Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

dog senses don't have to be smell or sight... or any of our 5. Maybe JWs emit some kind of aura that Strider can sense at 50 feet or something.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
lol Romy!!

They can be pretty intense, and I thought maybe they STARED at the house or something?

But when I read the post I read it as he barks before they're even in sight?

How far away, could he smell them?

Does he look out a window?

or are they not visible to him, and he just randomly barks and then 30 seconds later Bingo! Jehovah's Witness? Because if it's the latter that is just creepy and I have no suggestions lol.
It's the last choice, the creepy one. lol

Maybe it is some kind of vibe that puts him off. I do think people have different smells according to their emotions/intentions.

It's kind of controversial in SAR, but some people's dogs seem to be able to sift through all the smells of other hikers, hunters, SAR people/law enforcement, and go straight for the scent of the missing person. Some people think it's because a lost person puts off some sort of distress smell the dog learns to hone in on.

So maybe these guys have some intent/smell that puts him off. Weird. I have heard that male dogs can smell a female in season 5 miles away, so he should be able to smell them on our street.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Will Work for Kibble

Hmmm... JWs smell funny... or they wear distinctive footwear or something like that. Ya learn something new every day.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

Consider yourself lucky ! I know they mean well ~ BUT !!! I use Ollie as an excuse as to why I don't invite people in ! I know he'd love them to death , but I tell them I don't trust my dog !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Top Dog

Actually the one time I had them knock on my door, as soon as I said no thank you and started shutting my door, they smiled politely and told me to have a nice day... and they left. But I do know that many JWs are very pushy.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcladymacbeth View Post
dog senses don't have to be smell or sight... or any of our 5. Maybe JWs emit some kind of aura that Strider can sense at 50 feet or something.
He really is a Narnian llama, with magic powers. Maybe, the first time was the two guys and he freaked the crap out of them. They couldn't get away fast enough. Then they sent a young married couple, and two young girls after that. lol.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:43 PM
BusterLove

Weird.
I don't discount dogs having extra senses, Buster knows when people are coming home. He once told me my Dad was home, he reacted to the car driving past the house to go turn around at the end of the street. Weird thing is that my Dad was getting dropped home in a car Buster had never seen before.

He has also reacted like I'm coming home when in fact it would have been the exact time I went past our street on the bus, different bus than I normally caught at a different time.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Amazing stories. As much as we know about dogs, there is so much we don't know. They are truly a mystery sometimes in what they sense or know.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson