Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Active Pup

Question Soft lump above tail

I posted a photo of Bertie in the Christmas thread earlier and it's the first pic i've taken of him where this lump is clearly visable, maybe someone here has seen similar conditions on their dogs. We know he has a skin condition (probably eczema) on his lower back which causes dry, itchy skin, don't know if the two are related.

I first noticed it about 3 years ago, luckily he allows me to examine and touch it. It feels like a water blister or liquid cyst, doesn't affect him in any way and isn't painful when touched. After a few weeks it began to shrink and eventually disappeared then became visable again after another month or so. It has been coming and going like this for the past 3 years. My family didn't want to take him to the vet incase it was cancerous or life threatening but after so long it hasn't gotten worse or any larger so rather than put him through any unnecessary surgery or treatment we've left it alone.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Twin 2.0

That kind of looks like a hernia or inflamed anal sac. I think you probably should take him to get it checked out, if that was accidentally "popped" by something, you would be risking a huge infection.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Top Dog

Yikes! Thats definitely a vet worthy lump.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Active Pup

That's what I thought it might be, something to do with the anal glands, but it's actually above his tail and nowhere near the anus. He needs his nails clipped so i'll ask the vet to check it out when i'm there.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Ontario BSL rescue

One of my dogs has a similar tumor. The vet drew a sample of the fluid from it and tests came back later telling me it wasn't cancer, just fat. Because he's 11 the vet advised us not to operate unless the lump bothered him. Its worth having the aspiration biopsy done.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Top Dog

Has he seen a vet in these 3 years and what did they say ?

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-03-2010, 03:38 PM
:( only one :(

At that size I would get a vet to check it out.

Hope it's nothing more then fatty tissue.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Active Pup

Thank you all for your replies, I really do hope it's just a cyst or lipoma. Apparently they're common in older dogs, especially labradors.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 PM
tessa_s212

Lipomas (fatty tumors) are very common in some breeds, especially as they get older. However, it is ALWAYS smartest to get any lump checked by a vet to make sure it is not harmful. Also, I've seen some lipomas become VERY, VERY large to the point where they effect the dog's quality of life. It is best to get them seen and removed before it gets to that point.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

hope it's nothing too serious. it's definitely worthy of being checked out though. good luck ..sending positive vibes your way and keep us posted!