Dog Coats

StillandSilent

I really want a coat for Neon. Not a coat to keep him warm, but more of a jacket like a service dog would wear. We live in a very dog friendly town, and I like to be able to take him downtown for exercise and socailizing.
The downside is, people always want to grab and touch him, and many do not ask first. I have to be on a high alert so he does not get startled and defensive.
Does any manufacturer make coats for dogs who are not service dogs or in training to be service dogs? Something bright colored that says "In training- Do not Pet" or something along those lines?
I know it is not legal to try and pass him off as a service dog, and I would never want to do that, but can a coat like that be procured? Or an I better off with another option?
He just loves going downtown, and it helps so much with his socializing that I hate to not be able to take him anymore. I wish people would just keep their hands to themselves, but it doesnt' seem to be happening.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
my suggestion would be to look at the hunting vests, there light and bright.

red, green and blue tend to be the primary service dog vest colors

so a hunting dog orange would probably be good.
then add a patch that says "PLEASE ASK BEFORE PETTING" or something similar.

Saeleofu

You could get an orange vest and order a DO NOT PET patch for it. I suggest avoiding the "In training" part because people may assume it's an SD in training (hell, I don't have anything other than a seat belt, collar and over-the-shoulder lead on my dog and people thing he's an SD :rolleyes:)

My other suggestion, and this is probably better for the both of you, is to just be aware of where people are around you. If someone comes up to you and start to go for the dog, say a very frim LEAVE IT...directed at the person of course :rofl1: I do this quite often. It's like a smack in the face to most people.

MicksMom

Hang on, one of the websites I have saved has stuff like that. It might take a few minutes to find it, tho.

ETA- Here's one site WIREDOG Brand-Service Dog Vests,Service Dog Supplies,Service Dog Equipment,Service Dog harnesses,Working Dog Equipment,Service Dog ID,Search and Rescue Dog,Therapy Dog Vest from Wiredog.
I think I have another saved too.

ETA again- Here's the other one. This is the one I was actually looking for.
Dog Products Training Collars Wireless Dog Fence Dog Housebreaking Petsafe Innotek SportsDog Products

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.