Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Completely agree! BUT, by entering a place with a bunch of riled up dogs who have the potential to bite, you have to accept that it's a risk. If it happens, you have every right to take action for it...but you also could have prevented it by not bringing your kid to a place where that could happen.

Fights happen at dog parks. Period. Most of the time, all the dogs get along just fine, but on occasion someone gets provoked, and it's dangerous to have a small kid there then.
I see your point... I personally wouldnt bring a kid to a dog park but I dont mind seeing them there really as long as they are behaving... I just in general think too many people with no common sense bring dogs to the dog park (<-- and that had nothing to do with what you said, LOL.. just threw it in there)
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 PM
orange iguanas.

I hate seeing kids at dog parks. Juno is typically fine with kids, she spends her entire day with them... but the dog park tends to make her very excited and silly and I can't guarantee that she won't jump up on a child that's running around. She's a puppy and to her something running around possibly with it's arms flailing is just an invitation to play.

Aside from that I just think it's a very bad idea for parents to bring their kids in. When those dogs are playing with each other they are soooo oblivious to everything around them, and I don't think there has been a single time I've gone without having dogs slam into my legs. I can anticipate when it's going to happen and I can hold my ground, but children could easily get knocked over left and right. That's not about badly behaved dogs who lack training--that's just about dogs running around having fun, and kids getting in the way.

Luckily I've only seen kids at my dog park maybe a handful of times.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Top Dog

My dogs are well-behaved at home, not sure what it is, but at the dog park, forget about it lol. Though they have a good recall, if I want to get them to do something at times, its like all they block it out once at the park, all they notice is the other dogs, they aren't even interested in toys or balls.

Now as for kids, I'm OK with it as long as the parent is watching them and not just dumping them there, and they are well-behaved or the parent is supervising over them.

I hate when people just drop their kids off at the park, or those annoying kids that ask you 564867421324874645378788 questions, and the best are the ones with parents, who aren't even paying attention to them and let them do whatever, once I saw a kid pick up Valentino when he was a puppy and almost DROPPED HIM trying to show him to his mom.

Not just kids though, I've seen people just grab my dogs without even asking me. It FREAKS ME OUT, because I'm trying to keep an eye out for four dogs, and I don't want someone one of my dogs while I'm not looking, so I get a big attitude about it when people do that!!

But I LOVE kids that are polite, play chase/fetch with your dog, and ask to pet your dog, ask a COUPLE of questions, thats cute, but when it hits like question 50, I'm like ok kid, uuuh go over to your mom or something lol. Not that I'm mean or anything, it doesn't bother me as much, but I'm trying to pay attention to MY DOGS and spend quality time with them, not babysit your kid and answer all their questions the whole time I'm there!!

Old 11-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
IF your dog goes to the dog park your dog should have one hundred percent recall and you should be watching your dog. SO YES it is your fault. IF you saw your dog running toward a child you should have called your dog back and your dog should have been redirected. IF your dog does not have solid recall or you are the kind of owner that is easily distracted then you should not be in an off leash dog park.
If the child was 5 years old in our dog parks it would be the parent's fault because in our dog parks if your child is under 8 years old they do not belong inside the dog park. If the child is 8 years or older than they need to be supervised closely by the parents. That's not saying that parents follow the rules though as I have seen children younger than 8 years old in the dog park. Fortunately nothing has happened yet that I know of.

http://monmouthcountyparks.com/docum...3/offleach.pdf

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 PM
~Lisa~

Quote:
IF your dog goes to the dog park your dog should have one hundred percent recall and you should be watching your dog. SO YES it is your fault. IF you saw your dog running toward a child you should have called your dog back and your dog should have been redirected. IF your dog does not have solid recall or you are the kind of owner that is easily distracted then you should not be in an off leash dog park.

I agree.

Blaze would love nothing more then to chase a group of kids at the dog park.but He knows better then to do that. I wouldbe mortified i he did it.

What happens if you are walking your dog on leash and a child runs by? same thing your dog jumps/ same situation, except dog is on leash, and child is running down a steet.

People need better control. IMO.

Which is why I hide at ourdog park. which VERy lucky and able to do. never running in to a single sole if I dont want too.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Salty Sea Dog

but what happens if that same child runs up to the dog...
runs up to a pair of dogs playing roughly ect?

i have no problem with well behaved children under their parents direct supervision playing calmly and nicely, mabe playing fetch or off to the side fussing a "quiet" dog...

but uncontroled children running around like lunatics, running up to dogs getting in the middle of a group of riled up playing dogs, there going to get bumped, knocked down, mabe even accidentally nipped if the kid decides to grab a tug toy ect...

personally i dont think somone who takes their dog to a dog park should have to stop their dogs when playing nicely JUST because a parent is letting their kid run around uncontroled...
i think its incredibly unfair to the dogs who are playing nicely...BUT playing like dogs play...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 11-12-2009, 09:53 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

