Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Twin 2.0

Ewww, icky icky!

I agree with the Panacur route. It's pretty much what your vet was going give anyway, unless for some reason they felt Drontal was a better choice, so you'll be saving yourself a lot of money. It covers most of the common worm varieties anyway.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
She had all of one flea which is why I thought they were rounds last night. Someone shared a youtube video of a tape segment dancing around. Oh these are definitely tapes..

We haven't had a flea issue in years. Though she apparently managed to ingest one.

Vet wouldn't diagnose my piece of worm in a jar without the dog. Can't take the dog to school. So guess I'm self treating as I don't have time off till friday and I can't put up with worm all over the house.

I'm horrified. I REALLY hope the segments come out dead from here on out. Yuck.
They are very icky... My first exposure to one was when a cat we had shed one on my arm... ew ew ew and more ew!

Luckily Dekka has never had them, so I haven't had to worry about them ever having been in my bed.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

My first experience to worms.. on my thigh in my bed...........

Thought it was an eye gooby.. I barely slept even after cleaning up my room, and her bum when I realized when she sleeps she can shed them..

I haven't seen many today but there was a lot last night. Ewwwwww

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Yah guys.. I know how easy tapes are to diagnose, most animals we have come in have tapes

yah Maf probably would not diagnose because he wants to make sure that nothing else was going on, and wanted to see how severe the case was. Self-treat with Panacur, should be just fine!

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-07-2009, 05:38 PM
BSL Can Be Beaten

Apparently there are a few tape worm species that dogs (maybe cats) can get; from this website Panacur

BRAND NAME: PANACUR

AVAILABLE IN
ORAL SUSPENSION
AND GRANULES

BACKGROUND

The care of animals has always included the management of internal parasites. As technology has progressed, the medications developed have become more and more broad in the spectrum of parasites they can eradicate. Fenbendazole is a member of the benzimidizole group of anti-parasite medications which makes it a relatively broad spectrum product.

HOW THIS MEDICATION IS USED

Fenbendazole (often abbreviated ***8220;FBZ***8221;) is used in both large and small animals. In dogs, it is useful against roundworms, hookworms, and the more difficult to treat whipworms. It is effective against the Taenia species of tapeworm but not against the Common tapeworm, Dipylidium caninum. It is also effective against giardia (an intestinal protozoan which is contagious to both humans and pets) as well as several species of lungworm and even some flukes.

Fenbendazole is rarely required for feline use but can certainly be used safely in the cat. Fenbendazole is not approved by the FDA for use in the cat, however.

However; click on their site and there is more about praziquantel; HOW DO WE GET RID OF THEM?

Tapeworms are killed by different medications (Our hospital uses one called ***8220;DRONCIT***8221; (brand name of ***8220; Praziquantel***8221;) which is administered by injection or tablet. The tapeworm is killed and digested with the pet***8217;s food. It is not passed in the stool later.

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Ehhh Panacur isn't really the answer. It kills Taenia but not Dipylidium. Cestex kills both.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 12-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Top Dog

I found a ten inch + tapeworm segment in the litter box when I collecting a stool sample for my new cat...

good thing he had a vet visit that day.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Dear god Crio.. even with a vet appointment I might cry over the nasty..

24 hours post worming and they aren't escaping on their own. Actually after worming I had my family monitor her and they never saw another one.. They are coming out in her poop, but not the load I expected.. but who knows how many more there are to come.

Smudge is expelling a few dead ones now too..

And they both seem to by hyped up versions of themselves today. Cider was a mopey mess yesterday.. but seeing how high she is today I wonder if she's been off for a while and I didn't realize it. Even Smudge has more energy now making me think that this worm load has been a while coming and it isn't a 3 weeks ago till now issue.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 12-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Ontario BSL rescue

You may not be able to buy Panacur over the counter in most Canadian provinces, but you can buy fenbenzadole in a product called Safeguard. Its a horse dewormer and purchased at an ag supply shop (like UFA or Peavy Mart in Alberta) for about $14 per tube. I used to breed pedigreed cats and deworming every cat and dog here twice per year, plus the kittens before they went to forever homes, was cost prohibitive unless I did it myself.

Fenbendazole is dosed at 23 mg/lb (50 mg/kg) once daily for 5 days for Giardia (yellow or green diarrhea) and once daily for 3 days for roundworms (repeat in 2-3 weeks for roundworms). The Taenia species of tapeworms can also be treated. However, the medication is ineffective against Dipylidium caninum, the common tapeworm.

Panacur/Fenbenzadole is considered safe in pregnant and lactating queens and kittens/puppies.

DOSING
pet weight dose amount of paste

10.0 lb 230 mg 2.3 ml
10.5 lb 242 mg 2.4 ml
11.0 lb 253 mg 2.5 ml
11.5 lb 265 mg 2.6 ml
12.0 lb 276 mg 2.8 ml
12.5 lb 288 mg 2.9 ml
13.0 lb 299 mg 3.0 ml
13.5 lb 311 mg 3.1 ml
14.0 lb 322 mg 3.2 ml
14.5 lb 334 mg 3.3 ml
15.0 lb 345 mg 3.5 ml
15.5 lb 357 mg 3.6 ml
16.0 lb 368 mg 3.7 ml
16.5 lb 380 mg 3.8 ml
17.0 lb 391 mg 3.9 ml
17.5 lb 403 mg 4.0 ml
18.0 lb 414 mg 4.1 ml
18.5 lb 426 mg 4.3 ml
19.0 lb 437 mg 4.4 ml
19.5 lb 449 mg 4.5 ml
20.0 lb 460 mg 4.6 ml

Fenbendazole is a very safe drug. Adverse reactions and toxicities are unlikely -
see:
http://www.peteducation.com/pharmacy/fenbendazole.htm
Types of Parasites Controlled by Fenbendazole | eHow.com