Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 12-09-2009, 11:48 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Default Is it so wrong...

...for a breeder to make money?

A Doberman friend and I were comparing puppy prices on various breeder we knew in different regions. These are quality breeders with titled, and tested stock you breed only occasionaly.

Assuming the breeder is perfectly responsible, is it so wrong if they have enough quality homes that are willing to pay a extra $1000 per puppy and they actually end up making money?

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Resident fainting goat

I dont think making money is the problem. I dont care if the breeder is making money

but if making money is the PRIME MOTIVATION in them breeding dogs, then in my opinion,thats a problem. because then it becomes about profit per puppy sold, lots of litters etc.. it becomes a business operation.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Top Dog

The fact is most breeders that are doing it right don't make money. That doesn't mean none of them do. If a breeder can do it properly and still make money, then that's great. They're finally getting a monetary reward for their hard work.

I'd much rather pay a high price to a responsible breeder than pay anything to a BYB or puppy mill.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Yorkie Love

I dont see a problem with it... the breeder is doing me a service, right?

I want a dog and I cant just go make myself one (well I could, but you get the point...)

So, I dont mind if they make money from it... I refuse to pay thousands for a dog though... I am going to pay enough throughout the dogs lifetime I really dont think I would want to go above 1500 or so for a puppy, so if they raised it to 2500 just to make the extra profit, I wouldnt buy from them but I also wouldnt fault them if they were able to get buyers.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Boxer Buddy

This is going to be hard to explain without sounding like a for profit person, which i do not agree with...

1. You get what you pay for...and if the breeder is making money on the litter i think they didn't include ALL the costs of the dogs involved including anything routine for caring for the dog up until that litter! But speaking of JUST breeding expenses, sure, it can be done.

2. Being in dogs is a "business" of sorts...now saying that,i don't mean go out to be a money making venture in and of itself. But, a business because your reputation is at stake when you deal with outside people. So, you raise the dogs, you show and train and health test, you are held to standards that average byb's find ridiculous, and yet you accomplish this and then you move on to....finding good homes for your puppies, you charge for your puppies, and you follow up usually for the life of the dog! This to me makes it a business. Now...with that being said, i am in dogs for myself, but can't forget that when i want to place my puppies, i need to have in mind that each placement of each puppy reflects on myself and my breeding program.
So do i think someone should breed solely for money, NO WAY, but when you break it down being in dogs is alot like being in business.

PoodleMommy- Most people see paying 1000's for a puppy as unreasonable because they will have to care and pay to care for the dog through its life. I try to show people that it is AN INVESTMENT. Usually someone that is paying that price for a dog, are going to breeders that show, health test, work their dogs and do amazing research before even considering a breeding, HOPEFULLY saving you ALOT of money in vetcare and other expenses for the life of the dog. It really is amazing how it works out too. Is it always like that, no, there are no guarantees in ANYTHING! But i do understand where people are coming from....a good home should be the most important thing, not the price! (for the breeder)

My basic feeling is this, "I" have put time, effort , blood , sweat and tears into this breeding. "You" as a stranger want a healthy (again no guarantee nothing goes wrong), researched pedigree/breeding, that will hopefully be a household companion for you for years to come. I want to know that YOU are the best home for my puppy, the price is secondary. BUT, if you think that means, FREE or CHEAP, that would be incorrect and is slightly offensive!

Hmmm me thinks i got a tad off topic

Old 12-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I think I came out $100 ahead on my last litter ... that's as much profit as I see! LOL

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Aroooooo!

I still think breeders do make money.

If you count the price of their dog, and the cost of getting the dog titled and whatnot, yeah, its less.

But I argued on another forum where the poster was adding the cost as she went along. She spent about $6,000 for the litter total. including shots and all. And everyone kept saying she was only gonna have about 4 pups. But had a waiting list a mile long. (This was for goldens.)

She ended up having something like 10 or 12 puppies. At $1200 a pop, thats quite a bit of money, so yeah I do think they can end up making money.

I do, however, think it's harder for toy breeders to make money, with just a couple puppies a litter.

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Boxer Buddy

well it would all even out if you got 11 or 12 in each litter, but an average 5-7 puppies doesn't really leave you much....as personally my pet puppies don't cost what my show puppies do. Nor do alot of breeders..but i get what you are saying.

If you add up the money invested in showing and titling not alot makes up for it. Dunno i guess if you charged 1200 for allyour pups you could make money fairly easy.

Interesting topic!

Old 12-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

I always saw some profit but it always went into a dog account . It's expensive to do the right testing etc .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Squishy22

My issue is with breeders who do no health testing AND dont show, who charge 1500 per pup. These breeders are making a lot of money for their next chanel bag and trips to Bahamas. I know pit bull breeders charging 5 grand per pup, and their litters are as large as 13 puppies. The scary thing is that they can find buyers very very easily.