Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default Not Neutered Dog.. Is this Normal? and will neutering change him?

Romeo is not neutered (yet..) I'm going to wait until hes a bit older . Hes about 1 1/2 now and well, he doesn't mark, wander, hump, act aggresively, or anything like that! so I was wondering. is that normal? Isn't that what everyone says un neutered dogs do?

The not marking thing was a big surprise. I even bought a weenie wrap anticipating his arrival. but he doesn't mark inside at all.. he only marks trees and mailboxes and bushes lol Everyone had me worried that this unnetuered chihuahua would be peeing on every upright thing in my house! lol

He is just a friendly, nice, well behaved little dog with just the greatest personality and im worried that neutering him will change him somehow :/ make him less..I dunno, eager lol Right now hes just so peppy about everything in life. always ready for a walk, a game, to meet someone new..
He loves to cuddle and is loving and sweet. hes also very motivated and trainable, which from what I hear.. is not so common with chihuahuas lol

Will neutering change him?

His breeder is giving me free reign mostly on the neutering thing and when it would be best to do it. she likes to wait until atleast 2 I think she said.. & hes on limited registration regardless lol

I dunno, i guess im just being a baby about this but I figure if it ain't broke.. why fix it? hes so small (well hes average for a chihuahua but still @ 5.5 pounds, still pretty small for a dog) and Im just worrying about putting him through the surgery :/

I would really love however for people to stop trying to pressure me into breeding him.. that is getting annoying tho he has so much hair back there that I just tell people he's neutered anyway lol oh and its not just breeding him with other chihuahuas, ive gotten all kinds of offers lol yorkies, shnauzers, pomeranians.. its like they dont care as long as the pups will be small lol
Old 11-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

I think that's a common misconception that neutering will make such a vast improvement in certain behaviors. The most influence on a dog's behavior is his training/personality etc. I'm sure there are some things that neutering may help a little bit. (ie: the tendancy to wander)But to put so much emphasis on it or to attribute neutering to a big difference is just not very accurate, imo. Lots of people have intact dogs and manage just fine.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

I never found any difference , but then I never had horny dogs .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

I've not noticed any personality changes in my neutered males. I think that, particularly if you're waiting until after two, you won't see a difference. Even small dogs do fine in surgery these days. My 9ish lb dog goes under for a dental every few years, and she's an elderly girl
Old 11-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

I'm also a proponent of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

I never really considered neutering because a) I thought about breeding him and b) I wanted to work through having an intact dog so I knew how to handle all those crazy intact male dog behaviors when I DO get breeding dogs (lol, non existent in this case).

It's become apparent that he doesn't need to be neutered. Why pay to have someone remove his body parts, which like you said carries a certain risk, when he's perfectly behaved?

My mom's dog, which had the whole pediatric neuter thing dog is the humper at the dog park, my dog has never humped at the park.

The only things I can think of are that some places are not friendly towards intact dogs. Like some doggy daycares, dog parks, etc.

Also, if he gets out the dog catcher fine will be probably be larger.

Other than that... I say keep him the way God made him
Old 11-08-2009, 01:06 PM
swimming upstream

I had Wilson neutered pretty quickly after he got here since he humped everything in sight--lol! It did cut down on that behavior--but I would also guess my not allowing it and redirecting that behavior also influenced it.
Beyond that-_I don't have much to add!
Old 11-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Plus One

We have three unneutered dogs and we don't have any probs but I think we are going to get Fudge neutered anyway just because there is not a chance in the world he will be mated and he is going to hopefully be doing agility and I don't want him to be distracted lol. If it wasn't for that he would probably not be neutered because there is no need and like you said if it's not broken don't fix it.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Yorkie Love

I wouldnt really worry about his personality changing and I would be concerned about testicular cancer in the future. Also I wouldnt worry about him being put under at his weight.

But the idea that all unnuetered dogs are behavior problems is not true.

Too bad you dont have a girl, I was sick of people asking about breeding, so I just started saying Chloe was fixed even though she isnt, LOL... but I guess you cant really do that with a boy.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:22 PM
overdogged

i wouldn't expect to see much change in his personality upon neutering either.

steve is a marker (i suspect that comes from his insecurity more than anything) but that's really the only behavioral issue i have with him. he's 13 months now. he has a retained testicle so he has to be neutered, but i think i'd still go ahead and neuter him anyway when he turns two. i want to wait until he's fully mature, but i don't particularly want to deal with the health issues (prostatitis, perianal fistulas, etc) that are more common in intact dogs, and i don't think that neutering him as an adult will be especially detrimental to him.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Top Dog

My females were bigger humpers that my males ..... not on people though !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/