Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-28-2009, 04:55 AM
Big Dog

Default American Bulldogs (again)

Had a thread asking about various bully breeds for a friend but dropped it due to the legislation stating that anything that looks like a pit bull can be subject to the BSL.
I was watching some schutzhund video and this one AB caught my eye and I started getting interested in them. Checked out the pet FAQs in the city of Ottawa site and found out that registered purebreds won't be looked at as one of the banned breeds.

It looks like the breed attracts a lot of people who think owning the breed makes them look tough and name their dogs things like ORIGINAL GANGSTA and ICE COLD etc. and information seems to be limited.

I've read they excel in schutzhund so they must have pretty good natural obedience and the other skills needed in the sport, after all they were used as an all purpose farm dog. I'm interested in the standard/performance or scott type, they resemble a larger leggy pit bull, but every breeder I find breeds hybrid lines that look more like English bulldogs

Sorry, kind of ranting, but to sum it up - if anybody knows any standard/performance type breeders in the Toronto area of Ontario (preferably, but anything in N.America is worth looking at) that I could check out I would be grateful. Also, if anybody has some information about the standard/performance lines I'd be glad to hear it.

And, for those who don't know I'm going to be getting a puppy sometime during the summer, and now I'm tore between the AB and the GSD. Except I've already found a GSD breeder I like and is only an hour away lol.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Your Mom

Easier to train than a sighthound, not as easy/quickly as a herder And that's not to dis the bulldog, but if you're coming from herding breeds (I don't know what breed you're coming from) you will find that bulldogs mature a lot slower than herders, and thus the OB can be a lot slower to put on them. And not to dis the bulldogs, 'cause I have three of them (Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldogs) that I train in agility, personal protection, and PSA, I just wanted to put that out there since many owners who go from herders feel like their dog is broken when at a year old their dog is still doing rag work while their buddy's Malinois is ready for the trial field But when they turn on, oh man is it a beautiful thing. I adore working bulldogs!!

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 11-28-2009, 06:00 PM
BSL Can Be Beaten

Talk to Tracey from Longwoods; she's working a little guy called FUBAR - she'd be able to direct you to his breeder. Members Page

Also there is John Bonello; he does some Iron dog with his guys; not sure about SchH -- his website's down; but I think you can still find and use his email. Just plug his name and bulldogs in google.

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Big Dog

Hey thanks for the info, i'm going to be getting a puppy primarily as a companion and I might do a sport but only recreationally. So maturing slowly isn't really a problem and I don't think any dog is ever "broken". I'm coming from beagles/JRTs and I had one GSD/Husky mix so an AB will be something different if I decide to go with it.

I'll try and get in touch with those two and ask some questions, thanks.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Your Mom

Well if you're looking for companion first then bulldog is the best way to go Not that I'm bias or anything. LOL!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Big Dog

hahaha, anyone ever own a standard/performance type AB?
Old 12-01-2009, 03:55 AM
Big Dog

Closest breeder I could find is in Virginia, 12 hours away =(. Still looking though
Old 12-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Your Mom

Looks heavy on Leclerc, which is what went into my dogs, so I think it looks good. LOL! I also see they have a couple of Templar dogs. My friend has a Templar dog, Donkey, that he'll bring out to work sometimes (though usually he just works his Alapahas). Donkey actually looks almost exactly like Phantom, but with a bigger butt I'll forward the breeder link to him and see if he can tell you about the lines.

I don't know much about ABs, I wish I could be better help. But 12 hours isn't so bad!!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Top Dog

TK American Bulldogs

Gino has some of the best Sch ABs out there....not just Canada. His are much more the performance type.

ABs are great dogs but they really vary. I have seen some Johnson dogs who are only a little more athletic than english bulldogs and then I have seen some Scott/performance that are athletic wonders. Also check out Topline in NY state that have a really good reputation to.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Donkey actually looks almost exactly like Phantom, but with a bigger butt
lol! I really like the look of their Lunatic, 2nd last female on the page.
Quote:
I'll forward the breeder link to him and see if he can tell you about the lines.
They're homepage says all of their dogs except two are performance lines.
Quote:
But 12 hours isn't so bad!!
It'd be 24 hours in total!

Quote:
TK American Bulldogs
Thanks for this, nice white ABs!
Quote:
ABs are great dogs but they really vary. I have seen some Johnson dogs who are only a little more athletic than english bulldogs and then I have seen some Scott/performance that are athletic wonders. Also check out Topline in NY state that have a really good reputation to.
Yeah, I thought GSDs varied a lot, wow.
Found Topline's site and checked it out, I think their dogs just aren't me.