Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-15-2009, 02:03 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I am not defending him in anyway so don't take this wrong. When we lived on the farm, 250 acres the farm houses were located at the front. THat was where the dogs were, including one that was aggressive that belonged to the farm owners. WE were the surfs. People come and people go on a farm. I woudln't want to fence one in way in the back..I don't know what the answer to that is only that the size of the farm doens't necessarily mean there is space for one somewhere else. THat woudl be a lonely. IF your a social person and the dog is glued to you that would be difficult.

DOes anyone else know what happened to the other dogs or is this the only one? Guess I should go look at his website.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
SO It has been interesting to read the different perspectives on this thread, and disappointing as well.
Yeah, it's really disappointing that he's not a better trainer/dog person. Because I think I would find his books enjoyable if I could get past what he did/does to his dogs.

Rose is the one that had to put up with a ton from him during her herding training. In the book, Dogs of Bedlam Farm, he pushed her and pushed her when she was really young and he shouldn't have.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-15-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm All Ears

I knew it was pretty big. I guess I don't understand how he'd find a more isolated place than a 110 acre farm. :/

My biggest problem is when Katz is brought up on other all breed boards Orson is paraded as the 'dog to remind people not to have bcs'. Border collies face a lot of stereotypes and it irks me that he is passed off as an expert to some and his dogs used as examples to further the border collie stereotype.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Border collies face a lot of stereotypes and it irks me that he is passed off as an expert to some and his dogs used as examples to further the border collie stereotype.
Same for me... I read part of one of his books in a bookstore once and I just wasn't enjoying it. I can't say for sure if it was just bias to the author or if I just wasn't a fan of how he writes. I consider him a lot like Cesar Milan. He's an entertainer masquarading as somebody far more knowledgable, and dogs suffer for it. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Same for me... I read part of one of his books in a bookstore once and I just wasn't enjoying it. I can't say for sure if it was just bias to the author or if I just wasn't a fan of how he writes. I consider him a lot like Cesar Milan. He's an entertainer masquarading as somebody far more knowledgable, and dogs suffer for it. =P
I think that could be part of the disconnect between the 'disney' idea of dogs and actual dogs. Its a rare find to get someone who is actually good with dogs as well as being a great writer, or charismatic reality tv star. Pop culture cares more about the flavour of the moment than the actual content of what they are consuming.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Its a rare find to get someone who is actually good with dogs as well as being a great writer,
Patricia McConnell. I think she's a wonderful writer and has not only a great knowledge of dogs and their behavior, but has such a full spectrum, heart felt love for them.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-17-2009, 04:35 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Also, the woman who wrote "Bones would rain from the sky"
Old 11-17-2009, 07:02 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I will look both of those up thank you.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Also, the woman who wrote "Bones would rain from the sky"
Oh yes..Suzanne Clothier. That's a wonderful book. I read that quite a few years ago. Also, I think Jean Donaldson is a good writer. She is very economical with her words, something I admire especially and wish I could be more that way. LOL. And yet, she paints a very good picture. The style is much different, she gets right in there and tells it like it is, gets the job done, no nonsense. But as far as comparing to more like you're reading a captivating novel, Patricia McConnell is just really good, imo.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Top Dog

My grandma and I have read a lot of the Jon Katz books about Orson and Rosie and all the others. He is a very insightful writer and knows how to tell a great story. We enjoy them very much.