Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Sport Model Pug

Laying on their back is a sign of submission. The fact that he's doing that automatically when he's not even 4 months old could lead to some very bad issues in the future since he is showing already he's not confident in himself. He could develop fear issues such as snapping, growling, submissive peeing, and destructiveness. What methods exactly are you training him with? He should be excited to be in a new place and happy, not rolling on his back and cowering at your feet.

I don't think you really know what real aggression is. The dogs were likely wanting to play and very excited, not hell bent on snapping your cotton ball of a dog in half. Real aggression wouldn't be stopped by the owner, the dog would be so dead set on getting what it was going after it would do whatever it took.

Oh and also, NEVER pick a dog up when it is scared unless it's in immediate danger of being killed. You're reinforcing fear and continuing to push down the confidence level of your dog.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
They weren't using choke chains so were never properly leash trained.
Choke chains are not needed for proper leash training. In fact, proper leash training shouldn't use a choke collar at all.

Quote:
He also got excited when a girl there said hi to her and petted her. But he never jumped up on her.. he lied on his back for some reason trying to be cure or something. I read that the Maltese will actually do that in social situations when he's excited. Hehehe.. But it did get a laugh.
That sounds like an appeasement gesture, which often indicates a lack of confidence. Please make sure this puppy gets lots of socialization and many positive experiences with people.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

Just because a dog is barking doesn't mean it's aggressive. Dogs bark for a number of reasons.

And a dog not wearing a choke chain doesn't mean they've never been leash training. Nor does a dog wearing one mean that it has been.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 11-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm All Ears

Actually there are many breeds where you should NEVER use a choke chain due to the risk of collapsing trachea. I would not use a choke chain on your puppy if he's fairly small.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Well the dog went and touched noses with a couple of other dogs.. but then the dogs would get aggressive and bark! The owners would have to pull the dogs HARD on the leashes. They weren't using choke chains so were never properly leash trained.. a lot of mainstream dog owners with the large dogs pulling there owners.
That's why it's so important that your puppy is well socialized with adult dogs that YOU KNOW and that are GOOD with other dogs OFF LEASH. Pet stores are probably one of the worst places to go to meet strange dogs like this, because - as you now know and probably should've before if you had gone to the store and noticed the types of dogs that were there before you got the puppy - it's pretty much the only place that people with out of control dogs can take their dogs.

THIS is why puppy class is so important, as well as play times with, again, APPROPRIATE dogs, so that your puppy gets to have GOOD experiences with other dogs and learns that most dogs are friendly and nice to be around. Then he - AND YOU - will be able to cope when he meets the occasional out of control dog.

Quote:
he lied on his back for some reason trying to be cure or something. I read that the Maltese will actually do that in social situations when he's excited. Hehehe.. But it did get a laugh.
I don't really understand what you're saying there in bold.... BUT dogs usually lay on their back when they're trying to be submissive. At this age it means that your puppy is not very confident and is trying to make sure everyone knows he's small and insignificant. I truely hope you get into a puppy training class ASAP so that you will be able to learn to recognize these signs, and your puppy gets more exposure to strangers where he can learn more confidence.

Quote:
Mainstream dog owners. Family dogs.
What is your dog, if not a "family dog"??? Is he a working dog? A police dog?

Quote:
I think he did really well for his first time being outdoors and in public. We didn't know what might happen!
I really hope you don't mean that this was his first time OUTSIDE. Like, his first time to experience fresh air.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 PM
orange iguanas.

Barking does not equal aggressive. A lot of dogs bark simply because they want to play... which, at a pet store, could very likely be the reason.

You sound very proud of your dog but IMO you have a lot of work to do...

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Water Junkie

Oh no, his dog is definitely not a working dog. He'd never have on of those!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
They weren't using choke chains so were never properly leash trained..
Didn't catch that before.....

I've trained TONS of dogs, and have not used a choke chain since my first dog when I was 12 years old. My first dog is the only one I didn't successfully leash train.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Just try me..

I compete and train dogs in Obedience, Rally Obedience, and Agility with no choke chains ever having been on my dogs (and never will)

Dekka has been in one movie so far and we have another shoot coming up.. and she has NEVER had a choke on her in her life.

Funny how much of what you "KNOW" to be true is so patently false.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Sport Model Pug

I have a dog that is a trained therapy dog and is working on her CGN title as well as agility, rally obedience, and soon to be confirmation showing (she's my practise dog) who has never had a choke collar or even heard the words "No" or "Don't" in her life. At 4 months she was 95% recall and 100% reliable off lead and loose lead. With no choke collars, prongs, shocks, martingales, or even negative words.

My other 2 were negatively trained (no chokes) with alot of old fashioned methods like "rubbing their nose in it" and shouting and negativity and guess what! They'll never be like my youngest or be able to do what she does with their tails wagging and being outgoing because they've been negatively punished in their socialization years.
Closed Thread