Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Top Dog

Default How do I teach my dog to lay down?

How do I teach him to lay down? It took me a couple seconds to teach him how to sit (such a good boy), but I'm having some trouble with this one.... any help will be appreciated
Old 09-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Big German Shepherd

Put him in the sit position- then, put the treat in front of his face and bring it down-- most times he'll go in the lay down position himself but he may need some encouragement (if he doesn't do it, gently assist him).

When he goes into that position, praise him and give him the treat.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191
Put him in the sit position- then, put the treat in front of his face and bring it down-- most times he'll go in the lay down position himself but he may need some encouragement (if he doesn't do it, gently assist him).

When he goes into that position, praise him and give him the treat.
thanks
Old 09-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Felurian

Perfect, DoggyDaddy!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-05-2005, 09:54 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

if he is resistant and you are assisting him..put your thumb and forefinger right behind the shoulderblades one finger on each side..there is a pressure point there that puts them almost instantly into a down.It doesn't cause them pain, i have never had a dog act anyway fearful or pain reactive, they just lay down if you have the right spot..Vic was like i get it..ok..and that was that.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Twin 2.0

I just tried that with Sawyer...I don't think I've got the right spot. I can feel him bowing his back to get away from the pressure and eventually he lays down, but it's nothing quick.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Walks into Mordor

Hmm, I didn't know about the pressure points. That's a useful thing to know. My baby Zeus, who is sweet as molassas and sometimes just as slow, never did figure out the whole "follow the treat" idea. After days of trying to get him to sit with a treat, I finally had to break down and gently push in on his rear legs, manuvering him into position. Same with down: I had to lift his forelegs and carefully lower him to the ground. It never scared or hurt him, so you might try it if the other methods don't work.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:33 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

maybe tomorrow i can draw a little diagram..i dont know what person taught me the two spots..the other for sit but oh my does it ever work. The lady i painted her "snowdog" was wrestling with her dog trying to get her to sit,and i walked over and said try this..she said "show me that again" i did..she said wow..i am not a treat advocator for training...with the bird dogs in field work it was forbidden..they were to work for one reason only and that was praise/love..and encouragement. I know the mintute kelly shows up at the water with her treats on her (or other people that smell just yummy" i have lost Mary's focus completely. Victor is abosultely not food motivated and that is just fine with me. i will see if i can draw it and explain better for it really works..and is instantanious (sp?) Snow dog was a Great Pyr so seeing the woman struggle was just awful..this allowed her to have total control.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Top Dog

wow, no treats? I grabbed his collar, pulled it up (gently), and pushed (gently) his bottom down and he would sit. As I was doing this I was saying "sit", then I would give him a treat and tell him he was the greatest pup . After doing it a couple times he got the idea, lol. I was suprised how easy it was to teach him to sit.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Twin 2.0

To teach Saywer to sit I held a treat a few inches in front of his nose and then slowly moved it to a point up behind his head. In order to follow the treat, he had to sit. Butt hits the ground, treat hits the mouth. Now I just have to make a flicking motion with a loosely closed fist (like I'm holding a treat) for him to sit.