Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-07-2009, 10:16 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o

Last edited by Brattina88; 11-07-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
I thought she'd already been diagnosed with glaucoma? Sorry if I'm remembering wrong !
Okay, I found it.
Its called K9 Liquid Health . I switched after I was having problems with the zims ear wash, and then on top of that I was having a hard time finding the ingredients when I needed it (I was going through so much with the fosters). The rescue sells it, that's where I get it from, it is cheaper on Amazon but I enjoy supporting the cause It works better for the dogs I've been in contact with. Actually, the president of the rescue has had a dog who's ears are closed due to infections - and the vet said that they'd have to have surgery, and this stuff has worked on that! Slowly, but surely! Its awesome stuff... Anyway... I'm sounding like a comercial now LOL

And for eyes, does Cocoa (or any of the other dogs) have red eye, or irritation, or dry eye that leads to other things? You could try Genteal Gel Severe... it is over the counter. My vet suggested it for Tara, and when I asked said it is safe for dogs even if there problem isn't "severe". I've found it cheaper at walmart as opposed to a drug store like walgreens. It worked way better and faster than the perscription drops I'd gotten for her, that wasn't working. I've also put them in Maddie's eyes when they were runny and irritated after a hike and I could tell right away that she felt better.
HTH

Old 11-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Top Dog

It is a shame with Cockers .....unfortunately all I've known have eye and ear problems .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-08-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
It is a shame with Cockers .....unfortunately all I've known have eye and ear problems .
If your ever in OH grammy you can come visit my crew

Old 11-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

I'm practically next door to you ! Ollie invited too ?

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-08-2009, 11:40 AM
tessa_s212

No, it isn't anythign to do with the house. Ginger was from a puppymill/pet store. Brownie was from a puppy mill (over 40 dogs in small wire kennels all in a barn - my guess is an Amish puppy mill). Dogy is Ginger and Brownie's pup, so it isn't a surprise that she ended up with eye and ear issues as well. Cocoa and Fudge are both from a puppy mill. And Pepper is from a BYB/petstore owner. She isn't deaf or blind, but she does have ear issues with yeast and infections. Summer, our oldest cocker so far has NO ear OR eye issues. She's are rescue pup - the blonde cocker with a tail. She's 13, so I don't think she'll ever have eye or ear issues. Yay!

Tasha's Springer has really dirty ears, but so far no actual problems(she comes from a BYB with aggression issues, but so far no serious health issues in any of the dogs related to her). And of course, Marq has no eye or ear issues. Just a cocker thing, not a house thing

Our only cocker that doesn't like children is Fudge. All the rest may not have the best manners around children, but they do like them and have no aggression issues.. so that is one area we are lucky that our cockers aren't "typical" cockers. That's another thign my vet was surprised to hear that cocoa loves children so much.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I'm practically next door to you ! Ollie invited too ?
of course

Old 11-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Puppy Dog

All breeds are prone to different things and with cockers unfortunately it is ears and eyes. I had a wonderfully breed cocker who went deaf in her later years, and didn't have many ear infections at all. My second cocker was also from a heavily researched breeder, and had ear problems, but that one did turn out to be a badly bred dog. After that I gave up on my heart dogs and went with an English Springer.

I'm sorry you are having problems, and I hope they turn around. They are fantastic dogs.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa_s212 View Post
Our only cocker that doesn't like children is Fudge. All the rest may not have the best manners around children, but they do like them and have no aggression issues.. so that is one area we are lucky that our cockers aren't "typical" cockers. That's another thign my vet was surprised to hear that cocoa loves children so much.
So typical/breed standard cockers are suppose to bite kids?

Your ear/eye/rage problem dogs all have a common theme... they're from crappy breeding practices. I know a handful of cockers and none of them have any of the problems yours have.... and don't eat children.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I have a poorly bred cocker and a well bred cocker. We don't have eye, ear or child eating issues. Either dog. Seems that poorly bred is the common theme of people complaining about health problems in cockers. While eye and ear issues can be a problem they AREN'T in well bred dogs. You get what you buy. But I'm sick of people writing about it being the breed as a whole. A poorly bred anything can have a mountain of issues.

I'm sorry Cocoa is having problems. But if she came from somewhere shady it sucks, but it's not unusual. I hope she and you find some relief.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground