Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 12-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Active Pup

Default Puppy food recommendations

I saw the other thread, but since that was looking for holistic food, I didn't want to hijack the thread.

Sandy has been on Science Diet since that's what the shelter was giving her. I bought a huge bag of Solid Gold which is what we used to feed our older dogs back in the day (before we had kids).

The Science Diet doesn't seem to bother her, but in my mind the Solid Gold was better. Before I make the transition to a new food I thought I should ask and see what you liked for your puppies?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Just try me..

Well mine eat raw.

But back when I was feeding kibble the puppies I did have were on evo as pups.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Top Dog

Solid Gold is an excellent food; IMO it's probably one of the best brands out there. The drawback is that it's terribly expensive. Evo is probably better, and of course if you have the time to learn how to prepare it right, raw diet is the best. But if you like solid gold I'd stick with it.

You're right, Science Diet is not a very good food, it has tons of corn and other fillers.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Active Pup

For my own puppies, I only buy regular dog food like Pedigree which is specialty for puppies that they can chew only small instead of big ones. It' s one of our basics till they got big, and now they can chew big.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:32 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteteeth View Post
For my own puppies, I only buy regular dog food like Pedigree which is specialty for puppies that they can chew only small instead of big ones. It' s one of our basics till they got big, and now they can chew big.
Whiteteeth, most of the big names (pedigree,iams,etc) in the dog food industry have pretty bad quality food. You should do a little reading on why or start/look for another thread for the welfare of your dog so we don't hijack this one lol.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Salty Sea Dog

pedigree is like eating macdonalds and cardboard...same with eukanuba and iams...

i cant say much my parents cocker eats pedigree, but thats only because its the only thing he can eat without smelling like a sewage plant...

however it is a REALY REALY bad/low qulity food.
generally anyhting you can buy at the grocery store is the eqivalent of flavored cardboard in terms of nutritional value...
anything you can buy at MOST vets is only a little bit better...

science diet contains alot of fillers and flavorings at a high price...while shes "doign ok" is she thriving...
solid gold, evo ect are all great foods...i say go for it

the rest of the dogs in my hosue get kirklands chicken and rice.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets