Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > Forum Help and Information

Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I'd get some college courses under my belt and then decide .
I agree with this... this is sort of what I did. I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted to do, so I took the basic classes first and then picked a major. IME college classes are much more hands on (requires observations, work based learning) than 'regular' high school. That helps you decide what you want to do. Nothing like being stuff in a work based learning for a couple hours a day for a couple of weeks to make you realize you love/hate it!

Good Luck!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Top Dog

Just noticed this thread, thought I'd chime in.

I DEFINATELY, HIGHLY agree that you should go to college before making big career decisions, even an associate's degree is a big deal. There's a volunteer that I work with who's a senior in high school and wants to be a trainer for our organization; I think she'd be really good at it, too, but we will not hire her until she goes to college. In any career with animals there's a lot of health risks - a torn rotator cuff from a dog pulling too hard could end your training career; getting bitten as a vet tech or groomer could be traumatic and make you want to quit; you could develop allergies to pets (I know of some vets who developed allergies and it basically ended their career); and on and on. So it's really important to get some kind of degree that you can fall back on if your plans don't pan out. It doesn't even really matter if the degree is in a field that will help you - I work with a trainer who has a degree in engineering, and it's actually kinda nice because she thinks a lot more rationally than the rest of us. Personally, I double-majored in psychology and social work, and I think both of those degrees help me as a dog trainer every day.

In the mean time, I'd suggest volunteering for a nonprofit rescue, shelter, or dog training organization. In any animal career, it will be important to have hands-on experience with a large variety of dogs, and volunteering should give you a little taste of training, grooming, husbandry, and other important skills, so you can decide from there what path you want to take. You may end up liking the organization you volunteer with so much that you will take a job there!
Old 11-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Top Dog

WHY are your grades too low?
Old 11-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Big Dog

im 18 myself , and not doing good in school . Not saying you absolutely need highschool , but you really should get it . ( same with me .) Im lucky to have a family that has a buisness . But its nothing to do with pets , im going to try and create a dog breeding/grooming/bording area with a huge fenced in yard . My mom used to train dogs , so i think it could work .