Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Big German Shepherd

Default Is The Bond Stronger With One Dog?

Alright, here's my question:

I'd REAAALLY like to have another dog in the future. Of course I can't right now due to finances, school, and generally dealing with the Rock.

But my question is, is the bond stronger with JUST one dog? I know the majority of you here have 2-3... but I realize that you're generally doing the same thing with 2 or 3 dogs that you're doing with one, so you'd think there wouldn't be any difference, right?

Well:

If you have one dog YOU, the owner, are the one who plays with it. You only do this a portion of the time when you have 2-3 dogs because all of the dogs wear each other out. So if you're playing with him, you're developing a bond-- in my opinion and in my experience.

Also, with 2 or 3 dogs you're generally focused on all 3-- not one. The same goes with the dog, he's focused on his other companions. So he has to kind of share the love, if you will. Therefore, you don't get much of the love if it's divided like this.

This is all speculation-- I'm really not trying to offend anyone with multiple dogs. But based on what I said, and possibly from your own experiences, if you've ever owned 1 dog at a time and then 2 or 3 dogs, I would love your input. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Big Mutts

It's been my experience that (all of our dogs anyway) have always bonded more strongly to one person. They always bond more with whoever takes care of them the most. I'm not sure about the bond being stronger or less with multiple dogs. I've had just one dog and two at a time before. But ours were always so far apart in age, they never really bonded together more than they did with us. The younger ones always followed the older around but it annoyed the older ones,so they never played together. I'm curious to see everyone's input on this. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:47 PM
no touchy

I take time every day to spend with the girls seperately...it can be cuddling, training, an alone walk...just so that they get some time away from the other dogs with me, their person.
I feel a bond with all of my dogs and each bond is different.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Top Dog

It depends on the dogs I think. I don't spend less time with Boris now than I used to, but he's always been pretty independent in the sense that he spends a lot of time sleeping in another room anyway. When it comes to the dogs, I feel that Tips bonded to me more than Boris did, even though he was never the only dog in the house.

So I don't really think that having several makes a difference, but it depends a lot on your activities and the character of the dog too. If someone spends 10 hours a day playing with a dog then gets another, then I would think they wouldn't be able to spend so much time together anymore.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Big German Shepherd

Rocky can be independent. But he seems to love me more, per se- but he's much more obedient and well-behaved around my dad.

But I think I can confidently say that I spend the majority of time with Rocky... so if the case is that, the more time you spend with your dog the more of a bond you develope, then if Rocky was so close to me-- why doesn't he obey me as much as he does my dad? He spends time with him-- but not the majority. And I'll even see him just walk away from me to be with my dad.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27
It depends on the dogs I think. I don't spend less time with Boris now than I used to, but he's always been pretty independent in the sense that he spends a lot of time sleeping in another room anyway. When it comes to the dogs, I feel that Tips bonded to me more than Boris did, even though he was never the only dog in the house.

So I don't really think that having several makes a difference, but it depends a lot on your activities and the character of the dog too. If someone spends 10 hours a day playing with a dog then gets another, then I would think they wouldn't be able to spend so much time together anymore.
So see what I mean? You bonded to Tips, one dog, the bond is strongest there. I know you love Boris but the bond is stronger with that ONE dog. If you were to JUST have Tips and not have to deal with another dog then the bond you have with him now would probably be DOUBLED because of the amount of time you spent MORE with him than dealing with another dog (not trying to be mean--just speculation).

Just observations, not trying to offend anyone...
Old 09-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Big Mutts

Rocky may obey your dad better because he considers him the alpha of your family. It certainly doesn't mean he loves your dad more because he walks away from you to your dad, he's probably just interested in what he's doing at the time.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapeach
Rocky may obey your dad better because he considers him the alpha of your family. It certainly doesn't mean he loves your dad more because he walks away from you to your dad, he's probably just interested in what he's doing at the time.
But my dad has done next to nothing to establish the alpha male role-- but you're right it really seems that's the way Rock looks at him.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Big Mutts

Dogs are very perceptive, he knows your dad is the boss of you too,(you know what I mean anyway ) so he must be the alpha.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Twin 2.0

You defer to your dad and Rocky picks up on that. Sawyer is bonded to me like Superglue but he will do what my dad says a lot quicker, because he knows that my dad 'outranks' me.

I can't really say that having two dogs lessens a bond, but I've had Sawyer since May and we just got Aubrey, so there's a time discrepency. Sawyer's always going to be my number one boy though, and I make sure that I spend time with just him. Aubrey is more Dan's dog anyway; she lives with him.