Hello from oHIo

dawnell

Hello everyone,

My name is Dawnell and I am a proud owner of a 2 1/2 year old Australian Shepherd. Her name is Maiven and she's a tri-merle---beautiful pup with a delightful personality. I will post pics. as soon as I am able.

Cheers!

d.

Hello, Dawnell ~

Can't wait to see those photos. My parents have an elderly tri-merle Aussie, too, O'Reilly. What an amazing breed. We adopted him when he was 3 months old; he was born blind but you'd never know it until you got a close look at his face. I'll bet you have some great stories about Maiven, too.

B

Ben Sada

Ya blind dog do you have to keep him on a leash all the time so he doesn't hurt him self and get all swelled up! Or is it like just having a regular dog that is a sin the poor bugger good luck with her!

dawnell

Thanks everyone!

Actually blind or deaf Australian Shepherds are unfortunately not that uncommon. It's caused from merle to merle breeding and referred to as "lethal white" Any puppy of this breed born with white around it's eyes or ears almost always indicates deafness or blindness. Fortunately, this breed is extremely intelligent and actually adapt rather well with their disabilty. I've heard of deaf aussies who respond well to hand signals.

O'Reilly has spend his life running and playing, hiking in the woods on camping trips and having a wonderful life. I don't think being blind has ever hampered him at all. He's one of the most amazing animals I've ever known.

It is just too sad that the quest for the merle coat leads greedy breeders to follow this path.

Staff online

Members online