Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-29-2009, 12:19 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

IT's such a mess. Deer here are the problem. THey are shooting them in the parks now and not poachers either. They have to. People are all upset about it right until they have a close call. Now turkey are as almost as common as the deer. My son said this one refused to get out of the road. he would inch up in his car and the bird would move a couple inches forward but refused to move out of the way. I think coyotes are an incredibly beautiful animal, same as deer, same as turkey but too much of anything is bad. I would be terrified to own a small dog if I were in an area where they were prevalent. I also wouldn't want to be looking at a dead one either. Especially hanging in my yard.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 12-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Top Dog

My goodness! Those are some horrible stories. I've never had any that bold where I've lived. I wonder if where you guys live...if there's more human encroachment on the wildlife areas...if that makes a difference...like they don't have as good a chance of getting their own food without going for human-dogs. lol. I guess to them...whatever is easiest.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Puppy Dog

I live in a very rural area, and we have a major coyote problem. Due to weather conditions they have eaten very well over the past few years and thier numbers are growing faster than we can keep up. Our provincial government recently announced a program that will pay $20 for every coyote shot by anyone who can legally shoot a gun. They are incredibly smart and I've seen one coyote entice a dog out of a yard where the rest of the pack was hiding and then ambush the poor dog.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Salty Sea Dog

here that is absolutly the problem dober...
infact the town just sold 5 acres of protected wetland to a development company on one end of town and 20 acres of park land on the other side to the same company, this is also the same company that bought 2 10 acres lots of "green space" over the past 2 years.

why?
to build cookie cutter town houses.
the town needed the money and the majority of folks in the town dont realy care for "nature" so aproved the sale of all this protected and green space...
now weve got about 30 acres of houses sitting empty (because they cant sell the damned things) and the turkey, deer and coyote (and even bob cat) are now having to wander through peoples yards just to follow their usual hunting trails.

ive never worried about them using the yard as a cut through we see tracks all the time, and sometimes catch a glimps...but they NEVER bothered with our pets ect...thered be the occasional "lost cat" poster which was likley coyotes, but you rarely heard them and those lost cats were MABE once every couple of months...
now theres new missing cat signs every week and instead of just passing through, there stopping and "watching" on peoples property.
the turkey are getting VERY pushy with the roads too, we have a 6 hour back up because a family of turkeys this past fall decided the road belonged to them.
noone could shoo them away, there were 3 VERY large toms protecting their girls which ive never seen that many toms in a flock before) and over 30 birds total, anyone trying to get out of their cars to move them along were being attacked by the toms (they can move fast conisidering there just cannon balls with feathers) the cops were there, animal control, noone knew what to do it came to "if we cant get them out of the road were going to have to shoot them"
then a frined of mine said "dude wtf" and just very slowly drove THROUGH them, the toms didnt want to move at first but he just kept going, they were either going under the car or were moving...

its not their fault, i mean someone just built a bunch of houses on a peice of land they usually spent thier days looking for bugs on...
but it caused quite a commotion.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 12-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

Yup...it's amazing that I don't see more wild life than I do. Everyone that knows me and knows that I live not in just a rural area, but quite an undisturbed wilderness area in north Idaho...a remarkably unique ecosystem, as a matter of fact, notoriously, one of the last (almost) pristine wilderness areas left in the U.S...are surprised that I don't see more wildlife than I do. I know they're there. I have had a bear come on my property maybe a total of 3 times in almost 9 years, deer sometimes and coyotes maybe once or twice that I know of. I only heard them...didn't see them. Down the road, a Grizzly bear killed a bull moose behind someone's house in the woods. There have been moose poops in my yard a few times.

But besides my 5 acres and the acreage parcells around me that are established...not much in the way of new homes, there are thousands of acres of gov. land around me. So, I figure most of the time, the animals have enough to eat without having to come too close. The resorts here (rustic cabin type resorts) do get bear in their dumpsters sometimes in summer. Camp grounds warn about bear and feeding animals etc. So, they do come around, but it doesn't seem like a completely out of balance situation.

However, I do go out with my Chis and stay close, just because that one night when I did hear the coyotes VERY close, having a party. They sounded like they were in my driveway.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

Here we are super rural, I live on 400 acres and am surrounded by farms our size or bigger, can't remember the last brand new home that was built on our road besides one in the little village at the corner. Here I have my doubts that it is because of new homes and developments, they are simply thriving! I had heard our government was putting a bounty on them though, and I am not sure how I feel about that to be perfectly honest... I am at work and trying to read and reply on my BlackBerry... LOL
Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
here that is absolutly the problem dober...
infact the town just sold 5 acres of protected wetland to a development company on one end of town and 20 acres of park land on the other side to the same company, this is also the same company that bought 2 10 acres lots of "green space" over the past 2 years.

why?
to build cookie cutter town houses.
That is not the case out here, very difficult if not almost impossible to build a new house on agricultural land let alone gov. land. It just doesn't happen very often and there are certainly no housing developments.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Top Dog

Our problem is this was all farm land thats now being built up into developments. The city people move out here and are shocked when fluffy foo foo gets eaten when they leave them tied outside. They have learned where they can get food without getting shot and where its easy. We never even used to see them ten years ago. I think they used to eat the wild stuff and not rely on house pets.

They scare me-a lot. We had issue with a neighbor leaving all her cats and moving this last summer. The coyotes moved in to take care of what we couldn't catch. The noises they made where unreal. It was like being in a scary movie. I had to go feed the horses who were freaking out and I'd see a coyote dart behind the barn and then hear these horrible screams.

Someone just told me about how they can "throw their voice" so it sounds like they are farther away when they are actually close to you.

We have seen more foxes lately to but I think someone here is doing a trap and release with them because they are not that scared of people and just showed up all of a sudden.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

coyotes will go out of their way to kill fox & since they don't tree well they usually slam the reds bad & the greys seem to do better then.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
coyotes will go out of their way to kill fox & since they don't tree well they usually slam the reds bad & the greys seem to do better then.
Someone, can't remember who, once told me Fox and Coyote don't tend to share territory, that may be why then? (If it's true, I can't remember where I heard it.. LOL)