Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Walks into Mordor

I know quite a few trainers that use no treats. They are almost all hunting/herding dog trainers. Makes sense to me: in the field or out on the ranch, you can't be fumbling for treats all the time.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom
To teach Saywer to sit I held a treat a few inches in front of his nose and then slowly moved it to a point up behind his head. In order to follow the treat, he had to sit. Butt hits the ground, treat hits the mouth. Now I just have to make a flicking motion with a loosely closed fist (like I'm holding a treat) for him to sit.
He goes crazy when he sees a treat, or he thinks he sees a treat. So I have to put my hands behind my back like I'm Morphieus from the matrix and say sit...
Old 09-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress
I know quite a few trainers that use no treats. They are almost all hunting/herding dog trainers. Makes sense to me: in the field or out on the ranch, you can't be fumbling for treats all the time.
Is there a way where I can switch? I'm sure that'll save me and my parents a couple bucks
Old 09-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Twin 2.0

Sawyer isn't terribly food motivated so I only use treats when teaching a new behavior. Once he's got it most of the way I just use praise. He responds well to clapping now.

My agility trainer can't get that through his head though; he actually chastized me for not heaping on the treats and praise. I tried telling him that my dog isn't all that food motivated and he interprets praise as a release command, but I don't think he believed me.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie1234
Is there a way where I can switch? I'm sure that'll save me and my parents a couple bucks
Sure! Nothing hard about it. The only time I ever use treats with Zeus is when he's learning something new. Just stop using treats, and use praise. Tell your pup what a wonderful, brilliant dog he is, and be sure you mean it.

At first, once he sees there are no treats, he'll probably stop listening as well as he used to. That's easy to fix though. All you have to do is always, ALWAYS, be sure he does the command when you tell him. Don't let him get away with ignoring you. He'll come around, and he'll realize that your approval is at least as wonderful as Scooby Snacks. But there is no harm in giving the occassional munchie, heh.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

, ok thanks, gempress
Old 09-06-2005, 12:11 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

praise is all a good bird dog ever needs..i mean think about it..you don't want to send a dog out to retrieve a bird..that is hot, bloody, and tasty having him think oh boy im gonna get a cracker when i get back..would be like you having a huge slice of pizza when your hungry and bringing to me for a pretzel reward. Not only that most hunters will tell you that a dog works better on an empty stomach..take them out full they are lazy and not quick on their feet. I have never had the same reaction with treats as with praise. The focus is on all the wrong things..i want their focus on me. The only thing i teach with a treat is to sit pretty..that's it. oh and when i want them to say thank you..i point to my ear and say "tell them thanks" or Say goodbye whatever and when Victor speaks people think he is saying what ever i said..instead of being cued by my discreet pointing to my ear..that is the only other treat trick..that is different from "working"

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Jerk.

BD and I are gonna have to learn the speak/ear trick. gonna have to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 09-06-2005, 04:18 AM
Trained by an Airedale

Misha is like Cooper, it is all about the treats with her and she goes crazy if she thinks I have something tasty for her. It took us a while to get a good lie down, but I used clicker training and that seemed to appeal to her food motivation. At first she would lie down with a moan and a sigh, as though she couldn't really be bothered and would only do it for treats. But now, she just goes straight down if she is told to, or for a toy etc. Good luck with Cooper - love that pic of him on your signature.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Top Dog

lol, thanks Martine