Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Big Dog

Default White German Shepherd

Alot of people have been telling me that the "white gsd" is a poor quality of the Gsd world. Is this true ? Im not going to look at my dog any different , but i just thought it would have the intelligence as a normal one may.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Big Dog

I don't really know that much about the "GSD world" but growing up we always had White GSDs....they all were all SAR dogs...they were all very brave and very very intelligent
Old 11-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Big Dog

Beautiful ! thank you . She is only 12 weeks old , and she is well house trained already , wakes me to go out . When she's done outside, comes to the door . (even though im out there with her )
Old 11-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Love my pets

She's so beautiful! I had to laugh when you said she goes to the door to come back in and you're still outside.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Big Dog

Haha ! ya , you'd have to see it . Pretty histarical sometimes. Shes a sweetie
Old 11-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Salty Sea Dog

the thing with the white gsd is that the color is not acceptable in the breed standard, through the AKC.
the idea of the AKC is to "judge" a dog based on the standard to be "ideal" for breeding purposes...
since white GSD's cant be shown anyone advertising AKC white german shepards (especially if they dont do health testing or any kinf of work with their dogs) is simply a back yard breeder.

UKC however accepts the white shepard in the show ring.

the key is to look at the breeder...were the parents properly health tested, did they do anything with their dogs (gsds are after all a working breed so if they dont do confirmation, do they at least do obedience or agility even CGC and therapy work...something to prove the parents worth...
do the parents look like they should (theres a big difference in a working bred gsd and a show bred gsd in AKC rings, seems to be a little less in the UKC however.

bad breeding will not make a dog DUMBER nessicarily (though lots of inbreding can) it can however effect health and temperment.

personally i see no problem in a white gsd (which can occur from 2 normally colored parents if they carry for white) IF the breeder is a good breeder...
i also dont nessicarily belive a breeder has to be involved in cofirmation to be a good breeder (though having someone outside and familiar with the breed take a look at the confirmation of the dog is a good idea as they shoudl still look like the breed should...)

hope this helps.
you got a very cute and sounds like smart little puppy there

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 11-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Puppy Dog

The White GSD is not a "lesser quality" GSD. At least, not like it used to be.

There are many White fanciers that are breeding and exhibiting beautiful white dogs in many venues, and doing all of the proper health testing that goes along with breeding.

BTW, inbreeding has little to do with dogs being "dumber" (sorry, I could not allow a false statement to stand).

Inbreeding (and linebreeding) are useful and important to use (when you know what you're doing!).
Old 11-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
the thing with the white gsd is that the color is not acceptable in the breed standard, through the AKC.
the idea of the AKC is to "judge" a dog based on the standard to be "ideal" for breeding purposes...
since white GSD's cant be shown anyone advertising AKC white german shepards (especially if they dont do health testing or any kinf of work with their dogs) is simply a back yard breeder.

UKC however accepts the white shepard in the show ring.
Hey Foxy,
Why would you say they are a BYB if they advertise AKC white GSD's?

If they have S&R dogs and use the AKC as a registry, that would be OK, wouldn't it?

Or will the AKC not register white dogs at all?

Personally, I am not into GSD's that aren't from working lines, whether they be white or sable... however that has nothing to do with the color white itself, but just the people who tend to breed them... I have a picture somewhere of a white dog doing bitework, I saved it because I'd never seen that before LOL

They are beautiful. Someday I'd like to get a white dog from working lines, even though I bet that will be a quite a challenge.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Someday I'd like to get a white dog from working lines, even though I bet that will be a quite a challenge.
I actually don't think you'll be able to find one that isn't a cross line to be honest. White is basically extinct in those lines, or if they show up...nobody mentions it (the puppies are usually euth'd over in Europe). If you find one, do tell!

And I do disagree with Foxy that ANY White GSD breeder is a BYB. There are a couple of REALLY nice breeders of whites and if they didn't breed whites I'd buy from them. I don't have an issue with them breeding the color since they are breeding responsibly, I just find solid white a bit plain

White GSDs are fully AKC registerable. They are still purebred even if they are of a disqualified color. AKC overall registers the breed of the dog, not the color (if you know what I mean)
Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeph View Post
I actually don't think you'll be able to find one that isn't a cross line to be honest. White is basically extinct in those lines, or if they show up...nobody mentions it (the puppies are usually euth'd over in Europe). If you find one, do tell!
Yeah that's what I heard. The gene is recessive though, so anything's possible! My plan is/was to send out a message to the local breed clubs/breed wardens that a crazy Canadian is looking for a white working pup LOL see where that goes. Maybe someone keeps them around, or maybe they would do me a favor and spare one... which could get complicated. It's a dream, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeph View Post
White GSDs are fully AKC registerable. They are still purebred even if they are of a disqualified color. AKC overall registers the breed of the dog, not the color (if you know what I mean)
That's what I remembered... I'm pretty sure Foxy doesn't think all breeders of white GSD's are BYB's, I was just curious why registering with the AKC made a difference.