What breeds have your dogs been mistaken for?

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
These threads are always worth a good laugh :rofl1:

Let's see...

Rylie has only been called a "teacup chihuahua."

Chloe has been called a husky puppy and a jack russell terrier.

Tucker has been called a yorkie and a pomeranian... and someone argued with me at Pet Supermarket about how his snout is "much too short to be a chihuahua, so he must be a mix" :rolleyes: .

Rory has been called a golden retriever, a borzoi, an aussie, and the latest one is a springer spaniel. Two women walked by us a few days ago and one said to the other: "what breed is that?" The other women answered "springer spaniel." lol.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
hmm, lets see...

Vixie is a Pomeranian...because "chihuahuas dont come with coats like that, and shes too stocky to be a chihuahua"
Ive also been told shes a mix because she has long hair, papillion mix, pomeranian mix and even shitzu mix!

Dodger, hes a pappillion, he has to be with all that long feathering on his ears...like vixie chihuahuas these parts cant be long hiared, and if hes not a pappillion he has to be a mix because chihuahuas are all short haired, fine boned and skinny!
oh its also been INSISTED hes a teacup...(hes only 3lbs so is on the smlaler end of standard) to which i replied...actually i leave my teacups home in the cabinate!

Rosie is a german shepard puppy...depist us telling mistaken folks "actually shes now almsot 3 years old so we can be absolutly certain shes NOT a german shepard...we can also introduce her to the parents...and they still wont have it...shes got a sable "saddle" so MUST eb a shepard puppy!

Ruby is a poodle...but not just any poodle...a neglegted poodle with its hair straightend...shes white...shes "fluffy" in certain spots therefore absolutly HAS to be a poodle...even if i tell them differently...
and forget it if i mention chinese crest im corrected, because those dogs are ALWAYS hairless and ALWAYS ugly...

Jasper...well folks dont know what jasper is...
hes aparently not ugly enough to be "one of those things that always wins the ugly dog contest"
so ive been told everything from terrier to poodle, all say that he has a "skin condition" that makes his hair fall out...or that i shave him...
the best one though...
hes an African Wild(or painted) dog puppy...because hes got those huge ears and the splotches of black and white...

thats his SKIN folks! if i tell them hes a chinese crested....IF they belive me they are blown away, then insist the person i got him from scammed me because hes "not got the right face, they all have dangling tounges and buggy eyes.
the few that actually belive me and are open to it are amazed at how "pretty" and elegant a crestie face realy is!

charlie...well hes never a problem, hes got floppy ears therefore hes a cocker spaniel...
aparently the "nicest looking american cocker" anyone has ever seen...and its a travasty he was neutered because hed do amazingly in the ring...

we always thank them...then explain that he actually doesnt look like breed standard because hes an american x english and a puppy mill rescue...yes hes a very handsome dog...but he doesnt fit either the american or english standard!

DanL

Bruzer (a pug) - mistaken for a pit bull. Seriously.
Daisy- (Great Dane) mistaken for a "bird dog"

And it always cracks me up when people call Gunnar a "K9".

BullMastiffMama

Will Work for Kibble
Capone's been an APBT for as long as I can remember. He's got a big head, so -DUH- he must be a pittie! I just stopped arguing. Seems people thing I'm trying to get out of something and pass him off as something he's not. What hacks me off is because they think he's a pittie, they're spooked by him?

So, if you see an APBT that weighs around 115-120#, beware! He's be known to lick the faces and sniff the pockets of his victims. Also, hide your children. He hates them and will run them down. Once he's got them down, it's terrible.... that's right, he GUARDS them!!! Oh, the horror. :rolleyes:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mine are corgis lately.

Let's see... chihuahua is most common. Then pomeranian. Sheltie. Pekingese.

My favorite is miniature collie or miniature border collie. I don't know where that one comes from. Summer is a toy collie and Mia is a toy border collie.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Ares was called a "Swiss Valloond" (Swedish Vallhund). :rofl1:

A sweet old man kept insisting that Tyr wasn't a Malinois, he was a "Police Dog" (saying it as if it was a breed).

