Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 11-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Show Dog

Default How Much Walking?

I won't be doing it until she gets all of her shots, but how long/far is ok for my approximately 10 week old Aussie puppy to go for walks? I walk my adult dog about 2 miles at a time sometimes a little more. I'm sure that would be too much, but I want to get the little one started as soon as possible.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Wookie Collie

With my dog when he was a small pup, I started with about 10-15 minutes each time, walking briskly. I would up that very slowly over time... we were up to half an hour at 5 months, one hour at 8 months. I still try not to go over an hour at a brisk walk/jog, since he isn't fully developed until about 18-24 months. I would say the same for your Aussie.

Of course, several walks during the day at this length are ideal. Gotta get that energy out! Just have to be careful at not doing long walks at once, and giving puppy joints a break.

Also: We require photos.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 11-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Show Dog

Thanks, I'll keep it short and multiple times per day. I let someone borrow my camera and haven't gotten it back yet but as soon as I do I will definitely be sharing pictures.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Just try me..

I know the big worry about shots. But please make sure you get your pup out to meet lots of people and healthy dogs.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I know the big worry about shots. But please make sure you get your pup out to meet lots of people and healthy dogs.
This! I was worried about Finnegan pre-vaccinations, so I had many friends over (which was SO hard... "come meet a cute puppy!") and some of my friends brought their socialized, vaccinated dogs. It was a great jumpstart to socializing Finn, and when we graduated to visiting pet stores and going on walks, he was a seasoned pro.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 11-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Show Dog

Oh don't worry, I'm making sure she meets a lot of new people and has new experiences. My adult dog is shy and I'm definitely not wanting that to happen with her. My grandparents have dogs that I know are healthy and so do my cousin and brother. How long after getting her shots should I wait before taking her on walks and into pet stores? Also, I've been told that it's ok to take her into pet stores and such as long as I don't put her down. Is that true?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Just try me..

I take my pups out before shots. Not to pet stores but out in public. I am of the same opinion as people like Dr Ian Dunbar, that my pup is more at risk of things being under socialized than getting a shot preventable disease.

I dont' think I would take a young pup into a very busy pet store, but yes to a small one. Kat went to All Creatures as a puppy and got loved on.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Show Dog

I live in a small town and the pet store here isn't normally busy at all. I was thinking it would probably be one of the best places to take her since it's pretty safe to assume that the majority of people there would be dog friendly lol.