Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

Did you ask the vet to scrape it while you were there?

We've taken dogs in with suspected ringworm, and the vet has told us that he THINKS that's what it is and wants to save us money so he'd forgo the skin scrape. Instead, he gave us a cream that's antibacterial / antifungal, and would fix it if it was ringworm or a bacterial infection. So far it's always worked.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:06 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

I actually didnt ask. I was just suprised that she didnt suggest it.
Id imagine that if it didnt improve she would do a skin scrapping.

there are just a few things about her that drive me crazy.
she doesnt return phone calls! I always end up having to call her the next day and she doesnt call me back until that afternoon, so thats like 31 hours waiting on a phone call! And she seems to say "hmm, i am not sure" more times than i would like to hear. and this whole thing with not suggesting a skin scrapping.

*shurgs* I am not a vet. I guess i shouldnt give them such a hard time.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Top Dog

Just keep in mind that you are your dog's advocate while you are at the vet. If you think your dog has ringworm, ask the vet how she would diagnose ringworm and what thought process brought her to the decision she made that day. Ask what it might be if it's not ringworm, and how the meds she gave you is going to help that. Ask what the chances are that the meds will not work, and when to bring your dog back if you don't see improvement.

I ask my vet TONS of questions when I go in.... He's been known to draw me diagrams. I think he kind of likes it because it shows that I'm interested in something that he obviously also thinks is interesting. And it's nice because he now gives me more and more details, and does less "dumbing down" since he knows that I've learned a lot now.

If your vet will not answer your questions or return phone calls or whatever else, maybe you should think about switching. But I would not switch simply because she didn't do a skin scraping in this case.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Considering you've been exposed to several ringworm positive dogs, I would have requested that a fungal culture be done, just to rule it out. All that would be required was plucking a few hairs and doing a dermatophyte culture. I guess if you're getting the treatment anyway, it won't matter but it would be nice to know since you have other pets.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 11-15-2009, 02:05 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Quote:
How can it be diagnosed with no scraping?
Well some species of ringworm fluoresce under blacklight, so it's possible to diagnose without a scraping, but not very reliable. Only works about half the time, and that may be dependent on location (IE various species of fungi, but I'm no mycologist so I can't say for sure if there's a lot of variation; just speculation).

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown