Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

Default Is this normal or is my vet ripping me off?

My vet is really nice, but she's pretty young, and I am getting the feeling that I'm being way overcharged.

On Thanksgiving Zoe cut her leg, so I took her to the 24 hour animal hospital where she got stitches. This Monday I had an appoinement with my vet to get the stitches out, and the bill was $99. I was in her office for literally 8 minutes. She pulled the stitches out with her fingers, rebandaged it, wrote a script for antiobiotics (which were only $22 of the whole bill).

Ok, that was fine. On Monday she said, come back later this week and we'll check it. So, today I go in and she spent even less time with me. Took the bandage off, said she needed a few more days with the bandage on, rebandaged it, and was gone. Bill was $66. $42 was for the office visit, and $18 to change the bandage. I could have done that! And, now she wants me to come back AGAIN on Monday to have it checked AGAIN. Sheesh am I paying off her college tuition or what? I love my dog, but should I look for a new vet?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

My vet has $45 office visits. I don't know where you are, but that sounds pretty standard to me.

If you're comfortable changing the bandages yourself, go for it--otherwise, you're paying for her reassurance that the paw is healing.

Edit: I see you're in SF. That's a pretty expensive city, similar to DC, so it sounds on par to me.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 12-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Top Dog

A hundred bucks to remove stitches? That is nuts. My vet does not charge for follow up visits, period. Although they may charge if a bandage needed to be change, but they would ask me if I wanted to do it, which I would.
I would ask her to justify the costs item by item and I would also be looking for a more reasonable vet.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:09 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

here office visits are only $25
so, i guess it depends where you live.

i cannot imagine a $45 office visit, much less the rechecks, etc.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Top Dog

I went on YELP, which if you're not familiar with it is a website where people post personal experiences about local businesses. Her reviews were not that good- most complaining that she spent very little time with you (always the case with me) and over charged. Hmm. I think I need to start researching another vet. I think I'd prefer someone with more experience anyway. I forgot to mention when I went today I also told her I thought Zoe may also have kennel cough. She didn't even seem concerned or run any tests. She just said "Well, we already have her on antibiotics for her foot, so she should be fine in a few days". Um, ok.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
My vet does not charge for follow up visits, period.
WOW! That's awesome! You're very lucky

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Top Dog

My vet charges $45 for an office visit.. but they don't charge for followups, and they certainly don't charge for removing stitches that they put in. Two of my ferrets require monthly shots (well just one now), and I get to see the actual vet (not just a tech) when I bring them in and discuss any other problems they may have been having and I'm only charged the cost of the shot or any other meds they need (no office visit charge).
Old 12-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Mine doesn't charge for follow up visits, either.

I don't think I would feel comfortable with a vet who doesn't take the time to get to me and my dog. I understand it's a business, but I need to go to someone I can trust with my dog.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:06 PM
treehugging clicker freak

$35 for an office visit, here. Follow up is like $20 I think, but if there are more follow ups after that no office fee charge.

And I think that's high for stiches removal. But that's just me

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 12-10-2009, 08:30 PM
F150 and a .30-06

With our vet they do charge for the fallow up visit if they have to do something. However they remove the stitches for free. Eg when Jazz hurt her neck, we went in a week later and they checked and removed them for free

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show