pet!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 12-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

Greys are shorter and smaller than Reds, they perfer rock dens to dirt dens (reds). I know a guy that use to regularly hunt Greys in CT, MA and NH with Jrts, until he moved to the mid-west. Sadly I never got down to go hunting for the Greys before he moved, as we don't have them here. Although you put you dog at a higher risk with the rock dens by not being able to help the dog or dig to it.
We have both Reds and Coyotes in my area, both at this time they appear to be healthy and abundant.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

adojrts
a grey isn't remotely a match for an adult terrier.

Foxy
don't believe the state guys, if you really want to know check w/ hunters & trappers. greys can be VERY comfortable around human habitation. if coyotes slam the red population, the greys can & will take advantage of the situation to explode & increase their range. i like them they are bold wily little guys that will test the best hounds' endurance. probably the third hardest critter to catch consistantly w/ hounds only bobs & coyotes will test your dogs harder.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Top Dog

Coop
unfortunately just the hide doesn't work anywhere near as good as the whole carcas.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
adojrts
a grey isn't remotely a match for an adult terrier.

Why not??? The jrts that they are using are Unders (10 - 12.5 inches) I can't say from personal experience as I said before but I do know many people that do hunt them with Jrts of that size.
Have you hunted with Jrts in the earth? Just what is your personal experience concerning earthwork?

Here btw, is a size chart of working terriers that was done a few years ago.
Please note the dogs listed for Grey fox and the notes in regards to the terrier size used to hunt them.

As a side note, my dog that I bred and still own is listed there (you had to have proof of working) and he isn't a one shot wonder either, he has proven himself over years as a very nice reliable hunting dog to different quarry.

As another side note, my pup that I just bred.........17 dogs on that list are in her pedigree, most of them in the first 5 generations, top and bottom.

Working Terrier Size

Last edited by adojrts; 12-31-2009 at 11:26 PM. Reason: adding link