Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
The thing that you had to request the swab in the first place makes me laugh a little. I think it sounds like you will notice if it starts coming back before the vet would (just by looking) But thats just my opinion.
Well, the vet looked in his ears and told me that they looked good. She said there was a bit of wax but it didn't look red or inflamed or anything like some ear problems sometimes do. She said that it might just be allergies and I could try some Benadryl, or they could do a swab and look at it under a microscope just to be safe. I didn't really want to be I figured hell, we're here, we might as well.

She said she couldn't find anything at first but then she found a 'smear of yeast' so it's probably a mild yeast infection. I can't see anything wrong with his ears just by looking, but she couldn't either by looking into his ears.

He's still itching them occasionally and shaking his head a bit, but it seems a bit better. It's difficult to tell, really, because it wasn't a chronic problem before or anything.

Arg I'm just torn.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Top Dog

Has Benedryl helped at all?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:34 PM
treehugging clicker freak

What kind of ear meds did they give you??? Once my previous vet perscribed my dog meds, and it seemed to make the ear more red and irritated. I did some research and didn't like what I read, they didn't give me the proper medication like I suspected.

I strongly suggest K9 Liquid Health. Its perfect for yeasty ears, I've personally seen this stuff do amazing things. One of the fosters has a dog who's ears where swelled shut due to infection and neglect. The vet said they couldn't do anything but surgery and remove the ear drum and get out the infection. They used this stuff twice a day for two weeks, then once I day, kind of like your vet suggested and I saw the dogs ear myself - you couldn't even tell!

This picture is from the site, same story, different dog I use it on all my dogs, and the rescues... haven't been let down yet

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Puppy Dog

The vet proscribed some Epi-otic ear cleanser.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post
Has Benedryl helped at all?
We didn't try the Benadryl because the vet said it was probably a yeast infection. Do you think I should ask if we should try it?