Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Top Dog

what if he has an insulin-secreting tumor??

Old 12-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

I can't think of a single disease that does it in dogs. Hyperglycemia can be caused by lots of fun stuff but hypoglycemia is a different beats.

Lots of exercise can cause hypoglycemia, is that perhaps the case? Body expends all its fast energy reserves and doesn't get much back.

But then again, it might not even be hypoglycemic. If it comes back and honey fixes it repeatedly, then that could be the case, but normally the body is extremely good at conserving glucose since it's so important so hypoglycemia is relatively rare. I wouldn't say a one off honey-fix means he's hypoglycemic.

Anyhow the only thing I can really think of that's wrong internally that would cause it is:
1) Body isn't filtering blood correctly and letting too much sugar out through the urine.
2) An issue with the enzyme (I think it's an enzyme at least) Glucagon, which is pretty much the opposite of Insulin. Insulin stores glucose into glycogen, and Glucagon liberates glucose from glycogen.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 12-14-2009, 05:52 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Mary shivered when she was in severe pain associated with her pancreas. I pray this is not the reason your dog is doing this.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 12-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Top Dog

He hasn't shivered since the honey, which was yesterday. So I didn't call the vet yet. I wonder if I should still take him in if it stopped.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Yorkie Love

if you are nervous and taking him in will make you feel better go ahead... but if he stopped now I probably wouldnt go in unless it started up again!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Top Dog

Is it possible she's just nervous? One of my dog's gets nervous over everything and starts to shake. When the fire alarm beeps, if the fan over the stove is on, in the car....just a nervous pup.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Top Dog

hmmm , very interesting...
I would keep a close eye on your dog and see if anything changes. Just make sure the she's comfortable, has a normal temperature, and if it occurs again, take her to the vet asap.

Can you just call and talk to your vet over the phone for advice? try that and see that they say, that would probably be best!

good luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Top Dog

I'm pretty sure he wasn't nervous.. he was resting, plus he's not a nervous dog at all. My other dog is but not Caesar. I will call and see what they say.. it still hasn't happened since the other day.