Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Ontario BSL rescue

Default Bully Breeds and Skin Sensitivity

As of yesterday I'm fostering a bull dog mix who is about a year old and has been in a pound or rescue for seven months of that. He has a bit of a rash around his eyes and his groin. It doesn't seem to annoy him all the time, but he does scratch at his face a few times per day. Because the rescue group depends on food donations, this guy changes food about every two weeks. I'm not sure if food or something else irritates him. Are there recommendations for managing skin irritations in bull dogs? I'm told by the rescue group that this is common, but I can't help but think that there is something I can do to improve it for him now that he's getting lots of one-on-one attention.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Top Dog

This site should help.Skin Problems in Bulldogs My dad had one long before I was born and never mentioned any skin problems. My dad once scolded him for going on the carpet and the dog, named Mack, went over and picked up a bowling ball and smashed my Grandma's china cabinet with it. He also would get revenge by defecating on the dinning room table.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:26 PM
feel the magic

Has the dog been seen by a vet to rule out mange??
Old 12-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Your Mom

Skin problems are very common in all bully breeds. If it's around his eyes and groin it makes me think demodex, which is something that is usually made worse through food issues (so if he has to switch it up all the time then that isn't helping). Will the rescue have him vetted and have a skin scraping done?

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 12-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

If by Bulldog mix you mean "English Bulldog", the face wrinkles are prone to yeast infection due to moisture retention. If you mean Bulldog as in Pittie-type dog, and he's rubbing his face, it could be mange or allergies. Facial and foot irritation is one of the most common signs of a food sensitivity.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 12-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
It doesn't seem to annoy him all the time, but he does scratch at his face a few times per day.
Hi Corky... Maybe he's used to it... bringing him to vet would be best...
Old 12-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Ontario BSL rescue

Thanks for the link, Texas Ranger.

I understand that this dog was vetted, but I don't know when and will ask. The dog is more of an American Bulldog type, not English, so there aren't many folds. There is less fur where I see the redness and perhaps that's what makes it more obvious. I probably wouldn't see it if he had more fur. I just looked at photos of mange and demodex online and that isn't what I'm seeing at all. There is no patchy hair loss and no bumpy rash, just generalized redness, like sunburn, in the groin and around the eyes.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Salty Sea Dog

it sounds like allergies...

i would have a skin scraping done anyway (its not invasive its generally quick and shouldnt cost much)
just to be certain (ive seen demodex that looked nothing like demodex soo...always best to be safe...

if not then its time to focus on allergies...

what food is he currently eating (of course switching foods constantly wont help)
first step would be to get him on a corn free diet (corn is the #1 allergen in dogs) and work back from there with the protein source (if the food right now is a chicken and corn, try a chicken and rice, if that still bothers try a lamb and rice or a duck and sweet potatoe ect...)
an allergy pannel might be worth getting done, but they can be expensive...

id also suggest a peppermint and teatrea shampoo with oatmeal to help with the red and itchies
or a honey/yoghurt mask on the red spots to help sooth.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Ontario BSL rescue

Hi Foxy. I can just imagine Corky with a yogurt mask on his face. LOL Actually, I'm sure its no more de-dogulating than the booties Hubby makes him wear in the snow.

His last food was Science Diet Adult and his skin was red on it. The bag that was dropped off with him two days ago is Summit - Canadian Chicken. We'll see how that goes. My dogs eat President's Choice Lamb and Rice (my Keeshond has skin and bowel issues. This is the best food for him, better than any high-priced product I tried. I think he needs higher grain content). If the Summit doesn't work, I can try the Lamb and Rice.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Salty Sea Dog

good luck.

i use yoghurt and honey on my hairless cresties skin, he gets dry spots and black heads like all cresties lol...

i do 12 a cup yoghurt, a table spoon of honey, mix well and if possible le it sit for about 5 mins...
jsaper likes to lick as much as possible off in that time so i geenrally leave sime in the bowl and put that infront of his face so he can like that instead of whats on him (and yes its safe for them to eat (and you, its yummy !)
then rinse.
yoghurt has alot of alpha hydroxies its a mild exfoliant AND a moisturizer, and honey is anti-bacterial (helps cear out the pours and protect them from infection) the combination is also very skin soothing.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets