Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLacy View Post
LOL, you guys always kill me with your reviews. I've seen some of the youtube vids worse than that. How was I supposed to know and who am to question her?
LOL. We don't expect you to have known or to have questioned her. We comment because we feel it's important for people to learn the good and the bad. And because we tend to be a very vocal and opinionated group. Those worse videos haven't been posted here for us to critique.

Ya know, there are lots of city folk who take herding lessons. <hint, hint> It's a great way to build a stronger relationship with a herding breed.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Those worse videos haven't been posted here for us to critique.
LOL, glad I could give you guys a video to go "Shark Frenzy".

Seriously, it was fun, but not convenient at all to me. It was however a bit more lively than Rally . Honestly, I just think you must have the time and location to support herding and I just don't. As it's not a part of my lifesyle or business model and don't recognize it as a profit center, it falls off the radar pretty quickly. It was just a fun thing to do with my new dog.

Just on a personal note. I thought of our smike at times and even told my son on the long car ride about smkie and Mary. My son got very quiet and I had a lump in my throat as I told her story. It dawned on me how lucky I really am to be where I am at that very moment. I have 2 outstanding healthy young dogs to enjoy and others are not so fortunate in spite of their very best efforts. Yes, I had a very good day, we all did.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:37 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

THat touches my heart. I am glad that you have two strong healthy dogs with lots of years ahead of you. (((HUGS)))

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLacy View Post
LOL, glad I could give you guys a video to go "Shark Frenzy".
My apologies. Next time I see a video with cringe worthy methods in it, I'll just say how sweet the video is.

/end sarcasm.

I have no thoughts of you knowing what is a good herding trainer is and what a bad herding trainer is. My post was simply to inform you that the trainer was letting things get way out of control for just an exposure. And that it probably wouldn't be very productive to pay this lady for lessons again. But you've already made it clear that you don't plan on doing herding again with Jax.

I felt the need to explain my thoughts on the video because I already had PMs about how this video scared some people, that were interested in herding, because of how out of crontrol everyhthing was and they didn't want to put there dogs through that.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
I felt the need to explain my thoughts on the video because I already had PMs about how this video scared some people, that were interested in herding, because of how out of crontrol everyhthing was and they didn't want to put there dogs through that.
LOL.... I was watching the video and had plans to PM you by the end.

I also know nothing about sheep, I don't think I've ever seen one even driving past a field. But watching Jax chase them in the corral I saw panic on their faces, and the fact that it went on as long as it did in that video - or longer? - also makes me wonder about that trainer. Again, I've never been around sheep or herding trials or anything, but those methods raised red flags in my mind just for the health and welfare of those sheep.

That said, I wouldn't presume to give you advice about which trainer to go to or what methods to use, because as far as I know, it's possible this could be the "right" way to do herding. But if that WAS the "right" way to do herding, I'd never do it... I couldn't tolerate that look of panic every class.

That said, with as "alive" as Jax came when he was with the sheep, I can't believe you aren't even considering giving him that experience more often. If that's truely the happiest you've ever seen him..... well, I personally wouldn't mind driving a couple of hours once or twice a month to give him such happiness. JMO, though.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm All Ears

Lizmo, maybe posting a good video of introducing a dog to sheep would be beneficial for concerned people.

I've seen a few but I can't remember where I saw them on youtube...
Old 11-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Water Junkie

Definitely, let me check around and see.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Water Junkie

This video is of very bad quality, but it shows what might go on during the first exposure. The trainer isn't right on the middle of it because it was going fine. After we stopped this session, he went back for a second exposure and the trainer was right in the middle of it changing his directions. You can see that since this isn't a small number of sheep, they aren't more apt to split up and they are very dog broke - dog broke or 'puppy sheep' should always be used when putting a dog or pup on stock for the first time.

This is my Blaze at 4 months old.

YouTube - Blaze on Sheep 2

This is another good video showing how the trainer should be during the first exposure. You can see by about the middle of the session things were getting out of control and how the trainer reacted by making things more controled again.

This is Blaze's brother.

YouTube - JinxTheBorderCollie's Channel

This is another good video of a prominant USBCHA trialer's pup's first exposure. Very calm and controled.

YouTube - Bart (Border Collie) 12 weeks on sheep 03/22/2008

For anyone who would like to watch and learn more about herding, I strongly suggest you check out these videos. The videos have the handler explaining everything that is going on during the video. GREAT watch and learning experience!

Denise Wall training May - BC Boards

l ~Jennifer~ l
Old 11-15-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm All Ears

The one of Bart was the one I was thinking of! I think that video is amazing especially for people wanting to see what raw talent the breed has.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

Awesome, Lizmo, thanks!