Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Top Dog

Default Speaking of dog parks....

Is it my fault if my dog chases a running kid and jumps on him or her? If I see a kid who is running, I usually try to warn them or their parents because Zoe thinks it's a game to chase them, and she will knock them down. I always feel badly, but shouldn't parents know not to let their 5 year olds run around in a dog park?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Top Dog

Ollie loves kids and could easily knock them down . Knowing it's a dog park and not a children's park , if he happened to hurt one , I'd feel very bad but wouldn't blame him .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-11-2009, 03:59 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

IF your dog goes to the dog park your dog should have one hundred percent recall and you should be watching your dog. SO YES it is your fault. IF you saw your dog running toward a child you should have called your dog back and your dog should have been redirected. IF your dog does not have solid recall or you are the kind of owner that is easily distracted then you should not be in an off leash dog park.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Top Dog

Gosh, will all due respect, if only dogs with 100% perfect recall went to the dog park it would be empty most of the time!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

I don't feel that most children belong at dog parks, so while I'd feel bad if my dog jumped on a child (because the dog should've listened when I told it to leave the kid alone or called it back), the child shouldn't have been there in the first place. A lot of dogs don't get enough socialization time with kids to know exactly how to behave around them. I know mine don't, as hard as I tried. The Dobes are really great with kids despite that fact, but Dance is afraid of them. I just don't know enough kids, and most parents don't allow their kids around strange dogs, so it's hard. If I was a parent, knowing that most dogs have limited child experience, I would never bring my kid to a dog park. And if I did, I'd have to kind of expect that the kid might be jumped on and chased.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 11-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Resident fainting goat

Not totally
first, kids shouldn't be running at dogparks. dog parks are for DOGS to play in.. not kids

on one hand, it is unfortunate, your dog should've been in better control but on the other, that kid shouldn't have been running around in a park full of dogs.
dogs like to chase fast moving things...
Old 11-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I don't think most small kids belong in dog parks.. but so many morons own dogs and do stupid things.. often in dogs parks I avoid them. I'm a big fan of small children running around with fast food in dog parks being jumped all over and parents having a fit about it. Seen that so many times it's become sadly common.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 11-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Yorkie Love

Many dogs are not suited for dog parks... to many people use them to let their unruly dogs get exercised.

I basically agree with smkie... I watch my dog closely the whole time and call him off of situations I dont like. I dont really love when I see kids in the dog park but they are allowed there, so if I see one misbehaving I keep my dog away from them.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I no longer go to our dog park for this reason.
The rule is "no children under 12 allowed." No "no children under 12 without parental supervision," NO CHILDREN UNDER 12. PERIOD.
People do not follow that rule. There were people there that brought their young children and were basically letting the kids treat it like a petting zoo. The kids were reaching out grabbing at any dog they can get near trying to pet them. GRABBING AT. That is a recipe for disaster.

I do not go anymore. I won't put my dog into that situation ever again. Even if they are the ones breaking the rules I still believe it's my fault.
my fault that my dog has a herding drive. sigh.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Very Food Agressive

Well our dog park rules (posted by the door with age/weight limits and whatnot) say that children of a certain age aren't allowed at all unless they have supervision so at least in my park, I believe it's the parent's fault for not properly watching their child. That said, no one brings kids into our park but that's because .5 mile away there is a jungle gym and plenty of kid things to do.

Honestly, if you know any thing about dogs you know it's possible that any dog weighing more than your child has the potential to knock it down, even when it's not running after the child so keep the kid with you. Seriously, a dog park is for the dogs to run around in, not your children. I heard a story about someone who brought their TODDLER to the park a day I didn't go and Leroy (The most ball happy dog at the park) was getting chased by the toddler/parent's full grown hulking GSD and the GSD bowled the kid over at such a speed the poor kid got airborne. Can't really blame that on anyone but yourself since not only was it your dog that about ran over the kid, but it was your kid!

I just think it's common sense not to bring small, easily hurt children to the dog park.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.