Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Default Building Muscle?

I think I recall a few of you talked about muscle building awhile ago, but I can't recall who and I my search skills are lacking tonight apparently.

Anyway, I've started working out recently, just because I realized I actually weigh less than I've ever weighed in my entire life, but I'm also in the worst shape I've ever been in. I tracked my caloric intake for about a week and a half just to see my average food intake, and most days I eat about 1400 to 1700 calories a day. I think there was one day where I ate over 2000, but that's definitely not the norm.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of bodyweight exercises, and sort of made my own plan. Trying to make working out a habit, and work it into my routine.

I'd really like to have bigger muscles, because right now I feel like a stick figure lol. I just feel like I'm probably not eating what I need to be eating to put on the weight to actually build the muscle, so I'm looking at making protein shakes and trying to figure out how to add protein into my diet.

This all seems a bit crazy right now because there are so many differing opinions and experiences out there that it makes my head spin. Beanie had linked me to a website called Nerd Fitness, which I've been loving lol, but the forums there are difficult to navigate and it's a little bit intimidating to join a new forum (for me, anyway, lol) and ask for advice, so I figured I'd ask the great and varied people of Chaz's advice first.

But this is what really sealed it for me as far as wanting to change how I look. She and I look pretty similar as far as how she looked in 2010, which is I think the second picture in the actual article.

I don't really have access to free weights though, so I'm not exactly sure where to go from where I'm at.

So really this is one big long ramble. But advice, thoughts, opinions, ect, are always welcome. Just don't be mean, lmao
Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 AM
Top Dog

I think it really depends the kind of diet you are on. I know a lot of Paleo/Primal women can eat 2000 calories easy, and they gain muscle easy because of what they eat and how they use it. I never believed it until I tried it out myself. Eat whatever I want, build muscle, and I do feel good. Until I eat something like bread or something similar. MarksDailyApple is a great place to get started on that.

I'm all for true healthy eating. I really don't believe in the pills, shakes, or other nonsense. Sort of like the difference between Science Diet and Raw, I guess.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:42 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Rofl @ Sci-die

I do eat fairly healthy. I do also eat carbs, because I absolutely LOVE ME SOME PASTA, rofl. And bread. And the occasional donut.

I've heard a lot about Paleo, but I've also not really taken a whole lot of time to research it, because 1, I'm an incredibly incredibly picky person. It seems like most Paleo foods/recipes all include stuff I will not eat under pain of death. I don't really like milk, (though I have a love affair with cheese) will not eat eggs under any circumstances, lol, and a lot of the veggies I won't eat either, so I was just thinking that if I cut out the stuff that I DO eat that's not Paleo, there's really very little I'd actually ADD to my diet that's Paleo, which leaves me with less than I started with lol.

And I wasn't referring to like slimfast or anything. I'm actively trying to gain weight in muscle mass anyway, not lose any at all.

I'm probably somewhere between 20 to 22% body fat, which isn't bad or good really, it just is, but ideally I'd like to have more muscle and be around 18 to 20%

I will definitely be checking out marksdailyapple though.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:49 AM
Top Dog

FWIW, I did better without milk, and most people seem to. I don't like eggs either, so I don't eat those. Cheese is pretty blech..unless it's grilled cheese. Lol.

But I do like most meat, veggies typically don't bother me...I just have to mess around with them a bit. I still eat things like potatoes, everything tastes better with butter so that helps. Same with bacon grease. The general idea is to go 80/20, though, so there's plenty of wiggle room. I still have my morning coffee, the occasional splurge on doughnut stix or something. Salad is the best way I can get my veggies in. I'm just not into cooking side items for dinner. Lol.

Other people get more into it, like using Coconut Flour for baking and such. Meh, I'm not that into that. But I do like the results I see with as borderline as I am.

I'm sure there's something around MDA for athletes that can give you some ideas, though. Maybe just more meat/protein is all you need to gain a little more muscle.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Top Dog

can't go wrong with paleo and weight training

You don't need access to a lot of weights at first. Start with all body weight. There are a hundred variations of pushups. You might needs something like this http://tmbjh.onhru.servertrust.com/j...t-p/4-jgxt.htm

and get to work Lunges, squats, single leg dead lifts, etc. all body weight and can be made very challenging. and when you get good, then buy some weights, a nice kettlebell can be very versatile.

I reference this website often. They give workouts and have a video library and modifications you can use if you don't have a certain piece of equipment. It's been a favorite of mine for a long time.

http://monkeybargym.com/
Old 09-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Behavior Nerd

I read stories like the one on that link, get all inspired, and then go "but I loooove my carbs" and "why does it require a diet overhaul to get fit?" and there goes my motivation. I'm hoping you get some good practical suggestions that I can steal.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Right away I was going to link you to Nerd Fitness until I kept reading LOL. I've signed up for the forums but I haven't posted yet... everybody there is SUPER nice but it is kinda still intimidating LOL. I also ditto Marks Daily Apple, there's lots of good info there.

I did a major overhaul on my diet. Some people do better doing small changes at a time, I just... did pretty much the whole go at once. If you don't think you can do it all in a clean sweep, just set one goal and go with it for a few weeks, then set another goal and change that. But for me, it was easier to just say "no more of this" and make the change right then and there.
I don't technically eat paleo or primal, though I do try to stick to the overall principles, and often when I'm thinking about what foods to eat, I'll google "is such-and-such paleo?" My eating philosophy is very Keep It Simple, Stupid. If I buy a can of tomato puree, I want the ingredients to read "tomatoes" and that's it. Also, minimally processed - the fewer steps it had to go through to get to me, the better.

