Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-07-2009, 08:34 PM
just call me Nilly

Default *sigh* looking at Golden breeders.

We're still a few years away from another dog, but here's the scoop.

Matt and I have been in agreement for YEARS that our next dog would be a Newfie. He has always, unwaveringly, wanted a Golden Retriever, but I DO NOT, so we agreed on Newfoundlands as something with the qualities we both want in a dog.

Well. I picked Sierra (or Sierra found me, either way, she was my say and I fought for her). So I agreed that when the time comes he ultimately will get to say our next dog is. As much as he likes Newfs, that is a compromise to him, and wouldn't be his top pick.

So I can pretty much guarantee to you that we will end up getting a Golden.

*sigh*

There are HUNDREDS of Golden Retriever breeders in Ontario. (Rescue would be an option, but I'd like to be prepared as it's hard to find a good purebred Golden in rescue). How on earth do you wade through so many to find the right one? I know what to look for, but I go cross-eyed before I've even scratched the surface of the list!

With how popular they are, I want to be VERY specific that we get the right kind of breeder, and don't end up with the "wrong" kind of Golden.

*grumbles*

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

As I say with most breeds, versatility is the key, as well as the longevity of their dogs. Do they frequently have 'seniors' at 6-7 or closer to 10-12? I often see 'doggy obits' for 'old dogs' then see they were only 7 when they died of 'old age'. My 'senior' is 10 and getting ready for his first agility trial, while some dogs at 7 are dragging around like they're on their last legs. (A Golden should age pretty much like a Collie ... I wouldn't say the same about a giant breed ...)

(Sorry for all the 'quoting', but I can't express my sarcasm otherwise...)

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 PM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post

(Sorry for all the 'quoting', but I can't express my sarcasm otherwise...)
Haha it's okay, I do *this* a lot to emphasize my point

That's definitely one of the things I would be looking for. I met a Golden last week at work I would have *sworn* (see, there I go!) was 12. Totally grey, hobbling around. So I asked how old she was. 5. She was FIVE. And was terminally ill with bone cancer. And from what many would consider an amazing breeder...

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 12-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Water Junkie

Can you go to some shows? Find a mentor? If you want the best of the best, maybe doing something like that would be beneficial?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

Cancer is VERY common in Goldens I believe. my great Aunt had four, I think a couple may have been from the same breeder (BYB) but not all of them. They all died before age 10, most of them around age 4-5 of cancer.

Try to find one who does some hunting (and actually titles), it's nice to see people trying to preserve the true temperament.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 PM
just call me Nilly

I have "show world" contacts, but I don't know if the "#1 show dog" type is what we're looking for. It's important to me that a breeder do more than just conformation. Part of the reason I feel I should be starting to look now is that I know this is going to be HARD work! LOL

Old 12-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

Show or working?

What traits are you looking for?

What I would do is look for exemplary dogs... goldens that epitomize what you want in a dog. Then find out who produced and raised them.

So search the net for titles you like, shows, competitions, and see who scored where.

Golden Retriever Forum, spend some time doing searches, see which dogs/breeders people in Ontario talk about, decide whether you like them or not. Join the forum, describe what you like, see who they recommend.

And of course going to shows, events, etc so you actually meet the dogs is best.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Top Dog

I can connect you with breeders through my Golden Retriever club , they show in the US and Canada in both field/conformation and obedience . If you want a dog like Seger ( blog below ) look more into conformation . Others are usually darker and have more " drive " . I've had both and in between in my 60 years . Any breeder recommended will have all testing available . Just let me you if you want me to put you in touch with someone . It took over 8 months to get Seger . These are selective breeders and don't crank them out to sell !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 PM
just call me Nilly

Thanks guys.

Corgipower suggested in chat that I start by looking at obedience trials, which actually makes a lot of sense to me considering what Matt and I would be looking for. I'd be more likely to find a breeder through that who's dogs are shown, but also capable of far more. And since agility and obedience are things I'm still interested in doing, it feels like the right place to start.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Twin 2.0

I'd be super prepared to get the "why don't you go through rescue" spiel countless times. Goldens are pretty much the #1 BYB/mill dog, or at least in some areas. Basically, they're everywhere and you're going to have a hard time convincing some people of why you are going through a breeder.

I totally get it though, the typical quality of Golden coming out of the BYB's is...scary.

I agree, go to the venues you want to compete in and ask around. Hips, elbows, cancer rates and longevity are what I would ask about. I knew a Golden who was finally put down a few months before her 18th birthday. Truthfully, she should have gone sooner (couldn't really walk or get up unassisted because of multiple strokes) but she was a sweet girl to the end.