Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Yorkie Love

Default I am embarrassed to post this... Heat Question

Okay, so this is the kind of post someone makes during their first visit to a forum and then everyone tells them they are so dumb they shouldnt own a dog at all (yes I am exaggerating).

Chloe is 7 and 1/2 months and her vulva was very swollen a few days ago, it has since gone down and there were no other signs of a heat, no blood or anything... so this wasnt a heat then right? or can a heat be this minor?

I have never seen a dog in heat before How do I own an intact female and I am not capable of knowing what a heat it? Is it the kind of thing that once it happens you will just know?

Any insight would be useful I feel totally unqualified to own a dog.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Tsuki will be one on Saturday and she hasn't been in heat. Or at least I and both male dogs missed it. (And she is my first dog intact bitch lol)
Old 11-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Tsuki will be one on Saturday and she hasn't been in heat. Or at least I and both male dogs missed it. (And she is my first dog intact bitch lol)
are the boys still intact?

Armani hasnt acted any different either but he is neutered so I wouldnt really expect him to react that much.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

Don't feel bad- you've never experienced a dog in heat. Me either for that matter, at least as an adult. I guess it's possible Chloe came into heat, but I think the smaller breeds start later. I know my parents first JRT had weird heat cycles. She came into heat once a year, if that. Wish I could be of more help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
are the boys still intact?

Armani hasnt acted any different either but he is neutered so I wouldnt really expect him to react that much.
Oh heck, Mick was neutered and he let us know when she coming into heat. He had never been around a female in heat before being neutered, either.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Lincoln is intact... Stryder was neutered last summer because I didn't want to deal with his horny craziness anymore.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Love my pets

I've only experienced it once. We weren't sure when our girl was swollen but then one day it was obvious. She was very swollen and then the mess came along with it. My girl refused to wear anything I put on her as she thought pads, panties, etc... were new toys to take off. I will never, repeat, never go though another heat with a female again.....
Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Behavior Nerd

They can have silent or split heats, so I'd be very careful with her around intact males just to be sure and/or have the vet examine her to get more feedback on what's going on. When in doubt assume she's in heat - you never want to make that kind of mistake!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
They can have silent or split heats, so I'd be very careful with her around intact males just to be sure and/or have the vet examine her to get more feedback on what's going on. When in doubt assume she's in heat - you never want to make that kind of mistake!
There is no opportunity for any mistakes which is why I am not overly concerned about the issue.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Salty Sea Dog

small dogs are more prone to these kids of scilent heats, remember that little dogs = little messes, with the chihuahuas ive known, you only notice the swellign ebcause they are incredibly meticulaous about cleanlyness...BUT they are always meticulaous about being clean so...

some males dont bother, many neutered males dont react to a female in heat. particularly when neutered fairly young.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 11-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom;1496728...Oh heck, Mick [I
was[/I] neutered and he let us know when she coming into heat. He had never been around a female in heat before being neutered, either.
Oops, that should have been "...he let us know when our camp director's Lab was coming into heat..."