Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Active Pup

Default Happy end to sad story..please help..

Good morning, I'm new here and hope to find some friends and advice!
Over the weekend my beloved chi/mix passed away. His name was Boo and I have had him for 16 wonderful years. He passed away in his sleep due to old age. Needless to say I was completly devastated, still am. My kids took it hard too (3 girls ages 6-11). Well, last night my mom came over and brought me the sweetest baby girl, a dashound, with a big bow on her head! She is so cute and I know my mom was trying to help but part of me can't help but feel like it is too soon. She bought her from a KILL shelter and ended up rescuing one for herself too. She came home with a puppy pack, her papers, shot reccors and spay certificate. I love her, really I do, I named her Esther. The problem I'm having is I am so far out of puppy mode I don't know where to begin. She is 1 month old and teething. Last night I kept her in the bathroom in my room but she cried so much I let her sleep in bed with me, which she loved and cuddled all night. She has wee weed in the dog bed, I gave her boo's bed which was very hard for me to do, maybe she was marking her space? I need to puppy proof the house. I have a crate I am getting ready for her but it was the one I used to train my old english bulldog (Layla, she is 6 and my other precious baby) So the crate is pretty big for her size. How should I set it up?? It has been so long since I have had a new puppy in the house and I need some advice to get going again. I am filling out her puppy history book now but it is kind of heartbreaking for me still. How can I pick myself up and start moving foward? I love my new baby, the whole family does. Can anyone give me some advice on ctare training, teething, puppy proofing etc...... I need some help. Thank you for listening!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Use the search function at the top of the forums menu bar, also, look through the puppy section. You will find tons of info there.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 11-11-2009, 07:36 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I am so sorry for you Boo. I have an oldster too and know what you are going through.

I bet Esther will work her way into everyone's heart in no time at all. Congrats, that was wonderful that your mom got them from a kill shelter.

I would secure an area close to the bed where you can paper it at night. THen as soon as she wakes up (or before) whisk her outside. THen set an timer every 30 mintues or so until you see her schedule for needing to urinate and move her bowels. Making sure especially right after they eat, and after drinking heavy after play. THat way you can start with success. I do this with puppies spacing out the timer once I see how often they need to go. Good Luck and WELCOME to Chazhound!

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Active Pup

Thanks for the response Smkie! What about crate training, is she old enough at 1 month? I was a member her several yrs ago (I was Laylasmom then) I joined after I got Layla, I am glad to be back, I know what a great site this is and look foward to making lots of new friends (and maybe some old!)
Old 11-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

It is never too early to start crate training. Get her into a routine ASAP before you have to break habits.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

ONe month is to me an infant and needs the closeness of living creatures. Crates seem to work for other people i do not use them so I won't comment on that. I do hope that it is close to the bed if you go that route. I can't imagine a one month old pup being alone at night.I kept mine where i could drop my hand and reassure using a big box. WE even had play pen for BAby Tate. By 8 weeks of course she was out of it but before that it helped a lot for when i needed her secure but still able to tumble about.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 11-11-2009, 09:53 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I am thinking too that both you and your mother will need to very carefully monitor signs of symptoms. If there is anything that resembles loss of appitite, or no interest in water. GO directly to the vet. I do not ever put such a young immune not ready pup on the floor of a vet, or take them anywhere they could be exposed to parvo. Imho it would be best if these two pups were kept together for 4 more weeks. Your and your mother are doing a wonderful things (and i love the name Esther..what is the sibling's name?) but your going to have to be diligent and careful. I have hand fed and raised a couple from 3 days up. IT can be done, they do turn out just fine with the right socialization and training after the danger danger age is past when the shots are fully in effect.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Top Dog

Sorry about your loss , but a big welcome to your new baby ! I'm with Smkie ..... the more closeness , the better !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Yorkie Love

She is only 1 month old?

That is very young... They have these toys that heat up that you could buy to put in the crate with her, also some tshirts you have worn... honestly at this age I would focus on just making sure she is really comfortable and getting everything she needs.

Gosh, I have never seen a puppy that small, is she even on solid food yet?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Active Pup

I thought about the t shirt too, she loves to snuggle. My mom lives a few towns over, but they seem to be doing well. The strange thing is though, when my mom was looking at the pups at the shelter (she went back twice before she decided to adopt) the lady told her that they were 1 month old and the last of the litter. On the reccords they sent home with her however, they listed her age as 2 months old. They also had given her her first worming and round of shots (parvo and distemper) I got a cirtificate for her first rabies vac when she is of age. Why the differance in age though? By the way, we are bonding very well, she is going to be a wonderful addition to the family! Oh, her brother's name is vinnie