Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-10-2009, 01:29 PM
<--------Orson

I didn't specifically mean these people, or these pups, it's just that you cruise CL and you often see a person listing pure bred pups and have 2-3 left with a hefty rehoming fee.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
Charging a reasonable fee can separate the people who actually are lookig for a dog and those who sell dogs to research labs or use the dogs for illegal purposes, etc. If you can't afford an amount like $250.00, for example, then maybe getting a dog is not a good idea.
It's NOT about being able to afford $250.00, $300.00 or $1000.00 for that matter.

It IS about a BYB selling litters of pups and making profit on CL when it's against the rules set forth.

How about this? You want to seperate the good and bad homes? Meet with the people, ask questions, visit THEIR home, get references..........it doesn't have to be about charging a crazy amount to see if they are fit.

'Cause we all know 'rich folk' would NEVER abuse their pet or dump it right?
Old 11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I agree with you Acooper. Huge "re-homing" or "adoption" fees are nothing more than trying to make a profit. And I totally disagree with that or repeat breedings. That goes back to what we've always talked about with respect to byb and puppy mills. I hope that isn't the case with this person. But it could be. It's hard to tell from that ad.
You think $250.00 is a "huge re-homing fee"?
Have you ever seen some of the ridiculous prices (I am referring to some, not all) registered, reputable breeders charge for their pups?
Old 11-10-2009, 01:53 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
You think $250.00 is a "huge re-homing fee"?
Have you ever seen some of the ridiculous prices (I am referring to some, not all) registered, reputable breeders charge for their pups?
Yes I have, and registered REPUTABLE breeders actually have EXPENSES concerning the pup. Bitches and sires are HEALTH tested........that isn't free. A lot of the times, REPUTABLE breeders PROVE the parents in some venue.......lots of time and money there as well.

REPUTABLE breeders have the pups vetted and supply a lifetime of service to you and your pup. So if I paid a good breeder $1000.00 for a pup at least I know where that money went.

These CL people SELLING litters have no expenses wrapped up in these dogs, they threw dog A and B together and let them mate. They delivered the pups for free and have supplied a bit of dog food for the last couple weeks after the pups were weaned. So please don't compare what a BYB sells a pup for compared to a reputable breeder..........it's not even apples and oranges, but more like apples and monkeys.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Top Dog

I agree with you on the concept that some breeders spend more money on the females and the pups, but I have also come across a fair share that do NOT.

Also, have you not noticed how so many dogs have so many health problems. I have several friends that have bought dogs from a "so called" registered, reputable breeders and those two dogs ended up having problems after problems with their health their entire lives. Also, have you not noticed how dogs have changed drastically from their true lines. And many have been changed by breeders. So in other words, no I do not agree that spending $1,000.00 is better.

I do not agree with BYB's either, but there are the few that do go the extra mile than the typical.

(Again I am not referring to all breeders, just a percentage)

In short, BYB's and Breeders have both extremes. Some are very knowledgable and some are not.

If I were comparing apples and monkeys I would be comparing a dog breeder with monkey breeder, not two types of "dog" breeders.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

One thing I don't get about flaggers is when they post, flag this ad its a byb, or when they re:re:re: argue with the bybs at hand, and thus that lost dog ad, gets put at the bottom of the page, thanks to SPAMMING FROM FLAGGERS!!!

Seriously this is 75% of CL's pet section:

FLAG THIS BYB
FLAGGERS GET A LIFE
RE:FLAGGERS GET A LIFE
RE
RE
RE
RE'' ''
I'M NOT A BYB, THIS WAS AN OOPS LITTER
FLAG THIS BYB
FLAG
FLAG
FLAG
FLAG
FLAG

Its very annoying quite frankly.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Also, have you not noticed how dogs have changed drastically from their true lines.
What does that have to do with Joe Blow charging $250 to rehome his dog because he's now too broke to feed it? Or any of the other dumb excuses people come up with when "rehoming?"

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

I was only using that as an "example" that some people think all BYB's are useless, when it goes both ways.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
They tried finding HOMES for them and you're trying to take that opportunity away from them, so what happens then? Have you thought about it.
They could repost their ad, making sure it adheres to CL rules.

I find the idea of charging $250+ for a rehoming fee to make sure the people you're selling to are actually good owners and not labs ridiculous. I do believe you should charge a rehoming fee for that purpose, but not THAT much of one. The reasoning that if you can't afford a $250 rehoming fee then you can't afford a dog is flawed; why not spend, say, $50 on said dog, and use the other $200 for vaccines, food, toys, etc. that a responsible dog owner needs to provide for their dog?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
I was only using that as an "example" that some people think all BYB's are useless, when it goes both ways.
How does it go both ways? There are good breeders and there are crappy ones. If people are in the category of BYB it's because they aren't a good breeder.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog