Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-11-2009, 04:30 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

With all due respect how is your dog safe otherwise? IT is not the place for training your dog. IT is the place for trained dogs. I go often and have for almost a decade. I stand beside what i wrote. Ours is not empty, quite the opposite and I have met wonderful dogs and owners. I have also met quite a few that need to finish their basics and then come back. A few I wish would never step in it again. Bottom line is if your dog is off leash, you are responsible for what your dog does. IF you go knowing your dog does not have a solid recall then you are responsible for what happens if your dogs harms anyone.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

Kids at the DP make me insane!! I am on pins and needles the whole time. The best was when a barely walking toddler was at a DP, with a stuffed toy, in the middle of the day Saturday. Fortunately she was fine but I was watching her like a hawk (for her own safety)!

Thankfully, my dog really doesn't care about kids. I just make sure he steers clear of them completely in DPs. Not because he would do anything to them -- he seems to understand intrinsically that kids are "different" and he needs to be careful around them -- but for instances when he might be playing with another dog too close to a child and accidentally knock the kiddo down.

At the end of the day, while I may think that any particular parents are idiots for bringing their kids to the dog park, I will do my best to ensure that no child is hurt. It's not about being "right" IMO.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

I do not believe an off leash dog park is any place for a child, and I cannot understand a parent thinking it is a good thing to do. But that aside I have to agree with Smkie. A solid recall should be in place before a dog goes to a dog park. This is only one of the many reasons that a solid recall would have saved a situation from happening. Without a solid recall what would you do if you saw a dog entering the park that really had no buisness being there? Your dog runs over and fight ensues because you were powerless to get your dog to return. Sure, the other dog should not be in the park (just the same as children should not be there) but IDIOTS are always going to dog parks!

Dog parks are an uncontrolled environment where you never know at what time the variables might change. Without complete control of your dog you could be setting it up to fail.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Just try me..

The thing with expecting all dogs to be perfect.. well to me thats more than silly. YES many people go to the dog park to train. How else do you get to work your dog around many other dogs? You can't proof except around what you are proofing against.

I do think dogs should have the basics. But 100% recall is not basic. In fact it is extreemly advanced.. in fact nigh impossible. Humans aren't perfect and neither are dogs. You can train all you want, but that doesn't mean things can't happen.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:36 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

YOU set up play dates with your friends dogs. YOu go to training classes and engage with other dog and other people there. YOu walk on the street a bazillion miles on a leash and train for the unexpected. Getting them use to all kinds of surprises. THat's how. I have had play dates with quite a few dogs that are learning how to be around other dogs to prepare for going to the dog park. YOu know your dog. When your dog comes even with intense distraction and you know your dog will not fight.or get carried away...then your ready. YOu do not go if your dog has any issues with other dogs period.

That goes for big dogs and little dogs. ONe more little dog runs up and jumps up on VIctor I swear. EVen at the Unplaza ARt Fair, right under the tent flap. THey need to learn just as much as the big ones what is acceptable.

Maybe impossible for You Dekka but my dogs are just fine and so are my friends. that I frequent the park with. Not impossible and we all do it all the time. WE were in the woods (not the dog park) when a loose dog chased down hard on Pepper's rear end. I yelled COME COME COME COME and had three dogs at my feet in a matter of seconds. Had no idea where VIctor was but it didn't matter. HE stays within hearing range, they all do .COme means COME no matter what.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Top Dog

I just want to clarify that while I still think dogs should have a solid recall in an off leash park- for at the very least their own saftey, I was wrong in saying "without complete control", dogs are dogs and 100% control is impossible. But this is why I never go to dog parks, I know my dogs and I know their strengths and weaknesses. It isn't my own dogs that I worry about, but the uncontrolled variable that could cause a major problem.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Just try me..

If you don't have friends with lots of dogs..

For example, I am quite involved with dogs, but most of my friends don't have dogs. Classes are ok, but its easy to control your dog around other controlled dogs. Living in the country I don't see many dogs, and walking down the street is a bad idea (dog wise) I do go into town, but I never see other dogs when walking mine.

Its great if you live in high dog populated areas, but if you don't...

And dogs all running loose is very different than dogs on leashes ignoring eachother for the most part. If you have easy dogs then its not a big deal.

Anyway I thought dog parks were for dogs? Lets say someone has a very nice dog who gets along with other dogs great, but is a bit rambunctious (say its young, still in training and needs the dog park so they can run off some extra energy) Why should that dog not be able to enjoy a DOG park because there are small children there?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

I agree with Dekka. I think dogs should have some basic obedience and not be aggressive or dangerous to anyone, dog or human. But cotton-pick-it! There are so many doggone places that dogs aren't allowed to go. There are people parks and picnic grounds where dogs aren't allowed, play grounds for kids all over the gosh darn place and dogs aren't allowed. City beaches...dogs not allowed. Gosh darn it! Why can't there be someplace where kids aren't allowed and dogs are????? Like a dog park. Or keep the kids on a leash or under control. Let the dogs have some fun and get to be dogs.

I think dogs should be under reasonable control and be reasonably well mannered, but perfect, 100% recall (I don't believe that exists in the best trained dogs) and perfect "human" behavior at all times? Ridiculous...especially for a puppy or adolescent dog who needs some exercise and that's the only place to get it. People need to chill, make kids not allowed, and let their dogs have some fun as they mature and learn the ropes. If only perfect dogs were allowed, yeah, the parks would be useless. Dogs need to run. I'm just glad I don't depend on a dog park. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't live in a place like this.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I agree with Dekka. I think dogs should have some basic obedience and not be aggressive or dangerous to anyone, dog or human. But cotton-pick-it! There are so doggone places that dogs aren't allowed to go. There are people parks and picnic grounds where dogs aren't allowed, play grounds for kids all over the gosh darn place and dogs aren't allowed. City beaches...dogs not allowed. Gosh darn it! Why can't there be someplace where kids aren't allowed and dogs are????? Like a dog park. Or keep the kids on a leash or under control. Let the dogs have some fun and be dogs.

I think dogs should be under reasonable control and be reasonably well mannered, but perfect, 100% recall (I don't believe that exists in the best trained dogs) and perfect "human" behavior at all times? Ridiculous...especially for a puppy or adolescent dog who needs some exercise and that's the only place to get it. People need to chill, make kids not allowed, and let their dogs have some fun.
Agreed
Old 11-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Anyway I thought dog parks were for dogs? Lets say someone has a very nice dog who gets along with other dogs great, but is a bit rambunctious (say its young, still in training and needs the dog park so they can run off some extra energy) Why should that dog not be able to enjoy a DOG park because there are small children there?
I agree -- but it's probably because I have one of those.