Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Would you consider taxidermy for your special pet?
Noway! It's just too creepy! 40 76.92%
YES! Then my friend could be with me forever! 0 0%
I just don't know at this time. 1 1.92%
I would have to consider the cost and decide based on that. 0 0%
Ewe, I can't believe you are even asking us this! 11 21.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2009, 09:20 PM
<--------Orson

Default Taxidermy or Freeze drying.....

We were talking about this tonight after watching Criminal Minds.

Phoebe has been with us about 9 years now, and my oldest son doesn't even want to discuss what it will be like when her time comes

Anyway, due to the content of tonight's show, we brought up Phoebe concerning taxidermy. I googled and come to a website (a place in Colorado) which offers freeze drying........the end result is like taxidermy but more cost effective.

I don't know if this is something we'd actually do for several reasons........one of course being it seems a bit on the creepy side, LOL

I was wondering about your thoughts on the subject. Is this something you'd consider for your long time family friend? (money not being an issue of course)

If you could include a quick why or why not after your vote, that would be lovely I need some food for thought, LOL
Old 11-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Twin 2

Ohh, now I'm looking forward to watching the recorded criminal minds even more

Honestly, I wouldn't do it. It just seems too creepy for me. When my old BC died it was just my mom and I home and we had to wait the whole day for my dad to come home to bury him. So from 10 am to 6 pm we had him lying on the floor under a sheet. It creeped me out to no end and I didn't want to be anywhere near the livingroom.

I couldn't really imagine seeing my dead pet stuffed everyday. It would just bother me. It took me a good while to get used to not looking for him or thinking we had three dogs or seeing him out of the corner of my eye. It would take even longer if he really was still there, just stuffed. For me it would make moving on much harder seeing them in the house but not alive

I don't think I'm getting my thoughts out very well, but pretty much the idea of it bothers me.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

I'm not a prude by any means but as you said, it's creepy. And that's an understatement.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Top Dog

I think it's creepy...

...regardless of whether my brother wants a "Rowdy" or not
Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm All Ears

No, that's not something I'd ever do. It's just a body, I don't need it around to remember my friend. I'd rather get my pet cremated and bury their ashes and then remember them through memories and photographs of them.

Also, I've had quite a number of dogs in my life and I'm sure I'll have a lot in the future... it would get really quite strange to have a bunch of stuffed dogs all around the place...
Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Also, I've had quite a number of dogs in my life and I'm sure I'll have a lot in the future... it would get really quite strange to have a bunch of stuffed dogs all around the place...
But see, then you wouldn't have to have the photo album on the table of all your old pets. You start talking about old Fluffy and his antics and instead of pulling out a photo you can lead them over to his body to give them a real idea of what he was like
Old 11-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
No kidding.

I find taxidermy tacky to begin with and would never want any in my home. Let alone my own deceased dog lol
Old 11-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

No way! It's not only super creepy, it would just kill me every day, over and over again, to see what use to contain my best friend...as a stiff, staring fixture. It would cause extreme conflict and stress to me. I just know it would.

Even in one of my poems I wrote about conflict with acceptance of the death of my Lyric, there were a couple lines: ."Are you here or are you there, it's hardly plain to me. Stay or go, don't haunt me so, this can not be the way" I wrote that because at first, it's just so hard to let go. So to have a "statue" of the dog staring at me all the time...well.....no way. It would make it so much harder to let go. And it would creep me out as well.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 PM
BusterLove

I wouldn't because after Buster goes there is no way I could handle seeing his body everyday and knowing that what makes him Buster isn't there.
Each to their own though.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Water Junkie

Never! Extremely creepy. . .

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l