Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-05-2009, 11:52 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Default WHY!!! why do shelties do this?

I know that its probably due to herding behavior.

My friend has 6 shelties, they all do this! On my sheltie forums, most everyones shelties also behave this way.
Ruckus and Lynn do this all the time too!

YouTube - Out Of Control Shelties: Top 10 Things That Set Them Off
Old 12-06-2009, 01:31 AM
I'm All Ears

Oddly enough of all the shelties I've had I don't remember any doing the spin thing. Mine all did attack all mops, brooms, and vacuums though. When Trey would get into his 'worked up zone' he would bounce like crazy, but not spin.

Now the barking.... This would be a good video to explain to people what I mean when I say shelties are a VERY vocal breed. (And it would also explain why I don't find the paps barky at all) People always think I'm exaggerating that.

I think shelties may be the quirkiest breed on the planet. They're weird weird dogs. (I say that lovingly)
Old 12-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

It seems to me that these are learnt behaviours condone by the owners. Either unwillingly or not. Whether its the breed or no, all the agility shelties I know are nowheres near that.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:16 AM
Plus One

On the upside it would be easy to teach them to spin on command lol
Old 12-06-2009, 05:24 AM
overdogged

good lord. why do they put up with that? although since they're making a video of it, perhaps they think it's cute?

steve has started barking his fool head off whenever i go to leash him, so right now it's taking us ten minutes to get his leash on and get out the door, but it's worth it to not have to put up with a lifetime of obnoxiousness.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

yeah in that video a couple of times it looks like the owners encourage it. I do not, BUT i used to. for some reason I used to think i was cute and i would "play" with them with brooms, mops, vacuums, etc. And now that it is not cute anymore its like there is not stopping it!
I probably wouldnt have this problem if when it first developed i started trying to do something about it. but instead i thought it was adorable.

My crew actually doesnt spin. I was mainly talking about all the barking at attacking.
Ruckus nips lightly at the back of my leg if i do most of that stuff on the video. and attacks brooms, mops, etc.
I have to take the dogs outside so i can clean. I cannot even move a chair out from the table without them going crazy.

I have actually learned how to deal with it. it doesnt even really bug me. i just wonder WHY! I posted this video on the sheltie forums and everyone was like "oh yeah mine do that! Thats what shelties do!" and it drives me crazy that people on that forum have that mind set. We get new members that are new to shelties and someone will post about their puppy being fearful, barking all the time, and nipping. And everyone just tells thats just how shelties are.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsarebetter View Post
We get new members that are new to shelties and someone will post about their puppy being fearful, barking all the time, and nipping. And everyone just tells thats just how shelties are.
Really? I never knew that.........I haven't been around shelties for more than a quick meeting at a park and such though. The ones I see on TV (Cesar Milan, misc training shows) are usually like that, but I thought it was just random instances and the owners were asking for help, LOL.

Seems odd that they tell newbies "that's just how they are" instead of advice on how to fix the problem or at least keep it under control.

Learned something new today, thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Just try me..

Dekka tries to attack vacuums (it would be a real problem but 99.99% of the time I sweep) And Bounce spins like a top when excited. I don't think its just shelties.

And yes if these behaviours bother people they could work at training them not to do them. (I personally love the Bounce spin and verbally encourage it)
Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 AM
~Lisa~

Looks to me just training issues IMO. Such as they let them get away with it, so now the dogs just do it. Blaze (be a sheltie, collie or mix of) does the spin, only when I ask him if he needs outside, its like his little cue to let me know he needs out. Barking isnt a huge issue, due to I do not encourage it. I have taught him to speak, and for the most part he is good about keeping his voice to himself. Now when the door bells rings is a differnt story. I try to train out the barking, while I have 5 other people encouraging it. so it will never work.

Those 2 dogs to me look like they have some issues. IMO. If Blaze spun like that on our walks, we wouldnt be going very far. As I would be embaressed. Seems to me like those owners really just encourage the bad behavouris, and dont try to fix the problems. Those dogs remind me of puppy mill breeding dogs, who spin and spin and spin in their cages.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Wow... I shouldn't post at 2am in the morning!!