Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom
You defer to your dad and Rocky picks up on that. Sawyer is bonded to me like Superglue but he will do what my dad says a lot quicker, because he knows that my dad 'outranks' me.

I can't really say that having two dogs lessens a bond, but I've had Sawyer since May and we just got Aubrey, so there's a time discrepency. Sawyer's always going to be my number one boy though, and I make sure that I spend time with just him. Aubrey is more Dan's dog anyway; she lives with him.
I see. So once again, you've got that bond with that one dog...
Old 09-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Twin 2.0

And you've got your bond with Rocky.

I guess I'm not sure where your question is coming from, unless you're worried about not bonding as well with your second. Try what a client at work does, on some days she only drops one dog off at daycare and keeps the other with her for some one-on-one time.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom
And you've got your bond with Rocky.

I guess I'm not sure where your question is coming from, unless you're worried about not bonding as well with your second. Try what a client at work does, on some days she only drops one dog off at daycare and keeps the other with her for some one-on-one time.
Exactly.

Basically, if I get another dog-- I want Rocky to have the same relationship with me before and vice versa. I don't want another dog coming between that... like I don't want him to concentrate on the dog and love me less...
Old 09-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Twin 2.0

I seriously doubt that. Sawyer and Aubrey love each other, but he still loves me the best. He'll push her out of the way so I can pet him instead of her.

I think you've had enough time to establish a bond, especially with all the trust building you've had to do with him, that he's not going to drop you and go to this other dog. Some bonding is necessary so he doesn't fight with the other dog all the time, but just make sure you keep him first in everything: food, treats, praise, attention, who goes first out the door...
Old 09-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Are you dead yet?

I think that as long as the dogs have a good deal of interaction with their owner, they will bond to you just fine.

I think, with two dogs, pack order is much more important. It should be made known to all dogs in the pack that they answer to YOU, not one another. That'll play a huge role in keeping them intuned to you, and not one another.

I'm going to have my first experience with raising two dogs as "buddies" when I get my female BC. (I have always taught Ripley and Dakota to stay away from one another and just peacefully coexist, I don't want them getting too close due to their size difference and Ripley's fragility) So raising a puppy with my adult dog will be interesting.. Personally I would be more concerned about the puppy bonding too closely to the adult dog, than the adult dog bonding too closely to the puppy, you know what I mean?
Old 09-08-2005, 04:56 AM
Top Dog

I have 5 dogs, I have a strong bond with all my dogs. I don't really make any special time for one on one for any of them...it's mass lovin'
I bought a house with my Sister, so the dogs divide their time between the 2 of us...some nights the Newf's sleep with me, sometimes the Dobe and Rottie and one Newf...etc. They just take turns and spread their charms around There is no favoritism, and no ruffeled feathers...all my dogs get along, there are no little spats between them, no food aggression etc. The fact that I got ALL these dogs as adults and 2 with horrible pasts is quite remarkable in itself. I think it's all in how the owner handles them. I look at all my dogs differently and love them each for their unique personalities. Each of my dogs came at different times, I had my female older Newf first (with other newf's since passed on), then I got my rescue Rottie...then came my male Newf, then a few months later my second female Newf...then lastly I found my Dobe mix half staved on the side of the road. All my dogs love each other, but, their world revolves around me
Old 09-08-2005, 09:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191
So see what I mean? You bonded to Tips, one dog, the bond is strongest there. I know you love Boris but the bond is stronger with that ONE dog. If you were to JUST have Tips and not have to deal with another dog then the bond you have with him now would probably be DOUBLED because of the amount of time you spent MORE with him than dealing with another dog (not trying to be mean--just speculation).

Just observations, not trying to offend anyone...

Just to clarify, Tips was the second dog. Also, I'm not sure a bond can be quantified. You have one or you don't. Tips sleeps at my feet when he needs a nap, comes to me wagging his tail everytime I call him (even when he's romping with Boris), answers all my commands, I don't see how it could be 'better'... The only difference is that when I can't pay attention to him, he will play with Boris. So it's a win-win situation for both of us.

Boris hasn't changed his behavior one bit since we got Tips either, he still sleeps in another room most of the time during the day, but comes see me regularly for attention, and will sleep at the bed at night.

It's definitely an interesting topic and I really don't have much experience on the matter, but I can definitely say that getting Tips didn't change my relations with Boris one bit, and that as a second dog he bonded to me more than Boris as well. But it really depends on the dog's character I'm sure.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:05 PM
chowchow

I have a very strong with Gracie. Just something about her, it happened the minute we laid eyes on each other. Princess, I love her very much, but we never had this kind of a bond like Gracie and I have. But I will say, Princess has never been left out or made to feel as if she is getting less attention. In fact, we may give her more to make sure she never feels left out. I dont love her any less. I make it a point to go cuddle with her on and off, she and I still do our evening get on the bed and cuddle while I watch tv. Lately she's taken up sleeping next to me half the night. I still take her out for one on one time to work on her walking skills. The biggest thing I have noticed with Princess since getting Gracie is she's happier. When I'm not in the mood to play it's ok because Gracie never turns down a chance to play!

I wouldnt worry if I was you. Your'll find you have plenty of room in your heart to love more than one dog and both dogs will know you love them. And chances are they will be great buddies with each other. You might always have a stronger bond with Rocky and even if you find you have a stronger bond with the other dog, you wont stop loving Rocking and making sure he's happy and treated right.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:33 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

im like Becca..what i had with Bronki was just different from what i have had with any dog since Charlie. As it is now, Mary and Vic are about equal. I do spend the mornings alone with Mary so she gets her special time while Vic romps with Mr Shaffer..then in the evening after i am finished working Victor and i curl up on the chaise and Mary goes to bed. Each has had their special time with mom. There seems to be no jealousy. One thing i do appriciate was that when i petted mary bronki couldn't stand for me to show affection to anyone but him..even his mom then he decided ok..we'll love mom together. I would cuddle Mary and he would lick her ears and nibble her neck. I don't know if Bronki whispered in Victor's ear from the other side but it amazes me that now when i pet Mary..victor automatically starts scrubbing her ears and nibbling her neck. freaky huh...

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Walks into Mordor

I guess I'm the only one who had a negative two-dog experience. My family's aging and arthritic golden retriever, Tigger, was 10 when I came home from college with Odin, my year-old rott/husky mix. Tigger never did get along with Odin. She was too old to keep up with his wrestling, fetching and running. Odin took advantage of Tigger's age and pushed my poor old dog to the side every time she tried to interact with us. Tigger was very miserable and depressed. I eventually had to send Odin to live with my fiance at his house, since I couldn't let my poor old baby live out her last years like that.

If you do get another dog, be sure it's one that your current dog can live with. Both dogs will bond with you no matter what, but they may not be the best thing for each other.