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Romeo has gotten Papillon & Pomeranian pretty often. Nobody ever guesses chihuahua :/

Kenya gets wolfdog pretty often or long coated doberman lol

MicksMom

Except for when he was a wee pup, most people know what Caleb is. Back then, people would ask me if he was a Lab or a Golden. However, I almost fell over this past summer when two boys told me they had a white Pitbull , too.

...Kenya gets wolfdog pretty often or long coated doberman lol
Years ago we had a Siberian/GSD mix that a bunch of people thought was a wolfdog.

Lolas Dad

In my 2 years of having Lola so far I can count on one hand how many times someone correctly identified her breed. For all the times that Lola's breed was mistaken I would need about another 4 hands and another 4 feet to be able to count.

She has been mistaken for a Cavalier King Charles, Pekingese, Cocker spaniel and others.

Saeleofu

Gavroche has been called all sorts of things. Pitbull, American bulldog, chihuahua, dalmation, pointer

Bailey08

Bales is a mix of probably more than 2 breeds, so unusual guesses aren't uncommon.

I have gotten "dingo" several times, though. :)

I get the "K9" or "Police dog" ALOT, as if thats an actual breed :rolleyes:.

Others have mistaken him for a wolf, Malinois, Doberman (that one actually happened when I was walking both my GSD and Dobe, as if you cant see the physical difference between the two), Beauceron (WTH?? How do people know what the hell a beauceron is but cant indetify a GSD), Lab (with pointy ears). Oh and the best one..... a long haired pitbull (he does have a muscular frame with a wide chest and a big head but come on!!) :yikes: :rolleyes:

Giny

Lately, with Boomer and the way I groom him, people just don't know what breed he is. They think he's a mix.

Tilly always looks like a poodle.

Kassie had been called a shih tzu mix once, and a small bichon...very small bichon.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Someone thought my Westland White Terrier was cute *see above* (and yes.. they said the whole name). She has also been mistaken for a scottie (no DAMNIT!), yorkie.

Stryder has never really been mistaken for much.. once he opens his mouth most people know what he is as everyones grandparents seemed to have on as one point or another.... he was mistaken for a poodle and a mini PWD when I grew him out and shaved his butt one summer LOL.

EVERYONE knows that Lincoln and Tsuki are poodles. Only other thing is poodle mixes. No one really guesses cuz poodles only come in black and white so people are more curious.

elegy

overdogged
stevie got australian shepherd all the time when he was a baby (it's that blue merle thing) but not so much now that he's grown up into a collie. but sometimes.

mushroom = black lab.

luce = chocolate lab (hello ears!), vizsla, boxer, or rottweiler.

Toller_08

Surprisingly, hardly anyone guesses Dance's breed anymore. Mostly they just ask of she's one of those Nova Scotia dogs or if she's a Troller... and lots of people seem to know and refer to her properly as a Duck Toller nowadays too. I kind of miss the days when I had to repeatedly tell everybody what she was -- it bugs me sometimes that everyone knows what a Toller is now. The strangest breed guess I ever got for her was when somebody thought she was a pit bull, but that was a while back now. At the vet a couple of months ago though I overheard people talking about Dance. They were a couple and the husband said something a long the lines of "that's a really pretty dog... wonder what it is?", and the wife replied "oh, that's one of those Irish Setters", haha.

Most people seem to know what Keira is, but occassionally someone will ask if she's a Rottweiler or a pit bull. I've been asked multiple times though if Ripley is a chocolate Labrador, haha. I've even been asked that when he's out with Keira, and they always know right away that she's a Doberman.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Pugs = Pit Bulls, Bulldogs, Boston Terriers

Izzie gets called a mix coz she's pretty leggy, Ruby and Chai are smutty so people think they're mixes too...

And when i say 100% Pug no one believes me COZ MY DOGS ARE TOO SKINNY! *facepalm*

Members online

No members online now.