Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy

Default Brittany's ???

Does anyone have one? Can you tell me about them? I went to a BMD trial yesterday and adjacent to our pups was a Brittany field trial. I have never seen so many kissy-faced dogs in one place in my life. When I asked the owners about their "Britt's" as they call them, I was informed that they are one of the sweetest, most intelligent breeds - but be aware of the energy that comes along with field types. Has anyone ever met a bench Brittany? If so, what is their activity level like in and out of the house? I am in LOVE!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

I think that they are more like Springers than Cockers Will be anxious to hear reports here !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi's Mom View Post
If so, what is their activity level like in and out of the house? I am in LOVE!
The dog seems like it will have large energy requirements but other than that seems to be a good family dog as long as you can give it what it needs.

Here's what some people had to say here

Quote:
Spaniels
do shed, but to what extent they shed I do not know.

They are family friendly, smart, loyal, and energetic.

They are also meant (bred) to be hunting dogs, which
means like any 'hound' they will need a lot of exercise to
keep them healthy, and happy. An unhappy dog will or can
develope traits you won't like such as chewing, etc
Expect to walk this breed at least once a day, a good long walk with some running involved. A fenced in backyard is
good for this breed so they can go out and play & run.

They are beautiful, soft haired, and wonderful dogs.
Just make sure YOUR family is the right family for them!
Also from here:

Quote:
The typical Brittany Spaniel temperament is good natured and outgoing. The breed loves to spend time with people as much as it loves working in the field.

Brittanies can be very rambunctious and need a great deal of exercise for those long legs, so having enough property to let them run on becomes essential to keeping these dog healthy in mind and body. A Brittany is not a dog that is content to spend long hours cramped in an apartment.
Quote:
A Word of Advice
Unless you can provide the type of athletic life this breed is meant for, better to pass it by. Brittany Spaniels need plenty of exercise in the open air to thrive.

Keeping them contained in a home situation that might suit more laidback breeds would lead to a great deal of frustration for these dogs and simply wouldn't be fair. Visit a breeder and watch these splendid canines in the field, then you'll understand.
Also from here:

My major concerns would be:
Providing enough exercise and mental stimulation. Brittany Spaniels MUST have regular opportunities to vent their energy and do interesting things. Otherwise they will become rambunctious and bored -- which they usually express by barking and destructive chewing.Bored Brittanys can make a shambles of your house and yard.

If you simply want a pet for your family, and don't have the time or inclination to take your dog running or hiking or biking or swimming, or to get involved in hunting, or agility (obstacle course), or advanced obedience, or tracking, or a similar canine activity, I do not recommend this breed Trying to suppress their "hardwired" drive to run and work, without providing alternate outlets for their high energy level, can be difficult. [/QUOTE]

But hey if you can provide those things, the dog should be a great low shedding dog with a nice coat. You just have to be honest with yourself if you are going to make the time to give the dog the excersise requirements for this dog.

*post edited by mod to remove all the random size changes, colors and random bold items that was making it incredibly difficult to read and destroying page layout.
content has NOT been changed.*

please keep other folks in mind when adding different font sizes and colors ect to your post.
thanks

Last edited by FoxyWench; 11-23-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: font size issues!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Water Junkie

To the OP, do NOT watch his Youtube video. It's NOT true. At. All.

I don't know much about Brittneys, but they are beautiful dogs.

Last edited by Lizmo; 11-23-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

^^agree with Lizmo^^^
Old 11-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Show Dog

I think they are great dogs!! Honestly I wouldn't mind having one some day (gosh, I really have a whole list of dogs I'd love to have some day -- not sure that it'll all happen, but one can wish!)...

I used to watch 4 (field bred) Brittany's for someone I knew, when they would be on trips. Great dogs. Yes, they were very active, but very good temperaments as well!

He could turn the 4 dogs out into a large field to run, and soon as he would blow a whistle they would all come running back to the house..
Old 11-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

We had several when I was growing up. My dad loves them and always had one. They were good dogs...yes, high energy, but loving, good family dogs and highly trainable. My dad used them for bird hunting.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

One of the vets I worked for bred field Brittanys and they were lovely dogs. Yes, high energy, but he had some in pet homes that fared well with appropriate exercise levels, even if they weren't in the field. Also, there is a Brittany breeder in my obedience club and she does both agility and conformation -- I think many of the Brittany people are multi-purpose, so it's doubtful you'd find the 'bench' version any calmer.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Very Food Agressive

Oh good, someone started this thread for me I met a young male Britt at the park the other day and he was the first dog to ever tire mine out withing 10 minutes! (He ran non stop circuits of the park until Izzy stopped chasing lol)

They're so pretty

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm All Ears

What I've noticed with britts is there isn't so much a field v bench but an american v french. There's quite a bit of difference between the two types at least looks wise and I believe working wise too.