Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-28-2009, 11:28 PM
brettman1213 brettman1213 is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5
Default Need advice for my sick Beagle...

Hi. We have a beagle, Boss, who just turned 6 and had surgery back in August of 09 for a ruptured disc. IVP, I believe it is called. Anyway, he has been doing fine but now we think another disc is causing problems. We took him to the animal ER in Bensalem, PA and they put him on pain meds and anti-inflammatory pills. He was doing okay but recently, he has gotten worse. He can hardly walk and when we move him, he yelps real bad. He's been sleeping all day. I think it's coming to another surgery and we just can't afford it because the last one wiped us out. It was around $5,000. I am desperate and looking for ways to afford the surgery if one is needed again.

I am looking into VPI Pet Insurance but it's so over my head, I don't know what I'm doing. Does anyone know of any options that are available that people might not know of or know somewhere that would be able to help us? Boss is so much more than a dog to us. We see him as our son and I want to fight as hard as I can for him. He was given to us on my wife's grandfather's deathbed and that makes him even so much more special to us. We have loved him so much and have given him the best life. He makes us so happy in ways that I can't even describe. If you are a pet owner, you will understand. I am not ready to say goodbye to him yet. He is still young and could have a long life still ahead of him.

They say that most dogs do very well after the surgery and he was doing great until this new problem. I'd hate to have to decline surgery that would fix him because we just didn't have the money. I would feel like a complete failure and that I killed him. Any info or advice that people could give me would be deeply appreciated. Thank you so much, we are desperate.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:13 AM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

have you looked into acupuncture ?
__________________
A light for all who are crossing dark times.


http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:19 AM
brettman1213 brettman1213 is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5
Default

No, it's more serious than that. He had a ruptured disc last time and the surgeon took it out. Now, the vet is saying that another disc is causing a problem. We woke up today and he is much worse and cannot walk at all. Also, we found out that no medical coverage will accept him because this is a pre-existing condition. We don't know what to do. We don't have the money to fix him this time.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Baxter'smybaby's Avatar
Baxter'smybaby Baxter'smybaby is offline
swimming upstream
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 21,976
Default

have you discussed payment plans with your vet?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:20 AM
brettman1213 brettman1213 is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5
Default

The plan they offer has an APR of 20%.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-29-2009, 11:24 AM
JennSLK's Avatar
JennSLK JennSLK is offline
F150 and a .30-06
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Alberta
Posts: 6,956
Default

Its better than nothing. I just put my beagle down a 4 1/2 yrs because she had a disk in her neck that desinigrated. What ever you do needs to be done ASAP. Emma had cord damage, and if you leave it to long your boy may have his cord damaged.
__________________



Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-29-2009, 12:25 PM
colliewog's Avatar
colliewog colliewog is offline
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettman1213 View Post
The plan they offer has an APR of 20%.
Is that CareCredit? If not, look into that. I'm sure their rates are high, but it's better than nothing if you can swing it ...
__________________
Katie + the Workin' Girls

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Doberluv's Avatar
Doberluv Doberluv is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: western Wa
Posts: 21,914
Default

Are there any beagle rescues that have funds set up for emergencies like this? I know of some rescues that do this, but for other breeds. Can you go on a beagle forum and see if anyone knows about some finacial help out there? This is terrible and it sounds like surgery is the only way and yes, it has to happen before the disc causes more serious damage. I am really sorry for you and your dog. That is a really serious problem.
__________________
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776





"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-29-2009, 04:33 PM
brettman1213 brettman1213 is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks everyone. We were denied insurance because this is a pre-existing condition. We took him to the ER today because of how bad he was. They wanted to do an MRI, which was $2,000, to determine what the problem is but we just can't afford it. It's not definitel if he needs another surgery but we decided we don't want to put him through that again. My wife is a teacher and was able to stay home with him during the summer for his recovery. We won't be able to do that again. Plus, he has never been the same since his recovery. He can't walk normal or climb stairs. The doctor gave us some new pain meds, steroids and muscle relaxers. They gave him an injection for pain before we left and he has been sleeping all day since we've been home. We're going to see if these help for a little bit. If nothing changes, then we'll have to say goodbye. Today was one of the hardest days of my life. He is like a son to us. We looked into the CareCredit, but with the amount of things he needed, the APR would have practically doubled the bill.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Baxter'smybaby's Avatar
Baxter'smybaby Baxter'smybaby is offline
swimming upstream
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 21,976
Default

I hope that the steroids, etc. help--it is so difficult to make decisions like this. Keep us posted on how he does!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site