Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 PM
~Chi 4 Me~

Question Safe Breeder or Not?

Sorry I was really unsure where to post this..

I keep coming across sites that tell me what to look for when I am being scammed for buying a pup or adult.

Yet I find it confusing when a site that seems that it may not be a scam, also goes into detail about other sites being scams, & what words to run from, and than they themselves turn around and do the exact same thing (using rare, or merle, or show potential at such a young age(which cannot be told until about 4 months..?), only 2 lines later. Yet they also state that they have AKC & CKC registered pups.

I guess if I am really set on becoming serious with that site/breeder, I can do a back ground check on them?

Or can I ask to speak to their past cliental?

I guess I am answering my own question. I am just kind of bummed, since I have been watching this one particular site for the last few years. I contacted the breeder one time, and she was kind of curt. I thought that maybe I asked for something I shouldn't have been.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm All Ears

It would be easier to understand with a link to what you mean. What breed are you looking for?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Yorkie Love

You could post the site here and get some opinions on it... you may get it more ripped apart then you are looking for...

You can ask for references, I did with a breeder once... but I will say this, the people they list as references, they KNOW are going to say good things... they are not going to list people who have had bad experiences or have complained.

Finding a good breeder is difficult... if you post the location you are looking in... some posters may be able to help you find a good one or at least point you in the right direction!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
It would be easier to understand with a link to what you mean. What breed are you looking for?
They are looking at Chi's.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm All Ears

There are quite a few people here with Chis. I'm sure you could PM ~Jessie~ the breeder's site and she'll have some ideas.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 PM
~Chi 4 Me~

Oh, okay I wasn't sure if that was allowed,

CHIHUAHUA PUPPIES for sale Chihuahua Breeders TEACUP Chihuahua puppy AKC applehead cobby Tiny

No, it's okay, I think this site/breeder will be ripped apart. It is just another way to learn what not to do...& such.

Sorry about that, I am interested in Chihuahua's.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

The fact that they bred 'teacups' is a very very bad thing to steer very very very far away from!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 PM
~Chi 4 Me~

Well there we go, it stats *teacup* I didn't know it would for the link. My bad.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm All Ears

Just very quickly looking over the first couple pages.

1) They use the terms 'teacup', 'tiny', 'micro', 'mini' and 'toy' which is something you want to avoid in any toy breed breeder. Chis and other toys come in one size, teacup is a marketing ploy used to sell sickly, undersized pups. No reputable breeder will sell teacups or anything like that.

2) CKC as in Con KC is not a reputable registry. Also, just because a dog is registered does not mean it is quality. Now CKC as in Can KC is a different story. Just noticed you're in Canada so I'm probably thinking of the wrong CKC.

3) They advertise 'champion lines' as a selling point for their dogs while their own breeding stock is mostly lacking in titles. A few are champed though...

3) They have a lot of available puppies at the same time. While not always a bad sign, I'd be concerned with a breeder that has that many litters at once.

For the price they're asking, you can get a well bred chihuahua from health tested parents. Look for a breeder that shows or does something else with their dogs and who has a guarantee. I'm not sure what health certs you'd be looking for in chis, I'll let the chi people tell you that.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 PM
~Chi 4 Me~

Thank You.