IF there is a child running about playing inappropriately or in an area where I Think my dog might bump the child I would leash up. I leash up for lots and reasons at a dog park if i think the situation is iffy. That is what I meant by monitoring every move your dog makes when your dog is out there. Like a coach in a field sport you referee..it is what you are suppose to do. We have moved to other parts of the dog park, down the beach, leashed up and waiting for someone to leave. You don't however let your dog be around a situation where you think he might get in trouble. IF you haven't taught him not to jump on children, and there is a child there, leash up or leave. Dog parks are all about common sense. I wouldn't set foot in one of those 2 acre parks. IMO it's too small and not safe for anyone. The only large one i have been to is 55 acres. THere is plenty of room to go elsewhere. I also think there is a big difference between being jumped on and being bumped into. Either way if It hink the child is in danger I am not going to be an active participant in it.

I have never set up a pole but if i had the energy I would.

I would like to know when people post their opinions on dog parks and dog park behaviors what their dog park experiences are. WHat size of dog park they attend. I think it would be a great help in understanding their perspective. I have gone with up to 3 dogs at a time and one child to our park. I have gone for a decade without incident. I go at least once a month and for years i went every Saturday morning. I have usually met up with someone like Zoom and our dogs know each other so sometimes we could be a group of up to 6.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Salty Sea Dog

deifnatly lucky there smikie...
the LARGEST dog park in FFC CT is only 1/2 an acre for the large dogs and 1/4 an acre for the small dog area. thats IT...and thats the largest most popular park.

so deinfatly in your case leash up and move to a different area...

but around here, parents use it as a petting zoo and the only way to keep a kid safe like that is to leash up and leave completly...why shoudl a dog have to imediatly ends its fun just because some parent hasnt got control over their child.

the worst case so far was posted on a newsgroup im on for a dog park in the area...
a chihuahua mix was killed today when a young (5) yr old boy, whos mother was busy talking to her frined at the picknic table, fell on the chihuahua mix, breaking its back and then snapping the dogs neck when he tried to get up.

family did NOT have a dog, when asked why they were there the reson given "because he LOVES little dogs" the owner of the dog was no more than 5 ft away leashing her other chihuahua getting ready to leave because of the presnece of the family when the toddler ran over to the dog and fell on it.

the family are refusing to pay anything and refusing to offer more than a back arsed apology.

their apology "were realy sory this happend, but when people bring their pets to a place kids play accidents happen"

i can tell you now, had the dog bitten the child all hell would have broken loose!

the dog park is NOT the pace for your kids to play, thats what the other 20 acres of the park and 2 acreses of dedicated TODDLER playspace is for...

the owner of the dog is folloing up legally for the cost of cremation for the dog, and the comittee for the dog park is petitioning for stricter rules and the additional funds to employ 2-3 people to enforce the "no children under 8, and no unsupervised children rules.
these emploees would have the power to remove families using the park as a petting zoo, and call the police shoudl they refuse...

its one thing when you have 20 acres to move your dogs around in...but in 1/2 acre kids have no place in that setting...especially when for many dogs its the ONLY place they get to play offleash.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 11-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
I would like to know when people post their opinions on dog parks and dog park behaviors what their dog park experiences are. WHat size of dog park they attend. I think it would be a great help in understanding their perspective.
I agree, it is a good thing to know what kind of dog parks people are thinking about when talking about this because not all dog parks are made equal.

Mine sounds a lot like yours. Very very large with lots of areas you can go off to and not be bothered. Takes me a good hour to walk around the whole thing at a fast pace and that's not even going on the other trails, beaches or other places.

But because of that I think it makes it even more dangerous to have out of control kids there. There are hills at my DP and twists and turns, trees and brush. I can't see around every bend and my dog will get ahead of me. If I need to I can call them back because their recall is very good (again, I will never say 100% because you NEVER know) but that means I have to see it to know that I have to call them back.

What it comes down to is you need to have control of your dog at the dog park or have the ability to gain control but no dog should be expected to be on it's best and most reliable behavior at a dog park. It's one of the few places they can just be dogs.

Parents of children need to do the same, their child needs to be in control and they need to have the ability to take control if they have to. But it's a dog park. It's not there for the child's entertainment and in my opinion they need to be held under much stricter and higher standard of control for the safety of themselves and other dogs.

If my dog runs, jumps and knocks over your kid at a play ground or even just on the street then I would responsibility. But if a kid not under control at the DOG park does things to encourage my dogs to chase, jump and possibly knock over your child then that parent is responsible. Maybe my dog didn't stop on a dime and turn around when faced with a highly distracting small child they are never exposed to doing a whole bunch of really interesting things at the place where they get to run, play, swim and roll in dead things but I'm sorry, but I place the blame at the parents feet
Old 11-13-2009, 12:57 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I wouldn't set foot in one the size of the 2 acres they have in the city. Too small too much of a chance for cramped play = fights. No room to run away from a bully either.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,