Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Did they come? How'd it go?

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-03-2009, 03:43 PM
F150 and a .30-06

^^^Ditto

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Top Dog

Ughh, not as bad as I had imagined honestly.

She encouraged my roomie to yell at him even more though when she is trying to take his food bowl....riiiight.

The thing that I REALLY liked that she said though (since my roomie has it stuck in her head that Oakley causes all the problems) is that Camden is in fact the trouble maker, hehe.

She said him sitting outside of my room all the time & him pestering all the time (she saw a very typical interaction btwn them) is flat out annoying to Oakley & Oakley gives him multiple chances to stop...which Camden ignores...and then Oakley lashes out. SHe also said that Oakley bounding out of my room and barking at the other Camden & Leo when they are playing is just him being nervous about their rough play & trying to be a moderator.

I dunno, sounded pretty believable to me honestly...Oakley always does look so freaking anxious when he is around them playing (hair up, very rigid, tail straight up slightly wagging)

What I don't get is how everything she says about dog behavior seems pretty right on in terms of what they need in you as a leader & etc etc...but their training methods are just so BAD!!!

Oh well, I'm just glad she said what she did cause it my roomie seems to have now realized its her dog thats the problem, not my perfect, sweet lil Oakley (hehe...ok not completely true, but still!!)

Thanks Jessie!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
She encouraged my roomie to yell at him even more though when she is trying to take his food bowl....riiiight.
So she can turn him into a major resource guarder and dangerous biter? That's the dummest thing I ever heard. It's just a shame these kind of people exist....going around telling people things that can ruin their dogs. There ought to be a law!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
So she can turn him into a major resource guarder and dangerous biter? That's the dummest thing I ever heard. It's just a shame these kind of people exist....going around telling people things that can ruin their dogs. There ought to be a law!
he already IS a resource guarder and a dangerous biter!!!!!!!

Her reasoning was that he wasn't backing up when she would take his bowl away (cause he has been doing very well with that)...she said he needs to fully submit it to her or something.

and btw, yeah i did mean pos punishment...oops. Clearly that HUGE convo about it didn't sink in yet!!! thanks!!

Thanks Jessie!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Show Dog

I looked up videos on YouTube to try and get an idea of what they do. Most of what I found was "look how great the dog is now!" but didn't really show the methods used. I did see one where they threw a bean bag at the dog... I thought y'all were joking when you mentioned that. If I threw a bean bag at Domino she'd just be ecstatic about her new toy.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabobisa View Post
I looked up videos on YouTube to try and get an idea of what they do. Most of what I found was "look how great the dog is now!" but didn't really show the methods used. I did see one where they threw a bean bag at the dog... I thought y'all were joking when you mentioned that. If I threw a bean bag at Domino she'd just be ecstatic about her new toy.
rofl, yeah...i've accidentally hit Oakley with enough toys to know he wouldn't care about that... but apparently they use chains too?? Luckily this lady hasn't brought out those methods yet

Thanks Jessie!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Salty Sea Dog

a bean bag would be a fun new toy....
a chain however...any trainer sugesting that...would find that chain somewhere they REALY dont want it!

what they see and say about behaviours sounds good...but their methods are just plain bad. its strange i agree.
but at least your roomie got a second person saying "look its not that dog its yours" and mabe thatll at least ease some of that tension.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 12-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

Yup...he already is a scary resource guarder. The thing is, most trainers worth their weight know that yelling or otherwise frightening the dog in association with the human around the food bowl will escalate the problem. The dog can be rehabilitated by making the associations good between human and the food bowl. What a shame that this dog is going to continue to think people around his food bowl equal danger and that the food is even more at risk of being taken....so, he'll just get worse. OR....he's supress the behavior for a time and then one day out of the blue... he'll explode.

Throwing a bean bag or other toy at a dog who is not sensitive, in play is one thing and like you said, can be reinforcing because it's play. So, in that case, they're reinforcing an unwanted behavior. (dumb) Throwing something at a dog who is frightened or startled by it or if it's done in anger can be quite punishing and can put the dog on the defensive. These BB people don't know what the hell they're doing IMO.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Her reasoning was that he wasn't backing up when she would take his bowl away (cause he has been doing very well with that)...she said he needs to fully submit it to her or something.
Ask them or ask your roomy WHY they think he should fully submit it to her. What evolutionary advantage would an animal have if they submitted and made no objection to someone else taking away their food? How would an animal survive long enough to reproduce and pass on their genetic material if they didn't protect their food? Ask them that. It is completely 180 degrees going against any animal's nature to expect them to submit in order to have their food taken away. THAT is why there have been ways developed by people who truly do understand dogs, to change a dog's way of viewing having a human come near their food...ways that make the dog happy as a lark to have someone come near or even pick up their food.

Thomas Jefferson