As an example, my mom (who I've been trying to get to eat better; she is a serial "LOW FAT" or "LOW SUGAR" eater which just means MORE CHEMICALS) asked me last night, "So what kind of healthy foods should I buy at the grocery store?"
"Um... meat. Vegetables. Fruit. Nuts if you want. Cheese if you want, full fat only. ...that's pretty much it. It's pretty easy."
I shop the outer ring of stores these days. I wander up and down aisles every now and then and there's nothing there that fits into my new diet, so usually I don't even bother. I do sometimes stop and pick up peanut butter (though peanuts aren't paleo; I buy the stuff that is INGREDIENTS: PEANUTS and that's it, so it does fall into my philosophy) but otherwise, man, I just don't go through the packaged foods much.
I DO eat eggs, but I don't drink milk either, never have. I do eat quite a bit of cheese. I don't have any digestive problems with dairy, so I've left it in. Cream cheese is in a lot of paleo recipes, but it's also mega processed, so I'm not sure if I really want to eat cream cheese or not. For now it's not in my diet. I'm not huge on veggies either, so it does create a bit of a problem, but I've found I'm slowly coming around to adding in a few, and mostly just figuring out how to cook with stuff I never would have eaten before.

I do eat a lot of the same stuff every day. Chicken stirfry with broccoli is sort of my go-to. I don't like beef so that kind of limits me. I do like getting ground pork and making meatballs though.

I would honestly strongly encourage ditching the pasta. I'm not really a low carber, though eating naturally has by consequence lowered my carbs quite a bit. I'm not totally grain free, but I don't eat much. (I do occasionally still eat some fresh made pizza.) I think you will see some major changes in your overall health if you got rid of grains. I won't lie and tell you I don't miss it, I do. There are recipes for paleo breads that satisfy the craving, though.

Here's my Pinterest board, from one picky eater to another. It might inspire you:
http://pinterest.com/sheltiechick/clean-foods/

Also... I know a lot of people aren't big fans of "paleo" treats, but... well, I am. It's not like I go eating a cookie or three every day (I used to!) but about once a week or every other week, I will bake up a batch of some kind of treat. Some of these are also the faux breads. I'm hoarding a lot of these for the holidays... =P
http://pinterest.com/sheltiechick/clean-desserts/

As far as protein shakes go, I just bought protein powder last night. I have been tracking my meals and I am consistently under where I would like to be as far as protein goes, and I feel like I'm really cheating my body by not giving it enough protein. So I bought some very simple whey protein last night, incredibly low carb (less than 1g per serving for the vanilla, 2g per serving for the chocolate, and 1 serving is all I will need.) There are recipes on that dessert board where you can add protein to give it a boost. I'm planning on a protein shake after my workouts to help feed my muscles... I do cook dinner right after a workout (or breakfast if it's Saturday) but sometimes it takes a while, and I really need to fuel my muscles with protein pretty quickly afterward. We'll see how it works. =P I think with your calorie content you are probably okay to add in the protein shakes, some people are close with their calories and really can't spare the extra cals. Just keep tracking as you add it in and make sure you're not going too far.

That's what I got. My goal is body fat percentage too. 14-20% is athletic for women, I'd really like to be around 16% I think. We'll just see how I'm looking and feeling when I get there. If you do have a scale, I recommend breaking up with it permanently now. I probably weigh 145 or so right now, but I'm honestly the thinnest I've ever been in my adult life, including when I was 135, so... yeah. Body fat percentage is the way to go for goals IMO.

You can totally do it.

Edit: I also wanted to share... I tried low carb a while back, like many people on this forum were doing. It sucked and I hated it, so I scrapped that idea and instead of worrying about counting carbs, I just started worrying about the quality of the food I was eating. My biggest example is the banana. A banana is about 50-odd carbs. When I was low carb, this was far too many, and I couldn't eat a banana. You get that? I couldn't eat a BANANA. This didn't make sense to me. It's a BANANA.
EAT THE BANANA.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Top Dog

That's some excellent advice right there Beanie

Keep it simple. Though I'm not a huge fan of protein shakes, again, keep it simple, toss in some raw eggs, great easily digestible protein with some other full fat and fruit products and you have a great shake. Most protien powders out there are full of **** I don't want in my body, but there are some good ones
Old 09-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Edit: I also wanted to share... I tried low carb a while back, like many people on this forum were doing. It sucked and I hated it, so I scrapped that idea and instead of worrying about counting carbs, I just started worrying about the quality of the food I was eating. My biggest example is the banana. A banana is about 50-odd carbs. When I was low carb, this was far too many, and I couldn't eat a banana. You get that? I couldn't eat a BANANA. This didn't make sense to me. It's a BANANA.
EAT THE BANANA.
I'm allergic to bananas. I'm not missing anything. Probably had something to do with the high sugar in fruits, though.

Fantastic post, though. Absolutely brilliant.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
But this is what really sealed it for me as far as wanting to change how I look. She and I look pretty similar as far as how she looked in 2010, which is I think the second picture in the actual article.
All the info you need is in the blog that you linked. Honestly, if you can join a Crossfit gym, do it. I have gone through work out phases, going to regular gyms, doing P90X at home, but nothing stuck for long periods of time. I joined a Crossfit gym in May, and I can see myself doing it forever, lol. It's totally different than regular gyms, there's a sense of community, and there is always coaching available, which is crucial when learning proper weightlifting technique.

Going Paleo is also not really a big deal. I'm not super strict (I love ice cream, lol), but I'd say I eat Paleo 90% of the time. There are a lot of great resources out there for recipes and such.

Some people are lucky and gain muscle a lot easier than others. Strength gains are the slowest for me, compared to others at my gym, but I totally kick ass at body weight stuff, like pullups, and the muscle and definition are growing a bit everyday.