Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-20-2009, 12:00 AM
<--------Orson

Default Squeaker toys encourage aggression?

I was watching something the other day, I can't remember what it was and it's driving me nuts! I don't remember if it was a video, commercial, or various training show! ARGH!

Anyway, I heard them say something about squeaker toys imitating the cries of "prey" when they are caught and screaming. This encourages aggression in high prey drive dogs or some such

I never really gave it much thought before, but I know Orson ADORES his squeaky toys! He has never harmed another living creature (except a mole he brought in once), not even Marty the parrot when he's out walking/flying around. I do believe he would kill a squirrel if he could catch them in the backyard, but they are quick to scurry up the tree or over the fence. Not sure about cats, he's never really had the chance, and he does have DA, but am I creating a "would be" killer of small animals by suppling these squeaky toys that he loves?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Love My Mutt <3

oh yah... Rosey has ALWAYS had squeaker toys, only toys she will play with. She is vicious, vicious vicious vicious. I swear, I cannot trust her around ANYTHING anymore.

OK, who am I kidding?
This is the 50lb dog that was cornered by a 2lb ferret..... I think that is pretty much bull, imho lol
Old 12-20-2009, 12:08 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Cesar Milan said that on one of his shows the other day. about a pittie he was rehabilitating.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Just try me..

Agression and prey drive are not really the same thing. At least not how most pet people see it. If their cat kills a mouse the don't assume its going to start killing other cats and attacking humans.

But a dog kills a cat and somehow that makes it 'aggressive'

I bet sweaky toys could be argued to be a good outlet for prey drive 'needs'
Old 12-20-2009, 12:15 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

we get our prey outlet from a flirt pole with a squeeky fox tail made from REAL fox hide.
some might not think shelties have prey drive, but thats what herding is. modified prey drive.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:17 AM
<--------Orson

OH! I bet you are right dogsarebetter! He's on reruns here late at night, I am a channel surfer when Kevin starts snoring.........I bet anything that's where I heard it (Cesar Milan while falling in and out of sleep, OY! LOL) That was the only part to stick out in my subconscious........squeaker toys = bad! LOL

And that sounds good Dekka! I didn't mean I thought him playing with squeakers was going to make him get blood thirsty and attack US or anything, LOL, I just wondered if I were helping turn him against smaller animals or keeping his DA going/getting worse by encouraging his squeaker love, LOL

He really does love them, and I would hate to take them away from him. I hope it's a good outlet, I know he enjoys them like nothing else!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

Erm... maybe it encourages aggression... towards the squeaky toy. Shippo loves to violently kill his squeaky toys... but he hasn't become a blood-thirsty beast towards anything else yet. XD

Eevee
13-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 12-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Ruddy Buttinski

I think it can encourage aggression...in owners! Pup, stop squeaking the @$#*! squeaker already!!!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Snow Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsarebetter View Post
we get our prey outlet from a flirt pole with a squeeky fox tail made from REAL fox hide.
some might not think shelties have prey drive, but thats what herding is. modified prey drive.
I have a fox tail flirt pole too! And a coon one! Fantastic for providing some great work outs!

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 12-20-2009, 08:25 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

i would be lost without mine!

And i work on the leave it command with my flirt pole to. I will get them all crazy over it and then in mid flight tell them to leave it. until i give them the release command.