Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Big Dog

Default Click to Calm a good choice?

Hello everyone,

I've seen the book Click to Calm mentioned a lot on this forum, as well as Control Unleashed. My second dog, Dumpster, has developed a problem of leash reactivity/aggression (barking and pulling) towards other dogs, as well as some dominant behaviors (standing over other dogs in a dominant posture). She is much more stubborn and harder to train than my other dog.

For those who have read Click to Calm, I was wondering if it would be a good choice to help me work on these issues? If so, I haven't done any clicker training yet, so would I need to get additional reading material on clicker training? I think what would help me most would be a book that spells out exercises that we can do to work on the problems, since I don't have much experience working with these issues.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Click to Calm is a great book and can definitely help with the reactivity. I would very much suggest that you find a behaviorist to help you out also -- make sure they use positive motivation methods. For basic clicker training and basic obedience, there is some information in Click to Calm, so you could start with that and then see if you need additional books.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-22-2009, 06:52 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Yes, yes, yes I love Click to Calm, and I think it will be just what you're looking for
In the begining it tells you how to use a clicker to train, or to use a marker word instead, so you shouldn't need any additional material. There are some videos online you could look at if you needed to.
Quote:
I think what would help me most would be a book that spells out exercises that we can do to work on the problems, since I don't have much experience working with these issues.
Click to calm has a lot of (easy)good excersizes to use in different situations... I think you'll like it!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Big Dog

Thanks so much! I am going to go ahead and order it tonight. I'd like to hire a behaviorist, but I just can't afford one right now.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

I third everyone who has said Click to Calm is a good choice! While I haven't read it, I have attended a Click to Calm Workshop by Emma Parsons, and really enjoyed listening to her speak and watching her case studies.

One in particular that had me ready to burst out crying was a story about one of her clients who adopted a blind 3 or 4 year old Staffordshire Terrier who had been confenscated from a dog fighting ring (at the time she had recent wounds indicating she was still being used in fights despite being unable to see). The dog was severly reactive to the sound of other dogs, jingling keys or dog tags, and clapping or loud human voices.

The video clip was after a few months (I believe it was 4 or 5 months if I remember correctly) of click to calm principals and the client was working her dog in a room, while another student brought in her dog at the opposite wing. While you could see the Staffy initially tense up and turn in the direction of the other dog, within miniutes of click to calm work the dog completely changed it's body langauge and was able to relax, even as the audience clapped and the other dog's, dog tags could be heard loudly clanging throughout the video.

While the dog still had a ways to go, you could visibly see a lot of progress had been made.

I think you'll love click to calm, keep us updated on how everything goes with you and your dog. Alot of us have been in a similar spot as you are now, including myself and I applaud you for searching out modern training techniques to help your dog work through his reactivity.

Kayla

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
In the begining it tells you how to use a clicker to train, or to use a marker word instead, so you shouldn't need any additional material.
OOh, I am now intrigued...I prob should've bought this book years ago, but I just really hate the clicker...I know that sounds so stupid...but the noise annoys me & I find it very annoying to carry around. If i'm lounging in sweatpants (which I am most of the time at home), i never have it when I need it...etc, etc...

So you can use a marker word instead though???? I think I might buy this book finally.

One more question...I never bought control unleashed cause I heard it required scenarios with other dogs, etc...

I don't have friends with dogs & I cant exactly find randoms & have them practice walking their dog on the other side of the street, etc...and Oakley is fine at dog parks...sooo yeah. Does this book require specific scenarios? I just cannot control my environment that well..I never know when a dog is gonna come around the corner,etc

Thanks Jessie!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreeza View Post
I don't have friends with dogs & I cant exactly find randoms & have them practice walking their dog on the other side of the street, etc...and Oakley is fine at dog parks...sooo yeah. Does this book require specific scenarios? I just cannot control my environment that well..I never know when a dog is gonna come around the corner,etc
Well, yes. And any worthwhile training plan for DR issues will require the use of an assistant and dog.

The training can be done without such a thing, it's just more difficult when another dog is unexpected or is too close or is too exuberant.

A fair amount of click to calm is also about basic obedience skills and handler skills - teaching the dog that when you get stressed or tighten the leash or grab the collar, it's a cue to the dog that good things are happening.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Top Dog

Well, I am convinced...I just bought it Now hopefully it doesn't take forever to ship cause of the friggin holidays!

Thanks Jessie!

Old 12-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

that book is fantastic! good choice! hope it helps you and your dog out!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:05 PM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreeza View Post
OOh, I am now intrigued...I prob should've bought this book years ago, but I just really hate the clicker...I know that sounds so stupid...but the noise annoys me & I find it very annoying to carry around. If i'm lounging in sweatpants (which I am most of the time at home), i never have it when I need it...etc, etc...
Haha this is *exactly* my problem with clicker training. I never have a clicker on me! It's so frustrating.

Anyways, this book as been on my "To Read" list for a long time now, and I think I'm going to bump it to the top.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010