Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

Peyton is about 18 months old now, she'll be two on April 1st. Not real sure of her birth day being a pound dog but in the last year she has slowed down "some". Some is a relative word though.

It's really the only thing that needs fixing with her, I've fixed everything else and other than this one issue, she's a really great dog. She will "leave it" everything else, except dogs.

Yes, Dekka, that could be very true. Taking her to the DP 3 or 4 times a week may have made matters worse. I can't say it's "much" better today than a year ago and if I hadn't taken her there so much she may be more calm today. I have no way of going back now whatever the case.

My solution now is just keep her on a leash, if she saw a dog across the street and she was not leashed, she would bolt across the street. You know the drill. Other than DR, she's actually a pretty calm dog. Not Jax calm, but generally "pretty calm" in a variety of situations and completely manageable. It's just that dog thing, and she looses her mind
Old 11-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLacy View Post
Yes, Dekka, that could be very true. Taking her to the DP 3 or 4 times a week may have made matters worse. I can't say it's "much" better today than a year ago and if I hadn't taken her there so much she may be more calm today. I have no way of going back now whatever the case.

My solution now is just keep her on a leash, if she saw a dog across the street and she was not leashed, she would bolt across the street. You know the drill. Other than DR, she's actually a pretty calm dog. Not Jax calm, but generally "pretty calm" in a variety of situations and completely manageable. It's just that dog thing, and she looses her mind
I don't think "dog reactive" is the term you're looking for. I hear that and think "dog will punch holes in the triggers that get too close". She simply loses her focus around other dogs, in a big way.

It's not too late to work on the way she acts around other dogs. Take her to the dog park less and work on building her threshold levels. The main thing you have to realize is that these things can take -months-. I've been working on it with Finn since he was 4 months. He's almost a year now and he's still got a long way to go before being reliable around other dogs, but the progress is still there. It's taken a long time and is frustrating sometimes, but comparitively he's doing great.

Work with her on walks, one or two dogs walking by here and there, etc. It will take a long time. There are no quick fixes, but it's completely worthwhile in the end to have a dog you can control.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 11-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Just try me..

If all your dog wants to do is go play... how is that different than what she does at the dog park? When at the dog park do you work of focus or is it all just let her run till you take her home?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
If all your dog wants to do is go play... how is that different than what she does at the dog park? When at the dog park do you work of focus or is it all just let her run till you take her home?
Well, no we always work at the DP too some, mixed with play.

Here's a short clip of her and Jax at the DP, this is when I was training Jax for his CGC but you get the idea.
YouTube - Jax + Peyton - Stay with distractions

Peyton LOVES to train, I can see it in her eyes when she knows something and she's THRILLED to do it. I don't think it's a training issue per se, but then I don't know what it is and why I can train almost everything else with her except be calm on command.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
I don't think "dog reactive" is the term you're looking for. I hear that and think "dog will punch holes in the triggers that get too close". She simply loses her focus around other dogs, in a big way.
I think that's a fair assessment.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Just try me..

You should get a clip of what she is doing when you say she isn't calm. They both look VERY calm to me. *you should meet Sport!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Top Dog

See? That's what I mean, she "can be" GREAT, other times Terrible twos x 2

I should post a video.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Top Dog

OK, we just this second went outside and met another dog that she had never met. You can see her scanning before we even encounter another dog, then scanning after we met the dog, breaking heel etc.

This is pretty much how it goes every time she encounters a dog. Peyton would never get her CGC nor could I trust her off leash not to run off and meet another dog, so agility, rally or any other dog sport is really out of the question.

Is it the worlds worst reaction? Well, no but but if I loose my grip on that leash, she's gone to the dog.

You can see exactly what I saw here and this video is unedited from the time we went out until the time we got home.

YouTube - Peytons DR 11-19-09

Now if this DR or something else I don't know, but her reaction to another dog needs to change to get her CGC as a first step.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

Is that pretty much the worst she gets, or is she usually worse/better?
Old 11-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Just try me..

Well if you do classes etc the instructor would work with that. I can tell you that is 110% better than most of my clients dogs are like when they come.

I would suggest going back to a cue to focus on you. (and ALWAYS ALWAYS reward the click.. I can't stress that enough.. if you don't you are lying to your dog) Eventually you want to get to the point where the your dog thinks other dogs are a cue to focus on you.

Right now Kat barks and screams at dogs when we go places. (though interestingly if we are working in an agility ring she can stay focused on working) She is starting to to bark once than watch my face.