Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Top Dog

I think after Argon, or maybe even with things are more strable, I'll be getting a long haired whippet. I just hope I can find a good breeder for them.
I looked at Lurchers also, but I was a little put off by the lack of consistancy.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Just try me..

Long haired whippets are VERY rare. (there is a group breeding percentage whippets.. they out cross them to get hairy whippet like dogs, but its not a standardized breeding program in any way. And they mix various breeds in so you aren't likey to get the whippet temperament)

If anyone ever wants one I can point you in a direction
Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
I think after Argon, or maybe even with things are more strable, I'll be getting a long haired whippet. I just hope I can find a good breeder for them.
I looked at Lurchers also, but I was a little put off by the lack of consistancy.
the consistancy is in the specific crosses all collieXs look like collieXs, bullXs look like bullXs, wheatonXs look like wheatonXs. it would be ridiculous to expect consistancy between different crosses or follow on breedings of first crosses. even their performances are different due to the specific cross. it's like being put off by the lack of consistancy at the shelter.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Taxiderpy

Not the same thing as a LHW by any means, but you will get a very consistently sight hound temperament with them. I've met several and they all have a strong playful streak.The lines are made a pure whippet, borzoi, and some long haired whippety dogs from Walter Wheeler.

If you're looking for a companion, it would probably be much easier getting your hands on a silken windhound than a LHW.

Kennel Kristull - Silken Windhound History
Old 12-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

Pops2- Thats exactly what I mean. If I am going to go through a breeder, I would want consistancy. Otherwise, I would go to a shelter and choose a greyhound mix of some sort. I am just looking for a pet who may dabble in sports, I understand that you have working dogs are are looking for something more.
I've looked at Silken Windhounds also and I haven't discounted them yet.

As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:14 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

I was looking in to silkens. I even contacted a breeder. she acted like she thought they were too soft for me.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
Pops2- Thats exactly what I mean. If I am going to go through a breeder, I would want consistancy. Otherwise, I would go to a shelter and choose a greyhound mix of some sort. I am just looking for a pet who may dabble in sports, I understand that you have working dogs are are looking for something more.
I've looked at Silken Windhounds also and I haven't discounted them yet.
you're missing the point. within a specific style of cross, the consistancy (especially in first crosses) is often as good or better than in purebreds because performance is the focus and form really does follow function. OTH expecting consistancy between different crosses is like expecting the same conformation between a beagle & a bloodhound since they are both hounds. most lurchermen like a specific style of cross so you aren't likely to see a breeder w/ beddyXwhippets, fellXwhippet, jrtXwhippet, collieXgreys, wheatonX, airedaleX & bullX and mixes of them. what you'll find is one style for a specific purpose like fox, deer or rabbit and the lurcherman accepting less than superior performance on other game.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Top Dog

Ah, I understand where we missed eachother. I was looking at Lurchers as a whole, while you are looking more at the specific crosses that make up the whole, right?

Old 12-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Top Dog

Exactly
Old 12-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsarebetter View Post
I was looking in to silkens. I even contacted a breeder. she acted like she thought they were too soft for me.
The silkens I have met (granted only 2) have seemed softer than whippets. BUt some whippets are really soft too...