Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 PM
F150 and a .30-06

CKC, AKC, or both is a good thinh. However it doesnt garentee quality. Ask what health testing they do. Not just vet visits, I mean hip and elbow scores, or whatever the breed needs. Dont be fooled by seamingly good reasons why they dont do it.

Anything teacup is bad. Merle isnt bad just merle to merle breedings. If they advertise rare colors stear clear.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 12-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm All Ears

Merle is actually iffy in chihuahuas like it is in a few other breeds (cockers, poms, etc). It wasn't originally in the breed (dominant and cannot be carried) and was likely introduced by someone sneaking in another breed (probably dachshund). For this reason merle is not allowed in chis in most registries however it has become slightly more accepted in the AKC world. I think there are two AKC merle chihuahua champions now. Merle is a big debate still though and a lot of people are still against it being accepted.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:33 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I ment as a general rule in breeds who can be merle.

I would stear away from a iffy merle breed, Not long ago blue and fawn dobermans were a no no. It would depend on everything else.

As for the breeder you posted RUN.

You are only 3hrs from me. PM me and I will send you links of some good breeders in the area.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 12-10-2009, 11:04 AM
~Chi 4 Me~

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
CKC, AKC, or both is a good thinh. However it doesnt garentee quality. Ask what health testing they do. Not just vet visits, I mean hip and elbow scores, or whatever the breed needs. Dont be fooled by seamingly good reasons why they dont do it.

Anything teacup is bad. Merle isnt bad just merle to merle breedings. If they advertise rare colors stear clear.
Thanks, I would never have thought to ask those kinds of questions. I can be easily thrown off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Merle is actually iffy in chihuahuas like it is in a few other breeds (cockers, poms, etc). It wasn't originally in the breed (dominant and cannot be carried) and was likely introduced by someone sneaking in another breed (probably dachshund). For this reason merle is not allowed in chis in most registries however it has become slightly more accepted in the AKC world. I think there are two AKC merle chihuahua champions now. Merle is a big debate still though and a lot of people are still against it being accepted.
I've found this so far on the non-against it debate:

"Merle is a Pattern, not a color, which dilutes the base color of the dog. It is not recessive in the Chihuahua, so if the dog has the gene, it will BE a Merle. Hidden Merles may be present when the Merling has faded as the dog grows, as with fawn Merles. Breeding a Merle with a Merle can be very dangerous, causing health problems such as blindness & deafness."

quoted from this site
:Wee Chi Chihuahua's - Merle Information

this is a site where I've actually met a lady that has a couple of Chi's from these breeder's & only has positive things to say...(of course, right?) anyways she happens to be the same woman that hosts the Chihuahua meetup here in Calgary. I sent her an email a couple of months ago, stating that I was back looking once again, and I haven't heard back from her.

I thank you for wanting to help me find a good site in my area, but I really think that I am going to just have to do that work myself, as I am VERY picky. & what someone else might think are adorable looks for a Chi, I may not.

I had someone very kind send me some links, but they assumed that I was just looking for any old dog.

I like them smaller, I like the short coat, Apple head, Short snout, White, Cream, a solid color, I like the ears a certain way, if I have to wait for a litter for the next four years, so be it.

This is the site I've come across for Canadian Chi's CKC registered:

Chihuahua Breeders - Canada's Guide to Dogs - Breed Clubs

These are the site's in Canada I need to do more work on, because I liked the way some of the Chi's looked:

Welcome To My Homepage
Available pups
Exotic Puppies for Sale - Breeder - Texas
Kimza Chihuahuas.Phoenix, Arizona.
Good Info:Merle Chihuahuas
Calgary chi Meetup lady bought pup here: Wee Chi Chihuahua's - Home
merles
VALPAR - PUPPIES - www.123minsida.se/vboxchis
Our chiahuahuas photo gallery : Mini-Chihuahuas

I also have a few more out of the *Dogs Annual In Canada*, they're older mags, I should probably get a little more up to date.

Calgary Canine Agility Club
Competitive Service Dog of Alberta
Chihuahua Relief & Rescue Society
Chi Rescue, The Chi Club of B.C. The Chi Club of Canada
The Canadian Chi Rescue & Transport
Small Breed Rescue (canada)

~~~~~~~~

With all that said, it would be very nice to have an *IN* from someone else, whom has been there done that, dealt with so & so.... I just hope it's not taken as a slap in the face if I disagree about how I think the breed looks.

~~~~~~~

I've definitely gotten a lot of Great Tips so far. Thank You.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Twin 2.0

Merle is not something that just "randomly" crops up, it's a dominant gene and if a dog has it, it will be expressed. I don't know a massive amount about the color history of Chi's though, maybe this was something that used to be culled at birth as "mismarked" or something. ~Jessie~ would be a better person to answer this though.

Chi's are a very small breed to begin with, so by "smaller size" I'm not sure how small you're thinking. Everything else you were describing is pretty easy to come by.

"ConKC" is "Continental Kennel Club" and is a joke of registry. It was created as a way for puppymillers and other bad breeders to be able to register their litters and therefore charge more for "papers".

"CanKC" is the Canadian Kennel Club and is legit. BE VERY SURE to ask which "CKC" a breeder is meaning if they only have the initials listed.

ANY registration is only worth the paper it's produced on...it's like having a car title. The paper will say that the dog/car is supposedly of the breed/brand it's supposed to be, but it says nothing about the actual quality. Even rusted out, broken down cars in the junkyard still have a title. Just the same, even the worst, most sickly dog out there can still be "registered". It's up to the buyer to be aware of what is behind that piece of paper.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Wookie Collie

6XlegZ, just wanted to pipe in and commend you for being careful on your choice of breeders. In all honesty it's very hard to find good breeders for most breeds nowadays, but even harder for chihuahuas since they've become so popularized... breeders saturate the market with poorly bred examples of the breed.

It will be frustrating at first, but stick with it, and we'll help you out!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 12-10-2009, 01:10 PM
~Chi 4 Me~

Thumbs up

Thank You so much! I want to do this the RIGHT way.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:36 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Canuck Dogs: Prairies - Alberta Breed Listings

You can allways sort through and see if you like something. for the most part these are good breeders

Old 12-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Squishy22

I personally dont have a problem with merle in chihuahuas. 1500-2000 for a puppy, no thanks. That first breeder is looking for money and its quite obvious. I HATE seeing the word "teacup" and "micromini", as if they have something special.Two thumbs DOWN. As far as size goes, I wouldn't want anything under 3 pounds. There IS such thing as TOO small. ugh.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Squishy22

Foxywench would be a good member to talk to as well.