Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

Question Designer Babies?

So while we are all on the subject on the life of the unborn, how do you feel about designer babies?

As in choosing what sex, hair color, eye color, etc?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I think it's kinda wierd... but if it's not risky and doesn't hurt the baby or the mother then I say let them do what they want. seems like a cookie cutter type thing and takes away all the excitement of the whole thing to me but if it's not harmful I say knock yourself out

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I think it's kinda wierd... but if it's not risky and doesn't hurt the baby or the mother then I say let them do what they want. seems like a cookie cutter type thing and takes away all the excitement of the whole thing to me but if it's not harmful I say knock yourself out
That.

I would do gender selection if I had a gene of a disease that has the chance of inheriting a life-altering disease to say by having a boy I'll have the chance to pass it on to him.

Also if a person is already 'playing God' by choosing the route of IVF, what is so awful about if they choose the sex of the embyro?

Eye color, hair color, thats more cosmestics than anything. I could care less if my child has brown or blue eyes.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Squishy22

I have two girls. When I am ready to have another, I wouldn't mind making sure I had a boy. That's as far as I'd go with it. I think anything else spoils the surprise. Hair color and eye color do not matter to me, at all. I'd love to experience having a boy though.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

I think it's opening a new can of worm, as it implies selecting embryos that have the characteristics that you want... which makes you wonder what happens to the rest.

I mean, if you could just pick before the embryos are conceived, why not... but the way it works, you do in vitro fertilization, then you check the embryos to see what characteristics they have. I don't know if your question was hypothetical, but it's already possible to know the sex from an embryo... so yeah I can see how you could eventually find the rest too (no idea how advanced science is with that). And you'd be able to choose the embryo you want.

It just seems really wrong to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't consider embryos life, or I wouldn't be able to sleep considering we've lost over 10 of them, and I know that most of them usually just die anyway, but still.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post
I think it's opening a new can of worm, as it implies selecting embryos that have the characteristics that you want... which makes you wonder what happens to the rest.

I mean, if you could just pick before the embryos are conceived, why not... but the way it works, you do in vitro fertilization, then you check the embryos to see what characteristics they have. I don't know if your question was hypothetical, but it's already possible to know the sex from an embryo... so yeah I can see how you could eventually find the rest too (no idea how advanced science is with that). And you'd be able to choose the embryo you want.

It just seems really wrong to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't consider embryos life, or I wouldn't be able to sleep considering we've lost over 10 of them, and I know that most of them usually just die anyway, but still.
I think they have tests to check with embyros have such and such traits. If I could pick from a sickle cell trait embyro or a regular embyo, I'll do it.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Squishy22

I took it as picking and using sperm that only have a Y chromosome. Not picking embryos... That's just going too far to me. As far as gender goes anyway...
Old 11-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

Don't fool with Mother Nature !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

I did not even want to know if I was having a boy or girl.... LOL

So...... It's not something I would ever want....
Old 11-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post

It's not really hypothetical, because I know that you can choose the sex.

I also saw on a TV show a while back that they can not 100% determine eye color/hair color. But they can choose embryos with genes that are more likely to be a certain hair/eye color.

It is more on what you think about doing it. Is it ethical?

I most definitely couldn't do this. I would not be ok with picking some embryos and just throwing the others out.

Also what happens if on the small chance your child does turn out to have a different eye color since it is not 100%. Would you tell your child that you intended for them to have blue eyes, but they ended up with brown? How would that make them feel?