Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 12-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

Talking Need help finding a breeder!

I've finally decided that I'm ready for a new dog, and am hoping to get one sometime next year.

There are several breeds on my list, so I'll definately be checking out shelters and rescues to see if anything calls out to me. But what I really want is a collie puppy! Since I've always gotten dogs from shelters/rescues, I have no idea how to find a collie breeder.

Of course the most important thing I'm looking for in a dog is temperment - I know that sometimes collies are aloof toward strangers, so I will have to have one that is extremely friendly and confident around new people; I'll be training it to be a demo dog for presentations. I also want to do sports with it, so athletecism (sp?) is also very important; a lot of collies I see at dog shows are kind of clunky, so I want one that has good movement. A working bred collie would be awesome. Oh, and I MUCH prefer a smooth collie, I think they're prettier.

Any suggestions???
Old 12-06-2009, 01:33 PM
<----Thanks Allie

No, but hopefully colliewog sees this, you may even want to pm her. She breeds them, so I'm sure she could help with people in your area!

I hope it works out for you! I LOVE collies!! But they're too large for me right now.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Taxiderpy

http://www.moxiecollies.moonfruit.com/

This is a really good friend of mine (known her since high school) and she has GORGEOUS dogs. She's planning a rough/smooth litter next summer out of Jordan and a different male this time, she has him tentatively picked out but wants to get her hands on him in person before finalizing anything.

She puts a huge emphasis on working, good body structure and good movement as you can see from Logan's picture.

She's trained a couple of SAR dogs from the immediate lines she's working with, and currently one of her puppies in is SAR training. One of Loki's uncles was her SAR dog and another is a mobility assist dog.

The temperament you're asking for is totally what she breeds for too, and is in the name of her kennel. Moxie.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm All Ears

I know a couple people on other forums that are in TX that might have some ideas...
Old 12-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Water Junkie

Collie or Border Collie?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Top Dog

Collie collie.

Thanks, Romy, that breeder looks PERFECT....

Now if I can only find one a little closer to home?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I've finally decided that I'm ready for a new dog, and am hoping to get one sometime next year.

There are several breeds on my list, so I'll definately be checking out shelters and rescues to see if anything calls out to me. But what I really want is a collie puppy! Since I've always gotten dogs from shelters/rescues, I have no idea how to find a collie breeder.

Of course the most important thing I'm looking for in a dog is temperment - I know that sometimes collies are aloof toward strangers, so I will have to have one that is extremely friendly and confident around new people; I'll be training it to be a demo dog for presentations. I also want to do sports with it, so athletecism (sp?) is also very important; a lot of collies I see at dog shows are kind of clunky, so I want one that has good movement. A working bred collie would be awesome. Oh, and I MUCH prefer a smooth collie, I think they're prettier.

Any suggestions???
Most versatile Collies (we don't really have 'show' and 'working lines' like the BCs and Aussies) will have stable temperaments and structure. You want someone who does conformation and something else - titling, not just stating that they do it - to be sure you've got a pup with the proper drive and work ethic. Lots of people play at it in training class then say their dogs do it.

Aloof is not a word I'd describe when talking about a well-tempered Collie. The key is socialization and showing the pup what is expected of it at an early age. Mine are not aloof, yet are reserved, which to me means they are in control of the situation and not going crazy (ie wiggle-butts) to get to people ... but they do not back up or shy away from ANYONE (except drunks or weird people that personally make ME nervous too).

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 12-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

There's a Collie club in Austin that offers herding trials, which makes me think their members would have a tendency towards versatile dogs ... maybe contact them for a local referral?

Collie Club of Austin Home page, Collies, dogs, Rescue, Herding, Conformation, Agility (the title says rescue, but it's the club's page).

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

Please do go by a breeder known and recommended here or a breed club in your area .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post
There's a Collie club in Austin that offers herding trials, which makes me think their members would have a tendency towards versatile dogs ... maybe contact them for a local referral?

Collie Club of Austin Home page, Collies, dogs, Rescue, Herding, Conformation, Agility (the title says rescue, but it's the club's page).
I hadn't seen this, THANKS!